The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Default Radial PZ Pre questions

Thought I'd start a specific thread for this preamp/pedal, rather tagging onto my other thread about possible choices.

1) From reading the mfr info, it appears that the tuner out jack is only 'live' when you press the mute button? This makes it a good A/B output selector, but not as good for a tuner (I'd rather have the tuner on all the time).

2) Is the tuner out pre-EQ, pre-loop?

3) Is the loop send always active, or only when selected via the slider and the boost button?

4) Is the loop send post-EQ or pre-EQ?

5) Is the 1/4" (amp) output post-EQ or pre-EQ?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Mike:

The tuner output is always on, and it is pre-EQ and loop, etc.

The loop send is only active when it is both selected with the slider switch and when the boost/loop footswitch is on.

The loop and the boost are both post EQ, and so is the 1/4" "amp" output. So the loop and the boost affect both of these outputs, but not the pre-EQ XLR out or the tuner out.

The mute mutes everything but the tuner out.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 04-29-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to think of the ways I could use this (solo/duo, not just for the open mic).

Saw a video the other day of David Gilmour playing a Taylor acoustic, he had it A/B-ed and the second feed was going to a volume pedal to a delay set with single repeat/long trail. He's play a chord, step on the volume to feed the ringing to the delay, then back off the volume control and play his lead part to the still-ringing chord. This was for Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Thought this would be a great technique to throw into a show every once in a while.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Hi Mike,

I think Louis has given all the answers to your queries, for whatever it's worth I am using the Pzpre with my Baggs LB6, it's a very good preamp.

Good luck,

Keyshore
Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally, I was looking at the Radial PZ Deluxe, $100 cheaper than the Pre, had the feature I really needed for sol/duo work, not so much for the OMs. Then reading all the extra stuff about the Pre, I figured I'll wait for a good deal on a used one. Saw one on fleabay this week for $239, but considering there's no warranty on used, that seemed a little high, and I was watching it but was not going to buy.
Then what do I see today when I check my emails: Chicago Music Exchange 'pedal sale' 15% off of most pedals, I check, and sure enough it includes the Pre. So I've got a new one coming my way for $254.00

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 AM

Default further questions

I have a question to add here.
If I was using a PZ-Pre and wanted to have some reverb on my sound using a TC HOF mini, being that I would want my reverb active on my sound regardless of whether I boosted for a solo or not, does this mean I cannot use the fx loop?
And in addition to that, if I was to be dual sourcing, does this mean I would have to pick an input, 1 or 2 to have the reverb on?

I know that it says in the user manual that input 1 is TRS enabled, but I can't see any mention of Phantom power, does this mean that it can't power a condenser mic, such as one would find in a K&K trinity?

Any help you can pass on here is much appreciated
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

If you wanted the reverb on all the time, you would to either put the TC in your main output or input chain. If you put it in the FX loop and wanted it on all the time, you would not be able to use the Pre's boost feature without manually turning up the boost volume control. You can use both the 1 & 2 inputs at the same time and blend them. There is no phantom power on either input.

I didn't realize that input one is TRS balanced. Nice for me (for my Taylor) but of course that it means I now have to get a TRS-TRS cable.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If you wanted the reverb on all the time, you would to either put the TC in your main output or input chain. If you put it in the FX loop and wanted it on all the time, you would not be able to use the Pre's boost feature without manually turning up the boost volume control. You can use both the 1 & 2 inputs at the same time and blend them. There is no phantom power on either input.

I didn't realize that input one is TRS balanced. Nice for me (for my Taylor) but of course that it means I now have to get a TRS-TRS cable.
The input is not TRS balanced. It takes a TRS stereo input and splits the signals between the two channels (this is for pickup systems that output two sources through a TRS stereo cable).

emmsone: If you want to use reverb all the time, you have to put it in line ahead of the inputs--and you will have to choose which one if you're using a mono reverb like the HoF. Or you can insert reverb at some appropriate point later in the signal chain (between the 1/4" output and your amp or a DI box; in the FX loop of your amp; at an insert point on your mixer, etc.). This is why I use the reverbs in my amp or mixers for a background reverb, and reserve the FX loop in the PZ-Pre for a delay I use only on some tunes, either with the boost for leads or without boost for rhythm parts.

Louis
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
The input is not TRS balanced. It takes a TRS stereo input and splits the signals between the two channels (this is for pickup systems that output two sources through a TRS stereo cable).
Louis
Yep, reading the manual now and just saw that!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Well as when I play amplified I'll be playing mostly through/into a PA system, the output will be XLR so it can't go in that part of the chain, and I assume the HOF won't work if its on the input side with a TRS cable.

As much as I love the specs of the PZ-pre this combined boost/effects does annoy me and puts me off a bit, but as I haven't decided on which pickup i'll be using in my new guitar yet, if I go single source the PZ-pre might still be worthwhile but without the dual source the features of the PZ-pre becomes somewhat overkill and slightly redundant.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Well as when I play amplified I'll be playing mostly through/into a PA system, the output will be XLR so it can't go in that part of the chain, and I assume the HOF won't work if its on the input side with a TRS cable.

As much as I love the specs of the PZ-pre this combined boost/effects does annoy me and puts me off a bit, but as I haven't decided on which pickup i'll be using in my new guitar yet, if I go single source the PZ-pre might still be worthwhile but without the dual source the features of the PZ-pre becomes somewhat overkill and slightly redundant.
This is a limitation for some players, for sure. The others are for dual source applications in general: no phantom power for rigs that use a condenser mic and only one EQ section that covers both channels.

The real use for the PZ-Pre is for switching between two instruments on stage. Although it can accommodate some dual source systems, it's not really designed with such systems in mind.

If you're only planning on using one instrument, look at the PZ-Deluxe or one of the many choices offered by L.R. Baggs, Fishman, etc.. For dual source systems look at the many posts archived here about the DTAR Solstice, the Headway EDB-2, or if you've got the cash and don't mind a rack unit, the Pedulum SPS-1.

Louis
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Also think about an external boost pedal used in your FX loop. The advantage of the Pre in that use would be that with one button you could boost and add whatever fx you wanted at the same time. I can remember my old electric band days having to do the infamous 'pedal dance' for a lead, turning on boost, distortion, compressor and then shutting them all off after!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 05-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Also think about an external boost pedal used in your FX loop. The advantage of the Pre in tha tuse would be that with one button you could boost and add whatever fx you wanted at the same time. I can remember my old electric band days having to do the infamous 'pedal dance' for a lead, turning on boost, distortion, compressor and then shutting them all off after!
Good call! A clean boost pedal at the need of the chain in the FX loop would allow you to keep a reverb pedal on all the time, with the loop only engaged. But this of course only makes sense if you really need the switching and/or blending abilities of the PZ-Pre. After all, you'd be paying for a boost function you wouldn't be using.

Louis
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM

I tried this preamp last year and honestly, it didn't anywhere near as good as I anticipated. I'de stick with Baggs or Headway.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
I tried this preamp last year and honestly, it didn't anywhere near as good as I anticipated. I'de stick with Baggs or Headway.
The Baggs venue (and Para) don't have all the features that make the PZ Pre what it is (including dual input),the new Headway is about 75% more expensive. Apparently a lot of peole are quite pleased with the Radial. Not everything is for everyone!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification