The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Pine, it looks like you have a Lucky 13 and an x7? How do they compare to each other? Also does anyone have any insight as to how much larger an x20 feels as compared to a x7?
I'm not the best person to ask, as my ears aren't as discerning as most other folks here seem to be. That said, I'll give it my best.

The X7 is the most comfortable guitar I've played. It just fits to my body so well. (I only play sitting) Tonally, it is a great sounding guitar. I like it much better than the GS-Mini that it replaced. It is brighter than the L13, and not quite as loud. The nut width is the same, so no adjustment needed when switching between the two. I do notice the scale length difference, but get used to it after a couple of minutes.

Hope this helped!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:16 PM

How does the neck on the X7 compare to the GS-Mini as far as thickness/profile?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM

Sean,

Very useful. Thank you for your comments. I don't plan to do anything to my X20 as I use a locking strap when standing. It's just one of those annoying things I will continue to live with.

I might try something similar to what you suggest for the wooden uke. I have to check bracing and/or see if I can do it all externally or have to reach into the sound port. It will be a fun adventure. I managed to play it for about 1.5 hours yesterday afternoon while waiting for a kid without dropping the uke, so there's not too much of a rush. I was faking Christmas music requests too. Note to self: Need to learn more songs.

On another note, apparently there are not any CF baritone ukes to be found. Hint! Hint!

Say hi to Alistair for me and let him know I am still putting in an hour or two on his creation just about every day. Other than scratch marks on the top the guitar is no different from the day the leprechauns delivered it to my house.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Guest 928

Mot:

I suppose it's not very acceptable, but I tuned my Black Bird uke as a baritone. The Black Bird is a beautiful and great sounding addition to CF instruments.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:02 PM

It is certainly possible to tune a tenor uke model as a baritone - a couple of people in our ukulele club do just that. You might have to change gauges of strings, and possibly widen a nut slot or two to accommodate wound strings. I think you can buy sets of baritone strings targeted for use on 17" scale tenor ukes.

Baritone is the "red headed step child" of the ukulele world, and a minority of total ukulele sales. I don't see the pent-up demand for a CF baritone uke. It was invented so guitar players would not have to think about transposing chords. Imagine that.... asking guitar players to learn something new.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

I have soft spot for red-headed step-childs. I am also a lazy guitar player. I gave banjos, dulcimers, mandolins, and other string instruments a chance, but I realized that I would be lucky if I ever got good with any particular instrument--I decided to test the waters with the guitar.

I am still not particularly good with a guitar, but every once in a while I step out and try a banjo/guitar or a baritone uke. As you rightfully suggest, I can hardly imagine being asked to learn something new. Works for me.

On the other hand, the uke people in your club who deviate should probably be punished in some way. I'm thinking maybe shunning or banishment. But you are probably nicer than me and let those red-headed step-Childs live.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudel View Post
How does the neck on the X7 compare to the GS-Mini as far as thickness/profile?
I can give some impressions with these two. The GSmini was my first small guitar that really sounded like a guitar (after having a Martin Backpacker and a Washburn Rover). I hauled the Mini around by boat and RV for thousands of miles. Even played out with it on several occasions. I still have the Mini, but don't play it much these days.

The X7 is more comfortable and better sounding than the GSmini (to me). The body on the X7 is a bit smaller than the Mini, but the X7 sounds much bigger.

Yes, I'm getting to the neck: I really like the feel of the Taylor necks. The GSmini has a 1 11/16" nut width, a scale of 23.5 inches. The neck on the X7 is a bit thicker feeling, has a 1 3/4" nut width, a scale of 24 inches. Sounds like they should feel somewhat similar, but the neck on the X7 feels more like a bigger guitar, the Mini can feel a bit... well, smaller. Both are comfortable, but the X7 is my preference. I do some songs capoed at the 2nd or 4th fret, and don't feel cramped with the X7. Can't say the same about the Mini.

Also, the X7 has a cutaway, so it is easier and more comfortable to work up the neck.

All that said, the GSmini is a great little guitar. The X7 is greater. Oh, and there is that whole "ease of carbon fiber" thing. Both have good gig bags. Both are comfortable, but the X7 is WAY ahead on the ergonomics.

My 2¢ worth, yours at absolutely no charge. Today only. While supplies last. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Ask your hands, ears, and heart if one of these guitars might be right for you.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 PM

So if a baritone uke is a red headed step child, how are the bass and contrabass ukes welcomed?

I played the Blackbird Uke. I like it. It had a low G. If I got one, then I would keep it as is. I switch keys (badly) all the time, so I don't care too much what key the instrument is tuned in. For me some songs work best only in one or two keys without a capo, but others work in almost any key.

By the way, don't tell Alistair but I am trying to get Emerald to offer a simple uke of some sort. The amicus is cool, but not really that simple. The synergy uke looks awesome but probably won't fit in most luggage. Since Joe already has the concert size covered, I figured a baritone would be the way to go (with buttons for a strap).

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
..... the uke people in your club who deviate should probably be punished in some way. I'm thinking maybe shunning or banishment. But you are probably nicer than me and let those red-headed step-Childs live.
Evan, they are punished -- they must have their own chord charts and cannot cheat by looking at someone elses's hand for chord shapes. On our club web site, I have posted baritone chord charts and even left-handed, so I try not to discriminate.

Mot, I welcome bass uke, and have a Kala U-bass myself. With a group that skews heavily toward beginners, they are "tempo challenged". Every song ends up 30% faster than it starts, so a good steady bass player is a welcome influence. I'll be quiet about CF baritones going forward. All of my ukes have low G strings now, except one. I like the Blackbird ukulele a lot - pondering a Farallon tenor in eKoa. Having more options is always a good thing.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I can give some impressions with these two. The GSmini was my first small guitar that really sounded like a guitar (after having a Martin Backpacker and a Washburn Rover). I hauled the Mini around by boat and RV for thousands of miles. Even played out with it on several occasions. I still have the Mini, but don't play it much these days.

The X7 is more comfortable and better sounding than the GSmini (to me). The body on the X7 is a bit smaller than the Mini, but the X7 sounds much bigger.

Yes, I'm getting to the neck: I really like the feel of the Taylor necks. The GSmini has a 1 11/16" nut width, a scale of 23.5 inches. The neck on the X7 is a bit thicker feeling, has a 1 3/4" nut width, a scale of 24 inches. Sounds like they should feel somewhat similar, but the neck on the X7 feels more like a bigger guitar, the Mini can feel a bit... well, smaller. Both are comfortable, but the X7 is my preference. I do some songs capoed at the 2nd or 4th fret, and don't feel cramped with the X7. Can't say the same about the Mini.

Also, the X7 has a cutaway, so it is easier and more comfortable to work up the neck.

All that said, the GSmini is a great little guitar. The X7 is greater. Oh, and there is that whole "ease of carbon fiber" thing. Both have good gig bags. Both are comfortable, but the X7 is WAY ahead on the ergonomics.

My 2¢ worth, yours at absolutely no charge. Today only. While supplies last. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Ask your hands, ears, and heart if one of these guitars might be right for you.
Thanks for the good info.

I've owned a Mini and a Martin LXME and am considering ordering an X7.

I've read that the X7 neck is a bit slender and that's a concern.

Personally, I really liked the feel of the LXME a lot, the Mini wasn't far behind.

I'll probably special order an X7 with a fatter neck when the penny jar gets a bit fuller.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber