The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Default 15th phantom power?

I am looking at a couple low cost powered mixers noticed the Yamaha phantom power spec is only 15v. I thought 48v was standard. Apparently not. Just wondering why a mixer would only use 15v. Cost savings?

Last edited by lmacmil; 07-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Many newer condensor mics can run off of lower phantom power, but I've heard of 24vdc, never 15v.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM

One likely reason would probably be to save costs, as +/- 15VDC is a standard value for the IC power rails in much audio equipment. If you could tap off the +15VDC power rail to your IC chips, you'd save yourself the hassle and expense of building a separate 24V or 48V power supply.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I am looking at a couple low cost powered mixers (Peavey. Yamaha) and both say phantom power is 15v. I thought 48v was standard. Apparently not. Just wondering why these mixers would only 15v. Cost savings?
Hi lmacmil...

I first saw 15 watt phantom several years ago (close to 2005ish time frame) and it really surprised me. It was on a fairly high end console mixer (24 XLR channels) and universally ON/OFF (all channels or no channels of phantom).

I didn't like it then, and still don't. It was a good thing I had a fresh 9 volt battery in my ParaDI.

I don't carry any live-play equipment these days in my personal rig which exclusively requires 48 volt phantom power…(though all of our live mixers will supply full 48 volt phantom power via XLR).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM

One of the reasons I was curious was my Baggs PADI will not run off phantom power with my current mixer which is 24v. Baggs tech support said it needs at least 26v. Strange that they didn't design it to run on 24v since that is apparently not too unusual.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi lmacmil...

I first saw 15 watt phantom several years ago (close to 2005ish time frame) and it really surprised me.

...though all of our live mixers will supply full 48 volt phantom power via XLR.

It's strange. Only the Yamaha box mixers supply 15v. All the others I've looked at, even the low end models, supply 48v. Oh well, I still have a couple options should I decide to replace my old Yorkville (which is built like a tank and weighs almost as much!)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's strange. Only the Yamaha box mixers supply 15v. All the others I've looked at, even the low end models, supply 48v. Oh well, I still have a couple options should I decide to replace my old Yorkville (which is built like a tank and weighs almost as much!)
Hi lmacmil...

I believe it was a Yamaha which had the 15 watt phantom I wrote about. It was a fine mixer. They seem to have rectified this in their high end models being produced nowadays. I've seen other brands with less than 48 v phantom too.

I think there has been a return to full 48 volt phantom by most companies.

Those older mixers were durable if nothing else. I had a couple consoles we nicknamed "Herniators".

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Those older mixers were durable if nothing else. I had a couple consoles we nicknamed "Herniators".

Larry, I am having hernia surgery next week (TMI???) which is why I want to get a lighter mixer. I'm too old and too small to be lifting 35# pieces of equipment.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Larry, I am having hernia surgery next week (TMI???) which is why I want to get a lighter mixer. I'm too old and too small to be lifting 35# pieces of equipment.
Hi lmacmil...

I understand. Had a surgery 5 years ago and am limited to a 40# weight restriction for the rest of my days.

I've scaled back drastically with weight of 'objects' which go to gigs, and without sacrificing quality which either I or the audience can comprehend. I'd even sacrifice a bit of quality before I risk my health.

I have a hand cart which will carry everything so it all wheels in with one trip from the car.

Hope your surgery goes well...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There are other devices that supply 15v Phantom. I know of some Tascam gear, for instance. I'm not much into it because I've been known to borrow or rent older mics for projects and they usually require 48v.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification