The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I can only have one wife at a time but I can have as much "stuff" as that one wife will allow. So it's not my fault I have all this "stuff" it's hers.
Larrivee O-01 2000
Breedlove Oregon Concerto CE 2022
Breedlove Oregon Concertina CE 2023
Ovation Applause
Sigma DM-4 1990-94
Ovation Celebrity Standard 1996
Yamaha G-231
Cordoba Fusion 12
8 Electric guitars
3 Dulcimers
2 Ukulele's
1 Mandolin
1 Balalaika
Old 03-27-2024, 02:30 PM

It's natural to "want" things. I've been very blessed that I've never lacked the things I truly need in life.

This ended up being pretty long as I desribed what led me to each purchase. With musical instruments it's always been a slow process that doesn't start with a specific make/model; more of wanting a certain sound or style.

I was 13 and wanted to play the songs I liked by Neil Young, Bob Dylan, John Prine, etc. There was one store in my town that sold acoustic guitars. They had a 6 string Applause for $80. I bought it, learned to play, still have it.

I was 18, stationed in Orlando. Saw an Ovation 12 string at a pawn shop for $200. I thought it would be fun to play 12 string. It was. It still is. I still have it.

I didn't want or buy another acoustic instrument until 2008. I accidentally started playing mandolin. I really got the bug. Within 6 years I had bought 6 more mandolin family instruments, because I wanted a mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello and I met a couple of great one-man shop luthiers.

Anyway, getting back to guitars. I started attending a weekly mostly bluegrass acoustic jams in 2008 and started going to bluegrass festivals in 2012. I decided I wanted a real bluegrass guitar around 2018. I played a whole bunch of dreads by a whole bunch of builders and decided I liked the spruce and rosewood combo the best. I ended up buying a 2017 HD-28 in 2020.

Meanwhile I also started getting into gypsy jazz and attending a gypsy jazz festival every year. I thought I'd like a dedicated gypsy jazz Sel-Mac style of guitar, so I visited with Michael Horowitz in Seattle and tried a bunch of guitars he generously let me play. I ordered an Altamira M20D grand bouche. This sounds different from anything else I've had.

Got me thinking I'd like an archtop too for jazz and swing. I tried a few and then decided to convert my Eastman MDC805 mandocello to a 6 string guitar just by swapping the nut and bridge. Works very well as an archtop guitar.

The mandolin collection includes several western red cedar topped instruments, which got me thinking I'd like a cedar topped steel string guitar. I ended up buying a used Eastman E2OM-CD because it was available, at a great price and is highly recommended by fellow AGF members.

The next guitar was also mandolin-inspired. A friend gave me a 1930's Regal wood bodied spider bridge resonator mandolin. I had to do some work to make It playable (trim the plate and spider to move the bridge for proper intonation, replace the broken tailpiece, replace tuning machines). It sounded so good I wanted to get a similar type guitar. After looking around and not finding anything I ordered a Gold Tone Paul Beard Master Tone round neck resonator.

Finally my latest, possibly last guitar came as a result of trying all mahogany models. After the usual research and test driving I decided on a used 2022 Martin 000-15SM.

There's nothing else currently on my "want" list. I keep test driving anything that catches my eye or ear.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-27-2024, 03:09 PM

Not necessarily wants…. More like would likes…. The current one is a Breedlove Oregon Concert, Spruce/Myrtlwood no cut away. It’s listed for $1,400 at my preferred shop. Big sound, lots of bass( just shy of Martin D28 kinda bass) sounds great fingerpicked while still beatable to dig into it for strumming….
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

My wife used to scour the net for purse deals. She would look for $500 purses when new that she could buy for $200. She bought some well crafted purses. She still is on the lookout since she purged, but is far more selective, like I am with guitars.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-27-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Let me think..

21 guitars,
3 Marshalls,
Fender deluxe reverb
3 acoustic guitar amps,
3 Digital pianos,
PA Gear
3 different pedal boards.....

Nope,,

never happened to me,,

not ever
LOL....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion