The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Default How is your Yamaha THR5A acoustic practice amp?

I am about to purchase a Yamaha THR5A Acoustic practice amp and would appreciate any feedback from current owners.

Bill
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 AM

I read all kinds of great reviews. So I bought one. It was tinny and brittle, at least for my solo guitar. I could not get a good sound out of it after playing with all the settings. I'm back to usiny my Fishman Loudbox Mini. It's quite a bit larger and heavier, but the sound is no comparison. YMMV.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I tried the THR5 and decided on a THR10C (the larger black one)... it's one of the most fun things I have. It sits in the lounge and allows me to grab any electrified guitar and play with some processed, amplified sound. I've played my Yamaha NTX1200R through it, the Martin HD-28V, the Gretsch resonator and the 1951 Epiphone Zenith... all using the 'Acoustic' setting. I've played my bass through it on the bass setting and just about all of my electrics on all of the other settings. Oftentimes I'm just dialling in some EQ and some reverb but it sounds great and, for me, inspires some neat late night, low volume noodlings. I love it.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:58 AM

If I wanted to send the amp output sound from the THR5A into a sound system, cam you connect from the PHONES output somehow so that the modeling and effects would go to the PA?

Regards,
Bill
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM

I really like mine. I've not had any problems getiing my two Martins to sound nice and lush. Lots of settings to experiment with. Not a lot of volume and no mike output the only drawback. I used the battery option for a whole week of vacation and everyone thought it was the coolest thing they've seen!
Good luck with yours
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM

So, I took the amp to open mic with my group yesterday and plugged in a second guitar chord in the PHONES jack and into the PA board input. This worked perfectly and the effects I chose on the amp came through the PA. Neat. This amp is chock full of great sounds.

Regards,
Bill
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I tried the THR5 and decided on a THR10C (the larger black one)... it's one of the most fun things I have. It sits in the lounge and allows me to grab any electrified guitar and play with some processed, amplified sound. I've played my Yamaha NTX1200R through it, the Martin HD-28V, the Gretsch resonator and the 1951 Epiphone Zenith... all using the 'Acoustic' setting. I've played my bass through it on the bass setting and just about all of my electrics on all of the other settings. Oftentimes I'm just dialling in some EQ and some reverb but it sounds great and, for me, inspires some neat late night, low volume noodlings. I love it.

The THR10C is so good it's silly. Has an acoustic setting so it's just dandy for acoustic guitars. It gets shockingly loud and has terrific tube-like tone. The Fender Deluxe Reverb setting has to be heard to be believed! My only minor complaint with it is that the tuner's not terribly accurate/sensitive. I bought a floor demo and I think it was $180 -- ridiculously good value!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification