The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2016, 05:33 AM

Default Eliminated a sitar-like tone to guitar. Questions remain ...

Does the sitar-like tone come from slots too deep or not enough string angle off the nut? Or is it a pinched string within the slot?

I just finished a $10 junker with a cracked headstock which wanted a new nut, and I got the sitar-tone. Filed the nut top lower so the string sits proud, and extended the slot to make the string break off the nut sooner and at a greater angle. And maybe widened the G slot a little.

But is there a definitive single cause for that sitar-like tone you get from an ill-adjusted nut?

Can the tone come from other causes? Loose brace, perhaps?

I recall a faint note distortion on a cello caused by the tiniest back-to-side separation. That's what made me think of the brace (and look for it, after initial nut remediation did not correct the tone issue).
Old 12-03-2016, 05:39 AM

String is touching something whilst it's vibrating, possibly the nut.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Does the sitar-like tone come from slots too deep or not enough string angle off the nut? Or is it a pinched string within the slot?

I just finished a $10 junker with a cracked headstock which wanted a new nut, and I got the sitar-tone. Filed the nut top lower so the string sits proud, and extended the slot to make the string break off the nut sooner and at a greater angle. And maybe widened the G slot a little.

But is there a definitive single cause for that sitar-like tone you get from an ill-adjusted nut?

Can the tone come from other causes? Loose brace, perhaps?

I recall a faint note distortion on a cello caused by the tiniest back-to-side separation. That's what made me think of the brace (and look for it, after initial nut remediation did not correct the tone issue).
Seems more likely there is a joint separation, such as a brace or glue strip, possibly veneer separation inside the box, hard to say without looking at the guitar. Any qualified repair person should be able to find it for you. But try plucking each string and feeling for vibrations with your fingertips, even behind the nut and headstock. Its amazing how many things can cause vibration noises, but partially unstuck braces are very often the cause.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinercape View Post
Seems more likely there is a joint separation, such as a brace or glue strip, possibly veneer separation inside the box, hard to say without looking at the guitar. Any qualified repair person should be able to find it for you.
Thanks, but in this case, it was a nut issue. I eliminated the frets and the body early on, and slowly brought the nut into specification.

What I was questioning was what particular issue caused the distorted vibration. apparently a combination of issues can cause the distortion.

As best as I can figure, guided by a thoughtful PM *THANKS*, the top of the string slot was level instead of angled, which I fixed early on. There may also have been string pinching; I measured the strings with caliper and used the right slot files, so hard to tell on that. The other issue, which I *think* leads to a muffled string, is a slot that is too deep. I've worked the nut so that the strings sit proud.

Do I want, in the perfect world, to have my angled string slot pointed at its tuner?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:29 AM

There are a number of things that can cause a sitar-like sound. If you are certain that it is nut related, here are a few things you can check.

First, ensure that the string breaks over the leading edge of the nut - at the face of the nut against the fingerboard. If not, not only can intonation be affected, but it can cause a buzzing sound. This includes ensuring that the slot is not damaged or chipped at the leading edge of the nut.

Second, check whether or not the sitar-like sound occurs only with open strings. If not, it isn't likely the nut. That is, if you get the sitar-like sound only while playing the open string, then fret the string and the sound goes away, then it is likely a nut issue. If it buzzes only while open, the nut slot may be too deep and the string, when vibrating, might be grazing the top of the first fret, causing the sitar-like sound. If it buzzes while fretting up the neck, do a search on "back buzz": you'll find lots of information on it and how to remedy it.

Third, a deep nut slot will not cause a string to buzz. It is largely for aesthetic reasons that people choose to minimize the amount by which the string is "sunk" into the nut slot. (Not having huge amounts of unnecessary nut height, can "get it out of the way" of the player.) Conversely, if the nut slot is too shallow, perhaps much less than half of the string diameter in the slot, it is possible for the string to be insufficiently supported and it might vibrate side to side across the top of the nut, causing a buzzing sound.

Having the nut slots "aimed" towards their respective tuner pegs is irrelevant. Some do it because they like the aesthetic or because they believe it reduces friction at the nut.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanks, Charles !
Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Here's a guitar designed to sound like a sitar.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-gui...icaster_10426/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair