The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
But one of the reasons some digital mixers are not necessarily expensive is that they require or would greatly benefit from an iPad -- which can be expensive. As in Behringer does and QSC doesn't. So you'd have to factor that in.
Your point is well made. I have an older Ipad that I will likely use. I also bought an inexpensive Android tablet (less than $50) that I will either use along with the Ipad or alone. It works fine for this task. The Ipad and Android apps appear to be stable and intuitive and give the sense of a physical mixer in ease of use.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Having used digital mixers, for me it's only cons. Expense and complexity head the list. I don't want to go through menus and sub menus to make a slight adjustment to the bass on channel 3, I just want to reach over and do it.

Might be fine for the studio, but on a gig, give me analog.
I'm with you on that. K.I.S.S. principle.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM

When calculators were first released, there were similar debates to this about whether or not slide rules or electronic calculators were better. It took a while, and some engineers and mathematicians held out for quite a while, but in the end...well...let me just point out that a lot of you are going to have to google “slide rule” to even know what it is!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 PM

I played a gig recently with a drummer who had his own PA (go figure). He booked us to play with him in a bar he owned. He tried to fine tune the mix using an iPad. The problem is the controls are so small it's hard to fine tune so we helplessly stood in front of the audience while the PA howled and squealed. Folks got so mad they started walking out. They were giving us the stinky eye because we were fronting the gig and there wasn't a **** thing we could do. It was a horrible gig and we decided we'd never work with him again.

The irony is that the PA was sitting right beside the drummer within easy reach to tweak using good old fashioned knobs. He kept trying to caress the iPad screen to no avail.

It was awful.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I played a gig recently with a drummer who had his own PA (go figure). He booked us to play with him in a bar he owned. He tried to fine tune the mix using an iPad. The problem is the controls are so small it's hard to fine tune so we helplessly stood in front of the audience while the PA howled and squealed. Folks got so mad they started walking out. They were giving us the stinky eye because we were fronting the gig and there wasn't a **** thing we could do. It was a horrible gig and we decided we'd never work with him again.

The irony is that the PA was sitting right beside the drummer within easy reach to tweak using good old fashioned knobs. He kept trying to caress the iPad screen to no avail.

It was awful.
yes the controls are like made for a kids hands.
best to use the boards wheel. I think they
have a way to go like autonomous cars.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-16-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 PM

I'm extremely happy to have upgraded from analog (Yamaha MG something) to digital (QSC Touchmix). So many more tools available, all in one compact box. The Touchmix series has a built-in screen, and can also be run with a tablet. Both are easy to use.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
The problem is the controls are so small it's hard to fine tune.
Alas fine print is a factor on stage. It's definitely part of the equation. I have to figure out what'll work for me (probably one of T1/T4S/Play Acoustic to pair with L1C) that I can change scenes on without reaching for reading glasses. But that's another thread.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Everyone recommends buying an external router. I don't know about the other manufacturers..
That's what I did. Used routers are cheap on Craigslist and similar sites. I bought an ASUS RT-N66U, which sells new for $100-150 (originally about $250), in perfect condition for $30.

The advantages of the external router include multiple bands, the ability to hard-wire my laptop to the mixer and still use WiFi for my tablet. When I'm at home I connect the router WAN connection to my home network so I have internet access while still maintaining a separate mixer network.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-05-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
He tried to fine tune the mix using an iPad. The problem is the controls are so small it's hard to fine tune so we helplessly stood in front of the audience while the PA howled and squealed.
For clarity:

It's worth reminding ourselves that feedback/howlaround is not caused by the mixer, it's (effectively) caused by inappropriate choice and placement of mics/pickups and speakers. If you find yourself fighting f/b during the gig then your preparation was flawed or something has changed. Analogue/digital does not figure on that side of the equation. Recognising where it is in the system is better done with the ears and logical deduction, remedying it should be no more complicated on digital when you understand the tools at your disposal. I have big, fat fingers - no issue.

I remember one of the first times I was up close with a large analogue mixer and associated outboard. Had I been left to engineer a gig that day it would have been (slow) carnage. These days, having developed some understanding of the detail and overall vision of the process I could handle that with no pressure, so long as all the patch leads were in order.

The same is true for digital. You only have to consider all the many options when you're designing your setup, most of them will be irrelevant to your needs, although it may not stay that way as your confidence and understanding develops.

For instance - I put all my wedges on a VCA, meaning I can drop the overall level on all wedges with one fader without sacrificing individual control. This was not suggested in the manual, I picked it up on a discussion forum.

Drums, vocals and melody instruments are on stereo groups with overall as well as individual control.

Once I've set up on channels I actually mix mainly on VCAs, one thing that would not be an option on an analogue desk where it would be 3/4 faders on one hand.

I don't need to read small print as I know where everything is on the screen, I have colour coded various things where the option exists.

These are examples of how my workflow has adapted to manage the many new options in a live situation. Having made those changes in my setup/workflow I now mix as happily on any of the digital desks I'm faced with as I ever did on any analogue.

Manual (stick shift) vs automatic, anyone?

P.S. for the record, I also struggle with setting up multi FX pedals in a hurry, particularly the Zoom A2 now that the printed lettering has worn off, but that's a good example of bad design which hopefully is becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 04-05-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Had a QSC TouchMix 16. The feature set and small form factor are amazing. I loved it when I had two hands available to mix.

However, when I'm playing and running the sound on my solo show, a quick EQ tweak was a pain. I sold it and use either a Soundcraft EFX 8 or and A&H MixWiz now.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification