The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Silk Steel Amplified

I gave away a cheap guitar to a kid yesterday. Before I did, I cleaned it up and put new strings on it. I went for 'silk steel' because they are low tension, and I did not think the nut would handle nylon.

Anyway, after I strung it up... I started to like the feel of the silk steel strings. I'm toying with the idea of putting them on an acoustic/electric dread. Will they work ok with the pre-amp (fishman classic 4)? Will I lose volume?

I play the guitar a lot acoustically, and through a PA. However, I am starting to play electric a lot more, and going back to the acoustic is hard due to the increased tension. I'd really like to get my acoustic as easily playable as an electric

Maybe after the change, I will need a setup? Advice?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM

I put Silk & Steel on my Taylor 412 with K&K and experienced no vol drop. I also use a Red-Eye preamp. It sounds a little classical.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 PM

I've been running the silk n bronze from Pearse and the Martin FX 11's on my Tak for a while. I think I've settled on the Martins. They're cheaper, a little crisper and seem to show more attack through the PA. That might differ on your guitar though, build and technique etc.

For me they have a little less 'jangle' than the regular PB's and such, plus a little more flexible under the fingers too. You might need a slight tweak to the truss rod depending what you have on now.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Well, it is good to know that they will work

I guess I am one quick experiment away from trying it. About 'sounding classical'... that is ok by me. My son plays a nylon acoustic, and I really love it on the bass notes. The silk steel still have those nice trebles too as far as I can tell. Maybe it is just right for me then.

I'm using 11's right now, but the action is high as I had I set up at a time when I was very heavy handed in playing. I might get the relief reduced just a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification