The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 PM

They will both be martins so its not that big of a decision. 1) does it have the neck you are ok with, 2) Do you want the sound to be deeper or more balanced, 3) which color do you like best. Those are in order of priority.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Describing tonewoods is always difficult. However, I have a very good and recent experience with GRW vs. EIR. I had a Martin D28 Marquis that was simply terrific. A great example of a Marquis. I later bought the D28 Authentic 37, which is even more true to the golden era. It had Madagascar B&S. After selling those two for various reasons, I stumbled on a custom shop D28 Golden Era with GRW.

To my ear, the Madagascar rosewood has more highs and mids than EIR. EIR has more bass. I actually prefer the EIR compared to Madagascar for that reason. Before finding the GRW guitar, I was prepared to buy another D28 Marquis.

However, I was surprised to find that GRW has the same highs and mids as Madagascar, but it also includes the missing bass from EIR. These three guitars all had Adi tops and golden era style bracing. I was able to play the two guitars, along with a Marquis, at the same time.

I feel lucky to have stumbled on this special guitar, while the GRW is still available.

I can't say if it's worth $1000 extra for anyone else. But, I didn't look at it that way. It was worth what I paid for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 01:08 AM

If you enjoy the Martin bass thump, you will miss it in Guatemalan. Guatemalan has glassy trebles, but is lacking in bass. It's balance reminds me of Ovangkol to be honest.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:04 AM

Cool A Rose Is A Rose

You can not go wrong no matter what with rosewood period . Like it or not it's the cleanest sounding tone wood to me .

I have a Madagascar rosewood Washburn dread - it's sweet & rings clear like a bell .

Cocobolo is also a loud & clear ringing son of a gun tone wood as is cherry & walnut .

Easy :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
If you enjoy the Martin bass thump, you will miss it in Guatemalan. Guatemalan has glassy trebles, but is lacking in bass. It's balance reminds me of Ovangkol to be honest.

I had the opposite experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I had the opposite experience.

Lol this is why asking for wood recommendations online is hard! I wish I could play it first.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Lol this is why asking for wood recommendations online is hard! I wish I could play it first.

There is no substitute for playing it. I will admit that the first and only GRW guitar I have played is the one I bought. So, I have no idea if mine is an outlier. My experience with Madagascar is wider and more consistent.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 AM

Talking

I have a Guatemalan OM Martin with Red Spruce top. It is not heavy to trebles, just very balanced across the strings. All the notes ring clean and clear, a bit glassy metallic sounding, not muddy at all. Good bass.

Maybe the tone should be more credited to the Red Spruce, but then maybe it's the combo of Red Spruce and Guatemalan.

The icing on the cake is the beautiful look of the GRW. This is a keeper.

Jan
Old 06-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Martin View Post
I was having the same dilemma about Guatemalan Rosewood a few months ago and ended up pulling the trigger on a Custom Shop Martin OM with Guatemalan and Adi VTS. While that combo may not be for everyone, but for me it's the best Martin OM I have ever played. There are a few dealers that will have them in stock in different configurations that may let you return it if you don't like it (usually you will have to pay shipping both ways if you decide to return it. If you go that route, be sure to discuss that up front). I'd say go for it, but only you can make that decision.
I have a CS-000-42 made with the same woods and I feel Martin has a great source for the Guat or Guat is simply better sounding to me. I also have a martin with Guat and sitka VTS. The sitka vts top looks cleaner than the adi vts IMO but the adi sounds better to me
Old 06-03-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
I have a CS-000-42 made with the same woods and I feel Martin has a great source for the Guat or Guat is simply better sounding to me. I also have a martin with Guat and sitka VTS. The sitka vts top looks cleaner than the adi vts IMO but the adi sounds better to me

Not sure if I specified. The one I'm contemplating has a Sitka non-VTS top
Old 06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Not sure if I specified. The one I'm contemplating has a Sitka non-VTS top
As mentioned I have one guat with adi vts and one with sitka VTS. love them both and I assume I would like the wood with a standard sitka top but I do not own one.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
As mentioned I have one guat with adi vts and one with sitka VTS. love them both and I assume I would like the wood with a standard sitka top but I do not own one.

Thanks for the advice. I'm very tempted to go with the Guat.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Default RESURRECTION!

I知 new here so won稚 hesitate to resurrect threads of importance to me. I知 not expert enough to comment on the very fine tone differences but, I can say this with no doubt whatsoever: Guatemalan is much better looking than EIRW. This is the reason I became smitten with the guitar I知 picking up tomorrow. It absolutely kills every single HD28 Indian I looked at. And yes, it was more expensive but also built in the custom shop with other upgrades so, thrilled with it here.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
I知 new here so won稚 hesitate to resurrect threads of importance to me. I知 not expert enough to comment on the very fine tone differences but, I can say this with no doubt whatsoever: Guatemalan is much better looking than EIRW. This is the reason I became smitten with the guitar I知 picking up tomorrow. It absolutely kills every single HD28 Indian I looked at. And yes, it was more expensive but also built in the custom shop with other upgrades so, thrilled with it here.
Guatemalan rosewood is gorgeous, but it sounds better than EIR too in my opinion. It's a really pricey upgrade though. I have it on my Martin and my experience is that it's warmer than EIR and has deeper bass output. I think it's somewhere between Braz and EIR, if that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Good reason to restart the thread. I'll be interested in your thoughts once you've played it a while (oh and a couple of pics too )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion