The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-07-2016, 11:51 PM

Default 1st Guitar Build; Advice/Suggestions

Hi all,

New to the forum. I have been a long time guitar player, however, this will be my first build. I am a complete newbie with a small space in my garage and limited tools with a great desire to complete this guitar and hopefully many more. (Standard Steel String Flat Top; Hopefully an archtop one day down the road).

My work is an on call situation which limits me from taking a regularly scheduled class, however, very interested in working with a luthier/teacher in the Orange County area on a one on one basis if that opportunity presents itself.

If not my plan is to purchase Guitarmaking, tradition and technology by William R. Cumpiano and do my very best at going at it on my own. Look forward to posting progress pics as well as gathering knowledge from this great site.

If there is anyone in the OC area that would ever like to get together or is open to teaching/building together let me know. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Brendon
Old 11-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Hey Brendon, welcome to the forum.

I used the Cumpiano book for my first build, very good book I still use it as reference.

My advice for what it's worth is to make sure you don't forget to have fun.
It's not an easy project, you're going to make some mistakes. Don't worry about it, just call them features and move on.

Be sure to post lots of pics and ask any questions you want. The people here are extremely talented and are always willing to help.

SA
Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Hi Brendon - greetings from one new forum member to another! I've just joined, although I've been lurking and reading for a couple of months.

I'm keen to see how you get on - I've just embarked on my first ever build using the Cumpiano book and am enjoying it very much. But it's early days, who knows how I'll feel in a few months!

I don't play guitar, had no woodworking tools and have next to no spare time. So this is bound to go well for me! I'm keeping a blog to remind me, if I ever get to the end, how I got there.

Hope to follow your thread, learn from your photos and admire the finished article.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Hi! welcome to the forum.
I'm VERY new myself (working through my first build too).
Here are a few things I would recommend being a bit into my first build.

1. Start with a kit. This keeps you from having to thickness sand too much and find a side bender OR try and bend on an iron. These are great skills to develop, but for me there was PLENTY to think about BESIDES these issues at the beginning. You don't HAVE to start with a kit, but trust me.. there is PLENTY to learn from a kit, and you can end up with a great instrument.

2. Grab some basic tools. QUALITY straight edge, something to measure with that is precise, a good set of chisels, and a few files. Make or buy some true sanding blocks. (Don't feel like you have to have every tool stewmac sells... you don't).

3. Check out the youtube videos from Blues Creek Guitars on Youtube. Particularly the KIT build videos are VERY helpful, especially if you build in a similar way. I also have a few of the books that folks recommend, and they are good books, but I learn so much better from seeing someone DO it in front of me.

4. When you take wood away do so slowly. You'd be surprised how fast something falls into parameters, and then PAST what you want.

5. Don't be afraid to mess up. Yes, try your best to figure out what is going on before you start a particular step, but don't be afraid of messing up or you'll find yourself paralyzed! Someone recently told me that there are a multitude of small things that have to be gotten right to make up the big picture... they are right.. but just do one thing at once. Remember its just wood. Things can be repaired and corrected (to a point).

6. Get creative with your workspace and jigs! Need something to hold the guitar body firm while you scrape the sides? Google it and head to lowes for a few parts and make it yourself This is part of the fun!

7. Finally, enjoy the process. You're going to end up with a LOT of time invested, so make it low stress, and enjoyable. Enjoy the quiet.. the sounds of the sanding blocks or the scraping of the wood smooth. Take your time, and chill. For me this has been big. With everything going on in my life this was a perfect respite, and I hope will continue to be for a very long time.

Again, I'm a SUPER noob, but these are a few things that came to mind

Here's a link to my build. I don't know much, but if i can help in any way let me know

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=444717
Old 11-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
2. Grab some basic tools. QUALITY straight edge, something to measure with that is precise, a good set of chisels, and a few files. Make or buy some true sanding blocks. (Don't feel like you have to have every tool stewmac sells... you don't).
I just used a 24" x 16" construction square for most everything. A digital caliper is handy. Only needed a 1/2" chisel to do most of my work, have others but this is my go to. Sanding block, any scrap piece of wood that looked reasonably flat and the right size worked. Got a piece of granite counter top and use it as a base for sandpaper to sharpen my chisel with. Not razor sharp but using up to 600 grit gives an acceptable edge. (for starting out I think it is an acceptable way to get the job done without buying a cart full of equipment) A scraper cuts down on sanding and can level the surface. Would not think of leveling a rosette or binding any other way.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM

I second the kit recommendation. Its important to get the basics of guitar construction down before worrying about advance skills like thicknessing and bending and building necks. If you keep with it there is plenty of time for that.

Take a look at Kenneth Michael Guitars. Ken puts together excellent kits and will work with you through the entire process. He also has a kit option that includes all of the needed tools at a very good price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair