The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Default eSonic2 Uneven Pickup Volume

I just purchased an Epiphone Masterbilt equipped with the NanoFlex piezo and NanoMag fingerboard pickup. They both go into the onboard eSonic2 preamp. For some reason, the NanoMag is much, MUCH quieter.

The only thing I've done to the guitar is take out the one of the endpin jacks (there's two on this guitar) to install a Baggs Lyric, no drilling was required. Other than that, it's practically right out of the box. I did a good job installing the Baggs. None of the wiring for the eSonic system should have been affected at all. All the wires seem to be in place. Nothing is loose. Could this just be a factory defect?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Hi JazzMac,

I presume you removed the NanoMag jack for stereo operation. What did you do with it? Did you secure the jack inside the guitar somewhere, with the leads still soldered to it? If those leads are shorting out somehow, perhaps that might kill the NanoMag's contribution to the mono out signal blend. Its hard to say without knowing exactly how that jack is supposed to work.

In any event, most folks on this forum probably aren't terribly familiar with the eSonic2 system. Here's a YouTube vid for the curious.
http://youtu.be/Cg3NS7p88aQ
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi JazzMac,

I presume you removed the NanoMag jack for stereo operation. What did you do with it? Did you secure the jack inside the guitar somewhere, with the leads still soldered to it? If those leads are shorting out somehow, perhaps that might kill the NanoMag's contribution to the mono out signal blend. Its hard to say without knowing exactly how that jack is supposed to work.

In any event, most folks on this forum probably aren't terribly familiar with the eSonic2 system. Here's a YouTube vid for the curious.
http://youtu.be/Cg3NS7p88aQ
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I did take off the nanomag input. Since this was just a test run, I let it dangle in the guitar for about 20 mins. I didn't take off any leads. I took a look at them and they all look to be in good shape.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMac251 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I did take off the nanomag input. Since this was just a test run, I let it dangle in the guitar for about 20 mins. I didn't take off any leads. I took a look at them and they all look to be in good shape.
I'm stumpted. If you just moved the location of the jack, with all the leads to the jack still properly connected and not shorting out in any way, then it seems like the the mono output should function as it normally does when the NanoMag input is unplugged. Perhaps your speculation that there might have been a pre-existing problem (before the Lyric was installed) was correct. I can't possibly see how the Lyric system itself, with its own battery and output jack, could possibly interfere with the operation of the eSonic2 system.

I hope that you can get some feedback from someone who owns this system. They would be able to tell you if a much lower NanoMag output is normal with the system. I'm guessing its not, and that there's a problem somewhere.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'm stumpted. If you just moved the location of the jack, with all the leads to the jack still properly connected and not shorting out in any way, then it seems like the the mono output should function as it normally does when the NanoMag input is unplugged. Perhaps your speculation that there might have been a pre-existing problem (before the Lyric was installed) was correct. I can't possibly see how the Lyric system itself, with its own battery and output jack, could possibly interfere with the operation of the eSonic2 system.

I hope that you can get some feedback from someone who owns this system. They would be able to tell you if a much lower NanoMag output is normal with the system. I'm guessing its not, and that there's a problem somewhere.
Yeah, it's certainly strange. I did some more experimentation last night. I noticed that, when plugged into the secondary jack (the one that is exclusively for the NanoMag), the Mag's output is twice as loud as when plugged into the primary jack (the one that sums the output of both pickups). I guess that means it's not the Mag pickup, then...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM

I just purchased the EJ 200ce with the esonic2 system, and from day one I had the same problem you did. I saw a few other folks mention it on the Epiphone.com forum. One person found it to be a loose connection. I took mine in to have it looked at by one of the store techs, and am waiting for a response.

I have found out that this is NOT supposed to be typical of the system. The Nanomag and Nanoflex pickups are intended to have similar outputs, and many other users have not had this problem, though it would appear a fair handful have.

If I can get the nature of the problem identified, I'll post it.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM

I have a Masterbuilt EF-500RCCE about 7 months old now and had very low volume from the Nanomag input. Spent some time with their tech support guy and checked out the leads which were all good. I eventually discovered that the endpin nut on the outside of the guitar was slightly loose. I just tightened it down and the problem cleared up instantly. If I loosened it up the problem reoccurred. It continues to work great now with equal volume from each Jack.

Did you put the jack back in and tighten it down and plug in to both jacks and test the volume? Or did you remove the Nanomag Jack immediately when you got the guitar and try the Lyric?

I have considered using a lyric also, but know that these eSonic2 preamps have had a lot of problems, so I have resisted taking it out.

I have several high end Martins and Gibsons, but I do like the quality of this Masterbuilt and it's great resonant body (other than the eSonic2).

Enjoy Life before Time Runs Out
Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop R8 2011
Martin D-28 2008
Martin GPCPA1 2010
Martin 000-28EC 2009
Voyage-Air VAOM-04 2011
Gibson J200 2001
Gibson LG1 1946
Gibson B25 1956
Fender Select Strat 2013
JTV69 Variax/Pod500/DT25 2012
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM

On my Epiphone DR500MCE, the Nanomag volume was fine until I put Elixers on it. Then it dropped way down. I put D'addarios back on and the volume came back. I tried heavier Elixers (13) and the volume dropped again. I'm now using coated D'addarios and the pickup levels are fine. I guess the core material on the bronze Elixers isn't as magnetic. I'll bet this is the main reason for this issue.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification