The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Default Purchasing replacement bridge pickup transducers ?

Hi,

I have a 12 string guitar with a K&K under bridge transducer pickup system that I originally installed few years back, with a pre-amp /volume control at the sound hole.

I think I may have damaged one or more of the transducers in the course of removing them with a razor blade when replacing the bridgeplate last year, to which the 3 x transducers were superglued. I needed to resolder the cable to the back of one and they all suffered at least cosmetic damage to their contact surface in their removal.

All transducers do work, ie., all are 'alive' when I tap them, but I am not sure if a transducer can also be sick, as opposed to dead.

The sound of the guitar, when put through a PA, was never as good as it was before the regluing of the transducers. My sound operator of a quality PA system say its very hard to get a nice EQ, whereas my Taylor 314 is not problem at all. The sound is still "tinny" even with his best attempts.

Id like to try replacing all the transducers with an alternative and less expensive generic brand , just to see first if there is a noticeable improvement. If there is , the problem has been identified and I can replace them all with K&K or another quality brand transducer.

Can anyone recommend a generic brand transducer to do this test ?

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Not generic, but JJB Electronics does essentially what K&K does for about half the price. I've installed and used both, and found them both to be of equal quality. The owner, Jessie, is great to work with, and I'm sure he could help you out with transducers. http://www.jjb-electronics.com/
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Thanks for that Stormin .

Will send off a mail to Jesse.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification