The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Guatemalan vs EIR Rosewood

Hi all,
How would Guatemalan Rosewood compare to EIR when paired with a Sitka top?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Who is the builder and what size guitar are we talking about ?

Don't have enough info to go on.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Who is the builder and what size guitar are we talking about ?

Don't have enough info to go on.

Martin OM-28
Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 AM

generally, EI has a darker tone than Guat, though in my opinion EI is better looking still I would prefer Guat because of the sound especially with a Martin build.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM

IMO, Guatemalan has a lot more sustain. The overtones are also more complex. I love it.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Hmm. I don't know that I'd pay the premium for a Martin OM-28 with GRW. Personally, I think most of the tone is in the top and the bracing and that individual guitar.

Have you played an OM-28 with a Sitka VTS top and good old EIR ? Also, are you open to trying other brands with a Martin voicing such as Santa Cruz or Bourgeois ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hmm. I don't know that I'd pay the premium for a Martin OM-28 with GRW. Personally, I think most of the tone is in the top and the bracing and that individual guitar.

Have you played an OM-28 with a Sitka VTS top and good old EIR ? Also, are you open to trying other brands with a Martin voicing such as Santa Cruz or Bourgeois ?

I haven't played a Sitka VTS yet. I actually started a thread recently asking about this. It's something I've considered as well. There are so many darn choices and it's hard to find examples of each to help with the decision. The VTS seems to be about $500 more than a standard and the Guat is about $1000 more than a standard.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 AM

There is a lot of tonal overlap with rosewoods.....

EIR is the staple, there are wonderful Sitka/EIR guitars. Personally I prefer some of the other rosewoods, to me EIR can sometimes have a muddy low end, but that also applies more to dreads IMO than OM/000's.

Martin OM's are my sweet spot, had about a dozen and on purpose different wood combinations. Madagascar took Brazilians place when Brazilian was unavailable, and now that Madagascar is running short it looks like Guatemalan is the heir apparent for Martin's premium wood over EIR.

Personally I would take Madagascar and Amazon (which I've owned) and Guatemalan (played a few) over EIR, but again I don't think EIR muddies on OM's like it sometimes can with dreads.

It would come down to the specific guitar, but I've found the upcharge for my Madagascars (Alpine and Adi tops) worth it, and I think Guatemalan falls in the same category. Whether it's worth it to you, is up to you.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
There is a lot of tonal overlap with rosewoods.....

EIR is the staple, there are wonderful Sitka/EIR guitars. Personally I prefer some of the other rosewoods, to me EIR can sometimes have a muddy low end, but that also applies more to dreads IMO than OM/000's.

Martin OM's are my sweet spot, had about a dozen and on purpose different wood combinations. Madagascar took Brazilians place when Brazilian was unavailable, and now that Madagascar is running short it looks like Guatemalan is the heir apparent for Martin's premium wood over EIR.

Personally I would take Madagascar and Amazon (which I've owned) and Guatemalan (played a few) over EIR, but again I don't think EIR muddies on OM's like it sometimes can with dreads.

It would come down to the specific guitar, but I've found the upcharge for my Madagascars (Alpine and Adi tops) worth it, and I think Guatemalan falls in the same category. Whether it's worth it to you, is up to you.......

Do you think the $1,000 up charge is worth it?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Do you think the $1,000 up charge is worth it?
I would have to play the specific guitar and make a decision. IMO no particular top or back/side wood guarantees a great guitar.

And my tastes aren't yours, a stranger can't tell what's right for you. Would I take a Guatemalan OM over EIR, more than likely, I have taken Madagascar and Amazon over EIR, and they were "pricey".

You may prefer a standard OM-28, they are fine guitars. Being unsure like you indicate my best advice is play before you buy, let your ears decide not mine....

Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I would have to play the specific guitar and make a decision. IMO no particular top or back/side wood guarantees a great guitar.

And my tastes aren't yours, a stranger can't tell what's right for you. Would I take a Guatemalan OM over EIR, more than likely, I have taken Madagascar and Amazon over EIR, and they were "pricey".

You may prefer a standard OM-28, they are fine guitars. Being unsure like you indicate my best advice is play before you buy, let your ears decide not mine....

Wish I could it's hard with a guitar only for sale online and being a custom shop hunter most stores will not have in stock. That's what makes it so hard!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Wish I could it's hard with a guitar only for sale online and being a custom shop hunter most stores will not have in stock. That's what makes it so hard!
Odds are it will be a wonderful guitar, the nut is probably 1-3/4", your HD-28 is 1-11/16", and the neck profile is probably different, have you considered these things?

If you're unsure don't pull the trigger until you can play one, I think Martin is going to be offering a number of Guatemalan guitars as they phase out Madagascar. Best of luck.........

Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Odds are it will be a wonderful guitar, the nut is probably 1-3/4", your HD-28 is 1-11/16", and the neck profile is probably different, have you considered these things?

If you're unsure don't pull the trigger until you can play one, I think Martin is going to be offering a number of Guatemalan guitars as they phase out Madagascar. Best of luck.........

I specifically was looking for a 1 &3/4 nut. My previous Taylor's have had those and it was comfortable. I've been playing more finger style and wanted a smaller body and larger but compared to the HD28. I'm not entirely sure about the neck but I believe they are both low profile necks.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:24 PM

I was having the same dilemma about Guatemalan Rosewood a few months ago and ended up pulling the trigger on a Custom Shop Martin OM with Guatemalan and Adi VTS. While that combo may not be for everyone, but for me it's the best Martin OM I have ever played. There are a few dealers that will have them in stock in different configurations that may let you return it if you don't like it (usually you will have to pay shipping both ways if you decide to return it. If you go that route, be sure to discuss that up front). I'd say go for it, but only you can make that decision.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi - solid advice from rich to chew on. I Will offer my experience with a Martinesque OM with Guatemalian and Itailian. It was made by Howard Klepper so not a "one for one" with a Martin but certainly built in the Martin tradition. It is one of my favorite guitars. I tend to play it more than my Brazilian guitars. Hard to describe tone but I would describe it as "pretty". Sustains well, good clarity with a nice resonance. It is one of those guitars that vibrates nicely when played.

Good luck! I like martins, something about them seems like the essential guitar to me. I am sure you will be happy however you go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion