The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Singing and Soundports

I noticed something this week while I was playing a guitar that had a soundport. I loved hearing my instrumental playing - especially fingerstyle - through the port but when I was singing and strumming it was too much sound. I could barely hear my own voice above the loudness of the guitar. Just wondered if any other singer/performers have had this experience. I imagine it would depend on each guitar and singer’s voice but I found the drawback outweighed the benefits for me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Interesting observation, Jayne. I love having a soundport when I am accompanying my singing finger style, but I tried this yesterday, and found it more challenging to sing well if I'm strumming loudly. It's interesting, because when I record it to hear how I'm doing, my voice actually comes through fine and isn't overwhelmed by the strumming. But my singing isn't as good- I can't hear myself as clearly and I think I try to out sing the guitar. Hadn't thought about it this way before. I'll have to try a strumming song with my guitar that doesn't have a soundport and pay attention.

beth
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Default sing/soundport

Not a problem I have experienced (not to fear, I have my own).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Jayne, Jayne, Jayne that's a beer bottle holder. If you put your bottle there, you will be able to hear yourself fine.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Jayne, Jayne, Jayne that's a beer bottle holder. If you put your bottle there, you will be able to hear yourself fine.

I knew I could count on you folks to steer me in the right direction! ;-)

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I noticed something this week while I was playing a guitar that had a soundport. I loved hearing my instrumental playing - especially fingerstyle - through the port but when I was singing and strumming it was too much sound. I could barely hear my own voice above the loudness of the guitar. Just wondered if any other singer/performers have had this experience. I imagine it would depend on each guitar and singer’s voice but I found the drawback outweighed the benefits for me.

Best,
Jayne
Interesting point and it makes sense. I don't sing but I can imagine that it would be frustrating to have the guitar overpowering your voice. I've certainly had the opposite problem of having other instruments make it hard for me to hear what I'm playing (no sound ports here). That can lead to a spiral of trying to play louder, becoming self-conscious of the playing volume instead of just letting it flow, struggling to hear if the playing changes sound right, playing louder in order to hear, and ultimately messing up. Others may be immune to this sort of crash-and-burn scenario but I could definitely see it happening to me. I can well imagine that the same thing could happen when a singer can't hear their own voice clearly.

There are sound ports with closable sliding doors but making that work on the fly when transitioning from an instrumental to a vocal (or the opposite) would be quite the challenge. Interesting issue, as I said. I'm reminded of those knee-controlled banjo mutes on old B&D banjos. Maybe the guitar needs something equivalent, although the problem in the case of guitar isn't the actual volume but where it gets directed.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM

I've done a lot of research on ports, but this is something I had not considered or heard of before. I know how disconcerting it is when you can't hear the guitar in a 'dead' room. I've only made a couple that I could not sing over in normal circumstances, and they were 12-string cannons. That's a bit less of a problem, since you can just back off a little on the guitar.

How big is the port on your guitar? Some of them are pretty large, and put out a lot of sound; maybe more than you need.

The port, of course, is acting as a monitor, directing a bit of (mostly) high frequency sound toward you that you would not normally hear unless it came back in room reflections. For the most part any port you can see into as you play won't alter the sound of the guitar out in front too much, and you're singing will carry fine at a 'normal' level, even if it doesn't sound like it to you. Don't give in to the temptation to over sing; it doesn't sound as good, and you'll blow your vocal chords out before the end of the gig.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I have no guitars with sound ports, so I had not experienced this issue, but it makes sense. Very interesting!

- Glenn
Old 02-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

My experience is exactly the same. When singing with a guitar the aim is to project the sound forward. I’ve found that a soundport throws that out of balance, throwing sound upwards, and I don’t like it.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Musical minimalist

I've never had an issue personally, but I'm wondering if it doesn't have this effect if you have a less powerful voice than some. I've never had a problem with vocal projection but I could understand if you have a softer voice it may give you some "competition" You can always get a small piece of foam and put it in the port if it gets to be too much. Or, of course have a "cover" made for it.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Soundport was why i returned a savoy when they first came out, overpowered me and I have a strong voice. Mainly just not used to the sound coming right at me. I just sang different no matter what and wasn't natural and I couldn't really tone it down enough to truly make a difference.

McPherson touring was MUCH better for that as well as cargo since not directed right up at singer but at an angle.

Would imagine ears might adjust in time if you give it a chance but my singing is
By no means perfect so anything that throws me off I have to avoid.

Sure a lot of people will chime in with it doesn't effect them but everyone is different and sensitive to different frequencieS but lots of people think they can sing with any guitar...I just can't personally.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post

Best,
Jayne
I'm never acoustic anymore, always plugged, and use the amp to ensure there's a complementary relationship between vocals and guitar. Even in practice I'm plugged because I need to know I'm staying sharp for my audience (wallpaint).
Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Singing and Soundports

Thanks for all the replies so far. I played these guitars at a guitar store and don’t actually own a guitar with one. I am considering a custom built so was curious about it as an option. I’ll experiment more but am leaning towards not having one. I probably could project more but do not want to over stress my voice and there is no need to.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jayne,

Your post got me wondering, so I just went and played my one guitar with a soundport and listened to the sound with or without my hand covering the sideport. Not a great deal of difference when I strummed it or fingerpicked it.

I have another guitar of the same model without a soundport and again the difference between the one with and the one without is not great. I don't think this particular soundport would upset my singing (although my family will tell you that my singing is already upset!).

So I am thinking that the impact of the soundport may vary with the guitar and the builder. Worth talking about with your builder?

Col
Old 02-19-2018, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Makes sense to me too, Jayne.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion