The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Carcassi 25 Etudes opinions?

I was considering going through the 25 etudes and learning them. I have the knowledge of an intermediate guitarist and I haven't been doing nearly enough sight reading and legitimate music playing other than for my own fun. I want to develop a decent repertoire.

I know that it is progressive and would lead me to a stronger skill in these areas I am lacking and would give me a repertoire at the same time.

I want opinions on this are these good for a player of my level, is the order they are in a good order?

Is there anything better out there that I could buy and just got to town on?

Any and all opinions are welcome on this thank you.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM

I like the book of studies that's a companion to Noad's method book. Lots of Carcassi in there, but a few other composers too, might be more interesting.

The Carcassi studies are great though. Can't go wrong with 'em. Sor's good too. Studies that sound like MUSIC.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Good because that is what I'm looking for haha. Can you happen to recommend any good length pieces for an intermediate player. I am referring to five minutes at least or up. I have always had this insane infatuation with long pieces, the longer the better, but ive had trouble finding one at my skill level that is long most seem to average around a couple minutes, but rather than learn 4 small pieces I would rather just learn one ten minute piece.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM

What's "Intermediate?" What can you play now?

I think a few of the Villa Lobos preludes would qualify as intermediate in my book. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-18-2017, 02:15 PM

haha interesting question almost nothing I have learned Andantino in C by Carulli, but I have been studying a lot of technical stuff to try to get better in those areas with a decent approach to it. I have made a bad decision and haven't been playing an other music only applying what I like to play on the guitar, but not playing what I like if you get my meaning.

As for what I have done technically, I have learned how to play the major scale in any key, all positions, I have been working through 120 rh studies by Giuliani, and started working on the Segovia scales to learn how to connect my scale patterns. I have learned how to make all major and minor and their 7th counterparts on the e and a strings. I have been in the mindset that the more things I understand technically and theory wise the easier I will be able to work my way through the pieces I learn because I can then identify what I'm looking at. Is this the wrong approach?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Talking carcassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzum1349 View Post
I was considering going through the 25 etudes and learning them. I have the knowledge of an intermediate guitarist and I haven't been doing nearly enough sight reading and legitimate music playing other than for my own fun. I want to develop a decent repertoire.

I know that it is progressive and would lead me to a stronger skill in these areas I am lacking and would give me a repertoire at the same time.

I want opinions on this are these good for a player of my level, is the order they are in a good order?

Is there anything better out there that I could buy and just got to town on?

Any and all opinions are welcome on this thank you.
BZ

carcassi is a good choice, i heard the etude #3, and spent some time learning how to play it. look on youtube if you want to hear the professionals.

my instructor from the local CC, suggested that i just get the music, and go thru it, as my intermediate skills in his estimation are adequate to learn them on my own.

it does take me a lot of time to get the tempo correct. the fingering and progressions arent that difficult, but i havent been thru all of them just yet

z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical