The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Default recording with Cakewalk Sonar Artist

Anyone use this program? What do you use for interface?
I seem to be having a problem with the playback volume level.
Can you give me a rundown of how you record with this program.
I'm lost in it. Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM

Maybe I'm the only other person on the Forum using Sonar??? I have upgraded a few times since I started using it about 5 years ago. I'm currently running Platinum. I think the different levels of Sonar (Artist, Studio, Professional) indicate features, so I can answer a question or two...

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 interface. I bought it when I purchased Sonar and a new computer. Works very well, but I find I need preamps between the mics and 18i6. Otherwise, my recorded level is low and I have to crank up the Scarlett input gain almost to max. Other's have disagreed with this need for preamps.

Not sure quite how to answer the "how do I record" with Sonar question. Do you mean external recording setup or how to use Sonar?
Old 04-16-2016, 01:58 PM

I use Sonar X3, so you're not alone. My interface is the Audient ID22. The pres in the Audient are incredible. I can even use my SM7b without a cloudlifter. I have recently found myself using the Audient pres over using my Warm Audio WA12.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:14 PM

Sonar is the only DAW that I paid serious money for (around $200) and could NEVER get it to work with a PC. Cakewalk was of no help, giving a few cursory suggestions and basically saying I was on my own. I've run a few other DAWS with no problem, so I'm sure it was just me, but I stay as far away from Cakewalk products as possible.

Audacity, N-Track, Mackie Tracktion, and Reaper were no problem. That's what I get for trusting a big name company.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easynote View Post
I'm lost in it. Thanks
Perhaps you could clarify your problem with playback volume. If your problem is that your tracks are low in volume compared to commercial CDs, this is normal and expected because raw tracks are processed in multiple stages before becoming commercially released material.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-16-2016, 06:39 PM

lol. I didn't even notice that he mentioned playback levels. I was just assuming recording levels. Some specifics would be awesome..
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easynote View Post
I'm lost in it. Thanks
Huum ....... peers as if Cakewalk isn't ......... sorry couldn't help myself.

First and in general, proper gain staging has almost nothing to do with which DAW is being used. It depends on a number of variables starting with the source signal all the way thru the playback monitoring system, as well as mixing technique.

It could be as simple as some compression/limiting. The "Sonar Artist" version looke to have a compressor with limiter, so you could try putting the comp on all your audio tracks themselves and then use it as a limiter across your main output channels.

You might want to list your entire system (starting with source) and also post a screen shot of your mixer window with signal going thru it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-17-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Sorry this doesn't help the OP but I gave up on Sonar (I used to use X1 studio) when Roland sold it to Gibson. On top of that they switched to a subscription licence model and a lot of users seemed to be complaining that there were too many bugs.

I'm not knocking Gibson but they make guitars not software surely.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-17-2016, 04:41 PM

don't know if this has been suggested, but a lot of newer interfaces have a "mix" type knob. spun all one way, it will only playback the signal you are recording/monitoring, spun the other way, it will play only what's been tracked.

then somewhere in the middle, it will play a mix of both. you might want to try that knob and see if that's your problem with playback levels.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 PM

Easynote, What is your track gain set too? What is your signal level going in? Your gain trim may be too low if your having to crank up your interface.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Just watched a Youtube video as I've never used Sonar. If you select the track, then go to process -> audio -> gain , you should be able to increase volume.

If you want to raise your playback levels you need to either 'normalise' your audio in each individual track or view the console and raise the volume level for the track in question.

Normalising your audio means you're increasing it's volume so it's as loud as it can be without becoming distorted.

The console is used to change the volume fader levels amongst other things.

I'd suggest just searching for 'normalise' and 'console' in the Sonar help file.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD