The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 AM

Default Guitar direct input into JBL LSR305 speakers?

Hi, I was wondering if any one could tell me if this would work? There is a 1/4" TRS input on the rear of the studio monitor and I was wondering if it would work if I were to plug my acoustic electric into the studio monitor direct?

I'm not trying to record anything but trying to see if I simulate a PA System so that I can get a ball park setting for the Martin Aura+ system before bringing it out. Rather not spend any extra money since this will be purely meant for testing purposes.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rivers; 05-10-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

While you could plug in, your level will be low for the system and there is a BIG caveat: Be sure that the speaker is turned off while plugging in and unplugging. Studio monitors are not designed to protect themselves as PA and guitar amp speakers are. It would really be best to plug in through a mixer to both bring the level up to line level and to allow you to close the fader while connecting and disconnecting.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 AM

Thanks. I might have this lying somewhere at home. Would it help?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post

It might do what you want. It will need to be plugged into a computer and probably have it's drivers enabled. Connect the LSR305 to the line out of the interface. Since you do have the LSR305, what gear do you usually have connected to it that might be used to "amp" the guitar?

Quote:
simulate a PA System so that I can get a ball park setting for the Martin Aura+ system before bringing it out
My own feeling is that the LSR305 likely may not translate to the sound of a PA system.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:55 AM

I actually have the studio monitors currently set up as my computer speakers via a mini DAC that unfortunately does not have 1/4" but 3.5mm jacks.

Hmm maybe a 1/4' to 3.5mm converter would work? Guitar to mini DAC then out to the speakers.

Last edited by Rivers; 05-10-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 AM

I thought studio monitors were supposedly very flat EQ wise like a acoustic guitar amp or PA System?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

This should work for your test. Plug the guitar into the instrument input: that input will have a higher input impedance that is required for the instrument's pickup and you will be able to bring up the level to send to the monitors.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I thought studio monitors were supposedly very flat EQ wise like a acoustic guitar amp or PA System?
PA system speakers are anything but flat in comparison to a 'studio monitor' but you should get an idea of your guitar's plugged-in sound this way. Then some EQing once you are plugged into a system will work.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
This of course off topic and perhaps best served as a separate topic but I can't help but interject.

The idea of "flat response" monitors (of any kind) has wiggled it's way into our web forum vernacular and more often than not provides for a misleading nomenclature. The idea of flat response speaker is by and large a sum of a measuring technique (which can vary at times dramatically) which indicates how in this case a speaker performs in an ostensibly perfectly tuned room. The wives tale then goes on to erroneously connect the dots to infer "if a flat response speaker(s) is used to reproduce audio the decisions of the audio person mixing will then be more consistent across a broader range of playback environments post the mixing stage".

The element that's always left out in these discussions is most, if not virtually all, users plop their flat response speakers in a horridly unflattering, un-flat environment. From that moment on the advantages of a flat response speaker can be helpful only serendipitously. A miserable room skews the frequency response (sometimes to a titanic degree) and whatever gains were made by a flat response speaker zooms out the window. At least in terms of addressing that this idea helps with more translatable mixes.

I'd submit in almost every instance a flat response room is exponentially more important than flat response speaker. Conversely a flat response room AND flat response speaker may be the only scenario that fulfills the gains claimed by most who preach "flat response speakers".

YMMV.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 AM

I would feel comfortable playing an electric guitar though those monitors if you have a reasonable signal chain. For example I have a Zoom G3 multi-fx pedal and pre-amp and I could plug that into my mixer and then plug the mixer into the active monitors.

If you keep the volume sensible you won't do any damage. But don't treat them like PA speakers. A friend of mine has a pair and I was a bit disappointed with the volume though the sound is very good.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD