The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Anyone tried JBL PRX710

Hi guys just curious if anyone here has tried these for the guitar vocal type thing. I had pretty much decided on a pair of the YAM DXR10's when I get around to it but a friend I trust suggested these.

They look good and sound nice but I have been unable to hear side by side with the Yamaha's which I would like to do. Possible, but not anyone close, so... any of you guys out there used them??

Kris
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
Hi guys just curious if anyone here has tried these for the guitar vocal type thing. I had pretty much decided on a pair of the YAM DXR10's when I get around to it but a friend I trust suggested these.

They look good and sound nice but I have been unable to hear side by side with the Yamaha's which I would like to do. Possible, but not anyone close, so... any of you guys out there used them??

Kris
I have the PRX 712's and honestly I wish I would have got the 10's. Not that there's anything wrong with the 712's but at my age lighter is better and I think the 710's would have handled what I needed.

I can't comment on the Yamaha's but all I can say is the 712's rock. When I bought them I was able to borrow a QSC K12 non wood to compare it to and the Jbl's were a little bit smoother and what really impressed me was the tighter bass which was validated at a recent gig when I piped Steely Dan Aja through the system= bliss.

They're nice for small rooms yet can fill a decent sized room and the only thing that bothered me when I got them was the fan which is constantly on when the speakers are in use. The only time I notice the fan is when I'm in my quiet practice room but it's irrelevant at a gig.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 AM

I've heard the JBL's at a big gig and they're quite capable. The fan noise means nothing with any volume.

I own the Yamaha 10's and like them (so does my back). For the venue that I almost always play and host (I wouldn't be trucking them around) I am thinking pretty seriously about getting a Yamaha 15" sub to pair with them so that the bass and drums have more impact.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:39 PM

The Yamaha DXR12 and DSR112 sound better than everything I've a/b'd them with including K12, KW122, PRX712, PRX612, EV ELX112p, Mackie SRM550, Peavey PVXp12. Haven't heard the EV ZLX12p yet but have one on the way for a monitor. You can get these for around $300 new if you shop around.

But the Yamahas are leading the pack for mains in my opinion (and many, many others who have heard them as well).
Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, pretty much endorsed my own thoughts. I was hoping someone may have used them and could give a 'live' appraisal. Perhaps someone will yet.

Kris
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Jamison, I found that the Yamaha's universally are voiced brighter than the JBL's, regardless of model.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Any one else care to share their thoughts on this issue. I hope to get another set of speakers in the near future. I live in a rural area, so it is hard to get to a place where I could hear both JBL and yahmaha (as well as other) speakers side by side.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM

I use a PRX710 as my onstage monitor for solo guitar and vocal, using RCF HD12s out front.

Its pretty accurate and loud.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 AM

I own a pair of Yamaha DXR10s and love them.

I was going for the DXR12s, and compared them directly to RCF HD12As (also great speakers). The RCF HDs had bigger bottom, but the Yamaha's midrange and overall sound was slightly more musical and sweeter.

Since I was planning on getting subs, I went for the DXR10s (they sounded a bit sweeter than the DXR12s). Sometimes I wish I went with the 12s because they have great bottom, and in many situations I wouldn't have to bring my sub (I have a EV ZXA-1 sub).

If you have subs, the DXR10, with it's high-pass filter on 100 or 120Hz can compete and often outperform the best 12 inchers from JBL, RCF and QSC - they have astounding power and stay very clean near limiting.

I have done large loud rock band pub gigs with a pair of DXR10s as the tops.
For acoustic pub gigs a pair is way more than enough.

Having said all this, I have heard great things about the new JBL PRX series. I suspect that they're in the same class - finally something on par with the DXR series (which in my opinions have been best-in-class for a while)
Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM

have a pair of 715's arriving tomorrow, will post some results on Sunday. As far as weight goes, the 715's are only 17 lbs heavier per speaker compared to the 710 but you wont need a sub for most venues you might be playing. Took me a while to accept that it depends on how a speaker is to be used and mostly how many people will be gathered into a given area. I accept the heavier weight trade-off in favor of better phonics and I'll already be prepared to handle larger venues, if the need ever arise (I'll be keeping a PRX718XLF sub in reserve, for the larger halls)

Last edited by tomana; 07-25-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 PM

Hey guys, I get the rational for going bigger speakers but for what I do the 10 are the ideal middle ground. Guitar/vocal with maybe the odd second guit and occasional keys. Plus light n neat is a plus. Can't see the need for a sub anytime soon but you never know. Why EV vs DSR or Ksub? Interchangeable I guess to a large degree.

Curiously I was chatting with a store owner I know and was given a good deal on a pair of K10's so may go that way. I still think the Yammies are slightly cleaner but real world it's very small differences.

Keep lobbing your thoughts it's all good.

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification