The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Default 2 QSC k10s enough for downtown outdoor show

Between 50 and 200 people coming and going. We're just setting up on the steet.

I think we're setting up around where the hotdog stand is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...130fd2b529f848

2 vocals - 2 acoustic guitars, 1 bass but not going through pa. maybe a cajon.

Thanks

------------added after show---------------

Update:

The show was great. We had plenty of power and we got several compliments on the sound. I listened to the opening act and thought.....'Wow - they sound great'. Those really are great speakers.

I like the idea of adding a sub - I think I'll look into QSC 18 inch sub - thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by CrankyChris; 07-25-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Should be plenty. It does depend on how much background noise you have to compete with, but unless you're near the airport by the end of the runway you will be fine.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM

I don't have experience performing professionally, but at the last outdoor downtown market I attended, a bluegrass group performed with just that setup - two K-10's, and they had plenty of juice. Sounded real good too.
Epiphone Dot
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 PM

For an outdoor show, two small PA speakers like the K10s are far less than ideal, but you bring what you got. It should sound OK close to the stage.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 PM

Yep, you should be fine for small-zone coverage. If you're playing on a sidewalk, with a wall behind you, angle your speakers in a cross-fire orientation. (right speaker faces left,,,,left speaker faces right. You'll have broad, yet shallow coverage, which is usually ideal for the passerby set-ups. You'll also be able to hear yourselves better.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 AM

I've played dozens of outdoor gigs, mostly with a single K10, and never had any issues with coverage, volume, or sound quality. The problem with pro sound advice is there is no upper limit on how much gear you need for perfection. It is very hard to get solid advice on practical good-enough solutions. You will be above 95 percentile, at minimum, with two K10s. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The problem with pro sound advice is there is no upper limit on how much gear you need for perfection. It is very hard to get solid advice on practical good-enough solutions.
+1. Perfect is the enemy of good.

I am a huge believer is the KISS principle. Last Easter I attended a brunch in a cavernous lobby of a very nice hotel. This lobby was a huge atrium style with a 40' clieling and about 500 people eating and talking. The entertainment was two guys each playing acoustic guitars and singing harmony. Their equipment was 1 K10 on a pole behind them run through a Zed FX board. They sounded wonderful.

You will be fine.

Steve
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Economics play into this, of course - how much $ the performer being paid for an outdoor show - but I'm a believer in bringing enough rig for the gig, whenever possible. This makes the performer sound good, which, in turn, helps the performer get more decent bookings.

The last smallish outdoor show I did, for instance, the speakers were QSC KW 153s, which will make a good, full sound outdoors without getting shouty, which smaller speakers tend to do when used in an open area.

But to the OP: Especially if this is a minimal $ gig, just bring what ya got, and make the best of it. It'll be "enough" on its own terms.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM

2 K10s is more than enough. Trust me.

2012 Gibson Hummingbird
2013 Gibson J-200
2009 Martin D18v
2004 Martin SWOMGT
2003 Gibson J-100 xtra
2002 Martin HD-28
2001 Alvarez Yairi DY40c
1997 Larrivee D-03
1987 Yamaha FG-450
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
2 K10s is more than enough. Trust me.
Agreed- the K10's are perfect for a crowd this size. The only question is whether to use the "deep" mode for the bass. I'd encourage trying it.

Rich
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 PM

One of the regulars at the farmers market here uses a pair of those. Plenty of speaker for that size space unless you are right next to the freeway.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnrbq View Post
Agreed- the K10's are perfect for a crowd this size. The only question is whether to use the "deep" mode for the bass. I'd encourage trying it.

Rich
I'd stay away from DEEP* mode. This is the one feature that I detest about the K-Series speakers. I don't know what QSC was thinking when they set the LF corner-frequency where they did. DEEP* adds an immediate coloration and muddiness to vocal tracks.

To the OP, What bass are you using? Will it be amplified?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
I'd stay away from DEEP* mode. This is the one feature that I detest about the K-Series speakers. I don't know what QSC was thinking when they set the LF corner-frequency where they did. DEEP* adds an immediate coloration and muddiness to vocal tracks.

To the OP, What bass are you using? Will it be amplified?
Jazz bass through...I think it's a 2X12 Hartke cab. Not sure about head.

And thanks to all for the informative responses
Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

I think 2 K10's will get it done. Everyone should be able to hear you, and the sound should be acceptable. I also agree not to use the deep mode, it muddies the mix.

That said, we play an outdoor show on a patio every 2-3 months with our acoustic trio, and I always bring a powered 18" subwoofer. It makes a huge difference. If I could recommend one additional piece of equipment, that would be it.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I think 2 K10's will get it done. Everyone should be able to hear you, and the sound should be acceptable. I also agree not to use the deep mode, it muddies the mix.

That said, we play an outdoor show on a patio every 2-3 months with our acoustic trio, and I always bring a powered 18" subwoofer. It makes a huge difference. If I could recommend one additional piece of equipment, that would be it.
Amen to that!!!! This can be the difference between a passable set-up, and a professional-sounding set-up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification