The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Not sure..

I'm not sure what town you are in..but I bet it's not Nashville. In Nashville an "open" mic is used many times to "audition" to get a better and scheduled spot the next time you play. And, one sure way to "not" get a spot is to bring two guitars!!..especially one without a pick up. Best advice about playing an open mic is to keep it as "simple" as you can. Don't talk too much..or..even at all. Now, if you wrote the song and it's a big hit..then by all means tell us the 6 min "back" story before you play. But, if it's not a hit..then we really don't want to hear the story..just play the song. And, if you have to tell a story before a song so people will understand it...then it's probably not a very good song..so, re-write the song with the "intro story" in the song. I'm not trying to sound harsh about this..I'm just telling you how it is in Nashville. Also, remember, the best way to get a good spot in a club is to bring "fans" or "friends" or people who will spend MONEY!!! Open mics are not for you..they are normally a way to get people in the club who will SPEND MONEY! Also, if you're playing don't just show up 5 min before your time and then leave as soon as you are done...Get there early, hang out, meet people, order food and eat, spend money, talk to the person hosting the open mic, be nice, don't act like a star, talk to some of the other performers, and stay at least an hour after you play (unless the place is closing). Anyway, hope this "helps". Like I said this is Nashville..I can't speak for anywhere else..and Nashville is different in many ways. Best thing is you're playing out and in front of people...ROCK ON!! OH...some places won't let you keep your guitar at your table..you have to set them in a corner with other peoples guitars, so I'd advise getting an inexpensive guitar with a pre amp and tuner (that is mutable) built in..less is better. I use my LR Baggs Preamp and when it' my time I have it ready and can set it up in 15 seconds. It's better to take a guitar that if it walks away in someone's case...you won't lose much sleep!!!..also, when it's your time..ALREADY HAVE YOUR GUITAR TUNED AND BE READY TO GET ON STAGE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND SING...this will keep the host happy..and that's who's gonna invite you back!!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I'm not sure what town you are in..but I bet it's not Nashville. In Nashville an "open" mic is used many times to "audition" to get a better and scheduled spot the next time you play. And, one sure way to "not" get a spot is to bring two guitars!!..especially one without a pick up. Best advice about playing an open mic is to keep it as "simple" as you can. Don't talk too much..or..even at all. Now, if you wrote the song and it's a big hit..then by all means tell us the 6 min "back" story before you play. But, if it's not a hit..then we really don't want to hear the story..just play the song. And, if you have to tell a story before a song so people will understand it...then it's probably not a very good song..so, re-write the song with the "intro story" in the song. I'm not trying to sound harsh about this..I'm just telling you how it is in Nashville. Also, remember, the best way to get a good spot in a club is to bring "fans" or "friends" or people who will spend MONEY!!! Open mics are not for you..they are normally a way to get people in the club who will SPEND MONEY! Also, if you're playing don't just show up 5 min before your time and then leave as soon as you are done...Get there early, hang out, meet people, order food and eat, spend money, talk to the person hosting the open mic, be nice, don't act like a star, talk to some of the other performers, and stay at least an hour after you play (unless the place is closing). Anyway, hope this "helps". Like I said this is Nashville..I can't speak for anywhere else..and Nashville is different in many ways. Best thing is you're playing out and in front of people...ROCK ON!! OH...some places won't let you keep your guitar at your table..you have to set them in a corner with other peoples guitars, so I'd advise getting an inexpensive guitar with a pre amp and tuner (that is mutable) built in..less is better. I use my LR Baggs Preamp and when it' my time I have it ready and can set it up in 15 seconds. It's better to take a guitar that if it walks away in someone's case...you won't lose much sleep!!!..also, when it's your time..ALREADY HAVE YOUR GUITAR TUNED AND BE READY TO GET ON STAGE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND SING...this will keep the host happy..and that's who's gonna invite you back!!
Good advice, thank you!! Yeah I am in Western MA. My first open mic, but I went early and put my name on the list and stayed to see all the performers and talked with everyone, etc. The "problem" was that we play some songs in different tunings so I had to switch to a guitar tuned to E flat. It didn't seem like a big deal except for the fact that I didn't have a pick up in that guitar. But this venue didn't seem incredibly formal. I don't want to play only songs in standard tuning.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM

Personally I have used Fishman Matrix, LR Baggs M1, Fishman Rare Earth, K and K mini and Sunrise. For myself, the most fool proof, easy and quick "go play", never fail, no feed back, consistent sounding, easy to switch between guitars is the Sunrise. Some of these reasons are probably why they are so popular with the pros. (not that I am one). The best sounding I have had was blending a Sunrise with a K and K, but that means more equipment and set up. The last few years I have been striving for simplicity and consistency. Sunrise P/U, to Sunrise Buffer through an AER amp. A lot of people will argue this or that sounds better, and it well may, but this works for me and sounds great.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Son View Post
Personally I have used Fishman Matrix, LR Baggs M1, Fishman Rare Earth, K and K mini and Sunrise. For myself, the most fool proof, easy and quick "go play", never fail, no feed back, consistent sounding, easy to switch between guitars is the Sunrise. Some of these reasons are probably why they are so popular with the pros. (not that I am one). The best sounding I have had was blending a Sunrise with a K and K, but that means more equipment and set up. The last few years I have been striving for simplicity and consistency. Sunrise P/U, to Sunrise Buffer through an AER amp. A lot of people will argue this or that sounds better, and it well may, but this works for me and sounds great.
Can you tell me which model you use? Can you just switch it between guitars on the fly or does it require more work? Also what does the Sunrise Buffer do? I am very interested in this, thank you!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default yea..

yea. open mics in other parts of the country are more informal. I've done one in Atlanta a few years back. I've had good success with using LR Baggs stuff. The M-80 is a great sound hole pick up that can be used in a guitar without "cutting" your guitar if you buy the correct cable. Then you could use one of your Larrivee's.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
Thanks for all the great input everyone. I was hoping that the K&K Meridian system would be a good option to switch between all my guitars. But apparently even a clamp on mic is not going to be ideal for stage use. I'm thinking the K&K Pure Mini and a Red-Eye Preamp for all my guitars might be the best option.
Hi codecontra...

That would be a very workable and flexible and natural sounding system.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me which model you use? Can you just switch it between guitars on the fly or does it require more work? Also what does the Sunrise Buffer do? I am very interested in this, thank you!
I don't switch it "on the fly" so to speak, but it is easy to move to different guitars. I have it wired to end-pin jack, but easy to put in an inline jack and keep end-pin jacks in different guitars or just run it to an external type jack.
The buffer box ads db's to the signal plus the claims are that it helps pick up some of the natural acoustics of the guitar. Whatever it really does, I think it is a must as it articulates the sound of the pickup. There are no controls on it, just plug it in between P/U and amp. Very simple. The buffer box has 2 outputs on it. In the past I have run the second output to a volume pedal and then into an electric amp. That enables me to "kick in" the electric amp for electric type solo's and even overdrive it a bit. I have had a lot of people be amazed at the variety of sounds coming out of an acoustic guitar.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So I played my first open mic Wednesday night. Just me and my singer. We play rock covers, mainly stuff from the 90's on... Pearl Jam, Staind, Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, etc. We played 4 songs.

The bar was pretty packed. Good crowd. On a side note, Aaron Lewis' father was in the crowd and complimented us on our cover of his son's song, "Everything Changes". Thats was pretty cool.

They had a pretty good set up with a lot of gear. Everyone else that night was using on board electronics. I brought 2 guitars, a Guild with a K&K mini (with no pre amp) and my Larrivee D-03 with no electronics.

I started with the Guild. It sounded decent. After the first couple songs, I switched to my non electric Larrivee and the sound guy set up a stereo mic. I didn't love it. Not sure how it sounded to the crowd but I couldn't really move around and the volume was affected by the slightest movement.

So I have 3 Larrivee's, none of which have any electronics. I do not wish to do any destructive mods and I don't have money to dump on another guitar. Here is what I am thinking for options:

1.) Something like a Seymour Duncan Woody HC. Hum cancelling soundhole pickup. It's cheap at $50 and I can swap between guitars. Seems quick and easy but not sure if this is too cheap of a fix.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SA3HC

2.) K&K Meridian microphone system. It's a small mic that attaches to the guitar. Sound quality seems impressive. I'm not in a full band so no real background noise except for the standard bar noise. A bit more expensive at $313, but also comes with a preamp. Requires phantom power. XLR versus 1/4" output for the Woody.

http://kksound.com/products/meridian.php

3.) A higher end mag pickup like a Sunrise, Fishman Rare Earth, or LR Baggs M1A, etc.

I am an experienced guitarist so I want something decent, but I am new to this whole playing live thing. We also plan on playing full gigs when we get our set list down. Any advice would be appreciated even if it is something completely different to what I have listed. Thanks everyone!!

I love going to open mics! One of my guitars has a Baggs Anthem in it and the other has a K&K under-soundboard-disc-thing with an onboard preamp. Seems like the sound guys often set the mix so that most guitars sound very plasticky, like old Ovations. The Anthem does a better job of fighting that and sounding like a normal guitar. Either system seems fine though. I used to have an Aura+ system and through just about any PA it is just sounded very computerized and not quite natural.

Truth is, open mics are more about singing well than having good guitar chops or sound. I would happily trade guitar skills for being a better singer!! Not terrible but by no means up there with the best of them!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM

I'll be out in the Berkshires in a couple of weeks, where was the open mic you were at?

I'd say that for open mics, stay away from the system that needs phantom power - not all PAs have it available.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 07-21-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Carter View Post
K&K Pure Mini. Beautiful sound, and minimal addition to the guitar's interior.
+1 What Gregg and the others have said. K&K Pure Mini is a winner.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
With the good quality sound hole pickups the 'wings' are simple clamps that tighten on the top of the guitar with screws. They are also fairly large units that will, most likely, require you to loosen the strings to get them in and out. At least a few minutes to move one from one guitar to another... If you must play in more than one tuning, having a guitar in each tuning is going to be the fastest way, and having a pickup in each will be the most convenient, especially if they are the same pickup. While running the risk of low volume or feedback, an external mic, either clamp on or stand mounted, may be the most cost effective option. BTW, the buffer box is a kind of preamp, it alters the impedance of the signal and probably boosts it a little, some say it's essential for the Sunrise.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I'll be out in the Berkshires in a couple of weeks, where was the open mic you were at?

I'd say that for open mics, stay away form the system that needs phantom power - not all PAs have it available.
A bar in Easthampton, MA called Whiskerz Pub.

Address: 75 Cottage St, Easthampton, MA 01027
Phone: 413 - 527-1477
Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
With the good quality sound hole pickups the 'wings' are simple clamps that tighten on the top of the guitar with screws. They are also fairly large units that will, most likely, require you to loosen the strings to get them in and out. At least a few minutes to move one from one guitar to another... If you must play in more than one tuning, having a guitar in each tuning is going to be the fastest way, and having a pickup in each will be the most convenient, especially if they are the same pickup. While running the risk of low volume or feedback, an external mic, either clamp on or stand mounted, may be the most cost effective option. BTW, the buffer box is a kind of preamp, it alters the impedance of the signal and probably boosts it a little, some say it's essential for the Sunrise.
Awesome, thanks for the info!!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I'd put K&K in everything and buy one K&K preamp to take along; If you're primarily doing the open mics at this point, maybe the inexpensive belt clip model (it runs only on battery)
I had a Larrivee OM-03 with a K&K and used the belt clip preamp. The preamp definitely improved the sound but I found it inconvenient, due to the extra connections. My favorite open mic does not allow pedals so the floor model was not an option for me.

For the OP, something like a Baggs M1 or M1A would work. Just get two extra endpin jacks (about $25 each) and he can move it between guitars pretty easily. It won't sound as good as the K&K but the typical open mic listener (i.e., non-player) won't notice the difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification