The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Tuning 1/2 step down

I was playing around with a song that required turning a half step down and accidentally discovered that I really liked the sound and tone. So after researching a little, I thought I would ask the experts here a couple questions:

1. If you tune a half step down can you play songs that are in standard tuning?

2. Will tuning down a 1-2 step usually result in a softer tone or sound?

3. What about turning down a full step and playing a song in standard tuning? What result ?

Any other info you could share would be great.

Thanks JED
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Yes, you can play songs as you normally would while tuned down a half step. It's sometimes done to make it easier to sing and it's doubtful anyone will know the difference.

The downside, depending on your action, your guitar strings and your playing style, is that the strings can feel and sound a little rubbery. Good luck.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Yes, you can play songs as you normally would while tuned down a half step. It's sometimes done to make it easier to sing and it's doubtful anyone will know the difference.

The downside, depending on your action, your guitar strings and your playing style, is that the strings can feel and sound a little rubbery. Good luck.
Thanks. I suppose if I left it 1/2 step down, a guitar with low action may buzz since string tension is different ?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Thanks. I suppose if I left it 1/2 step down, a guitar with low action may buzz since string tension is different ?
That's a possibility but it depends on your action, string gauge and how hard you play. I do it when I've had several gigs in a row and am singing a bit froggy but I have friends who gig like that all the time. I prefer standard tuning but you should play around with it and see what you think.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM

I've been using 12.5-54 medium-light strings tuned down half a step, as well as medium 13-56 strings tuned down a whole step.
I like the extra oomph on the bottom end, and since I don't sing or accompany anyone it doesn't interfere with that.
I do miss that high end air, especially on the Taylors.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM

A ton of guys who play electric tune down 1/2 step. The tone seems to be thicker and richer than standard tuning in many cases. I would assume it would be similar with acoustic. If you need to play in standard tuning you can always tune down and then put a capo on the 1st fret.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM

I’ve tune down as low as Db standard and only then I get some buzzing and intonation issues on 12-53 strings. But tuning down half a step won’t affect playability in a significant way. If you want to play standard songs on Eb tuning, just capo the first fret.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
I was playing around with a song that required turning a half step down and accidentally discovered that I really liked the sound and tone.
You're in good guitar company.

Whatever works is a good motto here.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanks guys. 13s on my LL6 down 1/2 might be what I need
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Another question:

My L-series Yamaha calls for 12s. So if I put 13s on the Yamaha and then turn it a half step down should that reduce the tension to get me back where Yamaha recommends?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Probably, but I wouldn't worry too much about what Yamaha recommends. It's how it feels and sounds to you that matters.
(My own guitar hero Bert Jansch use 11s on his L-series Yamaha, even when tuning down to DADGAD.)
13s a half-step down should be close enough to 12s in standard to need no truss rod adjustment. There are plenty of string tension calculation sites if you want actual figures. Such as http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

A lot of songs are recorded in Eb (half down), especially as noted some especially great blues rock guys. I keep a couple guitars down half step for a couple reasons - one being some songs were recorded that way and also because I like the lower tone, and some songs are easier sung over that. I definitely like my maple Taylor down a half step to temper it's chime.

BUT one thing to watch out for as you're learning songs - if you're learning from a recording, you may want to be tuned as close as possible to the recording. Obviously if a song is usually done half step down, you'll have better learning experience playing and learning that way.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 PM

One of today’s really good acoustic fingerstylists, former AGFer Daria Semikina, once said she tunes down a full step. Her stuff sounds great. Here’s a sample:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40fmvjU6TWc

She no longer posts here but is still active on Facebook and YouTube. Worth a look, IMO.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Thanks guys. Good info. Been playing all week down 1/2. I'm liking it.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM

I recently tuned my 000-18 down a full step to play some Elliott Smith songs and "yesterday" by the Beatles. Now I don't want to play anything else. Love the tone and ease of play.

Went back to playing my HD-28 in standard and it felt so hard to play. Just need to switch back and forth more often to keep sharp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write