The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Teach me about the onboard K&K Trinity

Have had K&K before. Would like to move to dual source. I have a very nice preamp so having the signal mixed and leaving the guitar mono is great for my rig. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a mic that doesn't require power that simply can be wired parallel to a standard K&K endpin that would sound better than the active trinity. Go easy on me. Was always going to stick with single source and am sold on my Lehle preamp.

Thank you
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagilligan View Post
Have had K&K before. Would like to move to dual source. I have a very nice preamp so having the signal mixed and leaving the guitar mono is great for my rig. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a mic that doesn't require power that simply can be wired parallel to a standard K&K endpin that would sound better than the active trinity. Go easy on me. Was always going to stick with single source and am sold on my Lehle preamp.

Thank you
Hi aka-g...

I've played Trinity rigs (K&K Pure Mini plus internal mic) for nearly a decade. Amazing sound, and amazing control over the tone and naturalness of my guitars when I play live. I didn't even realize they called it the Trinity at the time I upgraded (I just had the luthier add a K&K mic to my passive K&K rig and I bought an external preamp/blender).

K&K builds a fully housed (in the body) preamp version of the Trinity. All the preamp, plus the mic and pickup are installed/housed inside the guitar and run with an 9 volt battery. You can even add a volume control at the sound hole. (Actually, I just looked and it's no longer listed on their site)

I've only seen two done that way, and the owners of both said rigs, saw my external preamp solution and switched their guitars to external preamps/blenders.
The disadvantage to the built-in option is to adjust tone or any other settings on the preamp requires one to reach into the guitar and use either a tool or hand to adjust settings.

There is no passive mic I've ever heard of or seen that can be wired in parallel with a pickup to make a guitar into a dual source.

Have you considered just setting a condenser mic (or cardioid mic) in front of the guitar and mixing it with your pickup?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification