The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Output "files" from Addictive Drums 2 or EZDrummer 2 into a DAW?

I think that I'll be using Presonus Studio One Artist version for our recording this winter, and one of the ideas I've been thinking about is "recording" virtual drums.

The problem is that the Artist version of this DAW does not support third party plugins.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to get the output "files" from Addictive Drums 2 or perhaps EZDrummer 2 into the DAW?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM

EZD2 has a 'stand alone' version, I'm sure you can output files from it in standard formats like WAV (I've never tried).
But that's going to be a very messy way of doing a drum track - you won't be able to do anything but EQ/compress/etc the whole stereo track. Want to change a fill, or lower the snare volume? Re-doo the whole drum track.
I'd advise moving up to a better (paid for) DAW that will allow you to use 3rd party plugins.
Reaper is free to download the full version. $60 to register once you decide its the one for you.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
EZD2 has a 'stand alone' version, I'm sure you can output files from it in standard formats like WAV (I've never tried).
But that's going to be a very messy way of doing a drum track - you won't be able to do anything but EQ/compress/etc the whole stereo track. Want to change a fill, or lower the snare volume? Re-doo the whole drum track.
I'd advise moving up to a better (paid for) DAW that will allow you to use 3rd party plugins.
Reaper is free to download the full version. $60 to register once you decide its the one for you.
I've downloaded Reaper, and it looks complete and logical. But I'm looking at the EQ and Reverb options and they seem maybe a bit less refined than those that come with Presonus, so I'd need to buy some third party plugins for those as well and I've read that the Waves offerings for instance don't work well with Reaper. Have you experienced any difficulties along those lines?

Thanks for your help!

BTW, Toontacks support was very quick. You can output both wav and midi files from their standalone program.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I've downloaded Reaper, and it looks complete and logical. But I'm looking at the EQ and Reverb options and they seem maybe a bit less refined than those that come with Presonus, so I'd need to buy some third party plugins for those as well and I've read that the Waves offerings for instance don't work well with Reaper. Have you experienced any difficulties along those lines?

Thanks for your help!

BTW, Toontacks support was very quick. You can output both wav and midi files from their standalone program.

i use reaper as my daw, and have the waves bundle pack plugins. no problems using them together, whatsoever. i also have ad2, and it works flawlessly in reaper (as it should).

the reaeq is a very full featured eq. their stock compressor is a little tricky, but it works well, too. reaper also has a nice convolution reverb host. it only comes with one preloaded file, but you can find many online. some are free, and some aren't all that expensive. my main reverb plugin i use is valhalla vintage verb. it was only $40.00 (when i got it). it's a very nice reverb, at any price.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...-vintage-verb/
Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Thank you! I will reconsider Reaper!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 PM

I use ReaVerb all the time - there are a ton of IR files available. Although the features are not as great as some other reverbs, it's easy enough to add an EQ plug in to the bus, if that's what you need.

The Reaper manual has a link to one place with quite a few IR files, but if you find yourself needing more, post here - someone sent me a huge amount of them, (like 1000 different ones, maybe?!) and I can dropbox them to you.

I also find ReaEQ as my main EQ plugin - add as many EQ points-channels as you need, easy to use.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post

I also find ReaEQ as my main EQ plugin - add as many EQ points-channels as you need, easy to use.
amen. plus, the graphic visualization of the files make it a breeze to do sweeps, etc. it's a great eq, and free with reaper.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Both the Toontrack (EZDrummer 2) and XLN Audio (Addictive Drums 2) tech support got back to me. EZDrummer allows you to export either a midi or a wav file of the entire song. Addictive Drums has a 15 second limit on the export file size.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Worth upgrading your version of Presonus.

I've got the full version of Studio One and it's great and very intuitive to use, much more so than Reaper and most other DAW's. Dunno wether you can but it's worth upgrading if you can afford it.

I use a Maschine Mikro II and Steve Slate drums to record my drums, works great.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 PM

I'm using Reaper (now paid for) and Presonus Artist. Neither is head and shoulders above the other in terms of ease of use. Once you get their gestalt, it's just not an issue. Proof of that is the fact that so many people use Pro Tools.

But one area where Reaper slaughters Presonus is help such as internal documentation, online FAQs, and YouTube videos.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:24 AM

And don't forget the Reaper user forums, they are a wealth of info. I got several templates there for using EZD - helpful when starting out, now I know how to set up things myself, but routing options were giving me fits when I was trying to grasp everything new.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 AM

The Reaper forum is very good and welcoming. But I give props to the Presonus forum too (it's a big reason I didn't dump Studio One immediately).
Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
Worth upgrading your version of Presonus.

I've got the full version of Studio One and it's great and very intuitive to use, much more so than Reaper and most other DAW's. Dunno wether you can but it's worth upgrading if you can afford it.

I use a Maschine Mikro II and Steve Slate drums to record my drums, works great.
Quote:
I'm using Reaper (now paid for) and Presonus Artist. Neither is head and shoulders above the other in terms of ease of use. Once you get their gestalt, it's just not an issue. Proof of that is the fact that so many people use Pro Tools.

But one area where Reaper slaughters Presonus is help such as internal documentation, online FAQs, and YouTube videos.
Now this is a good example how different we all are and how different our learning and intuitions are, how different our experiences are concerning how we perceive DAWS. And how intuitive DAW work flows are and the ease or difficulty in "getting their gestalt" is.

Plus I suspect there may also be a relationship to how long, how familiar and habitual someone has become with a particular DAW (and last but not least it's particular vocabulary) When it comes to trying a new DAW.

One of the best quotes I've heard on the subject of auditioning a different DAW was " it's like stepping into a different culture"

Having used Pro Tools fairly extensively now for 15 years (and for my particular learning, perception and type of culture) I seem to be able to quickly "get" , I would have to agree with "whiteshadow"

I have used Reason for about 5 years as mostly as an addition (Rewired) to Pro Tools. And I have played around a little bit with Logic, tried Reaper on the 60 day trial, and just downloaded the trial Studio One Pro last week .

Of the few "other" DAW's I use or have auditioned, Studio One Pro's latest version is by far the most like Pro Tools and therefore for me the easiest to quickly get .

Interestingly my experience is the polar opposite of "buzzardwiskey".
First I found (for me) a staggering disconnect with the vocabulary and documentation for Reaper. And while Kenny Goya's videos were helpful I found them to be a bit unorganized .

While admittedly the documentation for Studio One is not near as extensive as that for Reaper, for me it was for me , far more familiar and straight forward. . And I thought the Presonus online video's were very helpful, and the Studio One Expert videos (particularly the Studio One for Pro Tools users series ) were excellent.

And I am not sure I understand as to exactly what "Once you get their gestalt, it's just not an issue. Proof of that is the fact that so many people use Pro Tools." means ?

I think that the major reason so many people use Pro Tools is simply history. Protools as a viable DAW has been on the market the longest (just over 30 years) Pro Tools was the first and still is far and away the most widely used in commercial facilities and is still considered the "Industry Standard"
Pro Tools (the GUI and workflow) were specifically designed to be like using a digital tape recorder and analog multi channel mixing console and it's GUI and workflow reflects that design paradigm

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
And I am not sure I understand as to exactly what "Once you get their gestalt, it's just not an issue. Proof of that is the fact that so many people use Pro Tools." means ?
It was a cheap and silly shot and almost certainly not deserved. You've hit the nail on the head. As far as I can tell (having used Audacity on Linux, Presonus, Reaper, and an iPad DAW called Auria) none have come up with a massive game changer of a GUI and workflow. They all have their "gesalt", their nomenclature, and even their culture.

I was a bit stupid when I order Presonus Artist in that I didn't understand how limiting not being able to use third party plugin's would be, but I'm fairly certain that I would be happy with any "full featured" DAW on market. The issue is really just budget.

Pro Tools $600
Reason $300
Presonus Studio One $400
Ableton Live $450
Steinburg Cubase $550
Bitwig Studio $300
MOTU $500
Reaper $60
Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was a cheap and silly shot and almost certainly not deserved. You've hit the nail on the head. As far as I can tell (having used Audacity on Linux, Presonus, Reaper, and an iPad DAW called Auria) none have come up with a massive game changer of a GUI and workflow. They all have their "gesalt", their nomenclature, and even their culture.

I was a bit stupid when I order Presonus Artist in that I didn't understand how limiting not being able to use third party plugin's would be, but I'm fairly certain that I would be happy with any "full featured" DAW on market. The issue is really just budget.

Pro Tools $600
Reason $300
Presonus Studio One $400
Ableton Live $450
Steinburg Cubase $550
Bitwig Studio $300
MOTU $500
Reaper $60
Ha! good .... I didn't even think of that being a shot at PT, what's hilarious I was scratching my head thinking boy am I clueless as to why the gestalt for PT would more popular ???? DUH

Oh and I agree no question price wise Reaper is buy far the best price by far for a full featured DAW.
As I said my problem with it is more that I am so used to PT . If I were just starting in DAW recording it would be a serious consideration

So have you set up EZ drums in Reaper ? I have Steven Slate Drums 4 and did manage to get it set up and working for multiple outputs into Reaper when I was auditioning it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD