The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Default What's the draw of Taylor guitars?

Hi there, beginner guitar player here.

I've played Taylor's at guitar center and everybody recommends them to me but I don't understand what their selling point is.

Whenever I play the high end Taylors the first thing I notice is how heavy and dense they are. I always have been told the lighter the guitar, the lighter the bracing, the more resonant. But Taylors are always very heavy and dense.

Sonically, they sound very tinny and bright. It's almost like what it would sound like if playing an electric guitar that became acoustic. And I'm talking high end ($2000+) Taylors.

Why does everybody recommend Taylors?

Last edited by cip; 03-19-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

They usually come pretty well setup and easy to play right off the bat, whereas many others need setups right away. So often times, a Taylor off the rack will play easier next to the Martin on the wall next to it.

That's about all I've got on this one, I'm pretty much with you.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I’ve wanted to love Taylor guitars. They do seem well made , and honestly, they look clean and tidy. But, the sound seems small and sterile. They typically sound (to my ear) like they might be made of synthetic materials as opposed to wood.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliudrosales View Post
I’ve wanted to love Taylor guitars. They do seem well made , and honestly, they look clean and tidy. But, the sound seems small and sterile. They typically sound (to my ear) like they might be made of synthetic materials as opposed to wood.
That's exactly the words I was trying to express!
Old 03-19-2024, 04:10 PM

One of America's top 3 (or 4) acoustic guitar manufacturers, reliable output (not much variation between examples of any particular model), incredible Customer Service, lifetime warranty, easy to play necks (that can be adjusted simply instead of a full reset), a huge line to pick from, 50 years of history and a sound that many (though not all) really like. These are all reasons MANY (though certainly not "everybody") recommend Taylors.

Having said that the guitar you love to play is the guitar you love to play. While other people may have some predisposed notions and biases if you like it then it (generally) doesn't matter what it says on the headstock. Play a bunch. Taylors and non Taylors. Then pick the one(s) that YOU like.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:13 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like the way they play right off the rack and I like the tone. They are also well made guitars. If I didn't have a Pellerin, I'd probably have a Taylor 814.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-19-2024, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
easy to play necks (that can be adjusted simply instead of a full reset).
Is this what makes them heavy and dense? I do notice the density and weight seems to come from the neck area.

Is it a special neck attachment system they're using that makes them easily adjusted as opposed to needing to be reset?
Old 03-19-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip View Post
This, as a broad brush stroke, sounds like a Taylor to me. I think the general recommendation is in general solid and not particularly surprising. I've never owned a Taylor but I never played one that matches your description. Not even close. Perhaps a bad one-off Taylor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VFiDG_Fb8w
Old 03-19-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I've never owned a Taylor but I never played one that matches your description. Not even close. Perhaps a bad one-off Taylor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VFiDG_Fb8w
I was at GC and the sales rep let me demo a Murphy lab gibson and 2 high end Taylors (2000+ $). And both of the Taylors were so dense and heavy in the same way versus the Gibson.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I like the sound of some Taylor models more than others. I generally like the 210/214 and the 814. Try many guitars of different brands, get an idea of what fits your hand best and sound YOU like, understanding that the playability of most guitars can be adjusted to play easily.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've played Taylor's at guitar center and everybody recommends them to me but I don't understand what their selling point is.

Whenever I play the high end Taylors the first thing I notice is how heavy and dense they are. I always have been told the lighter the guitar, the lighter the bracing, the more resonant. But Taylors are always very heavy and dense.

Sonically, they sound very tinny and bright. It's almost like what it would sound like if playing an electric guitar that became acoustic. And I'm talking high end ($2000+) Taylors.

Not everyone does, certainly not an amateur like me. I’ve never liked the sound of any of them I’ve play save one owned by a friend who loves older not V braced Taylor’s. I suppose they make good guitars though. Try a lot and buy what you like. I’d personally suggest Yamaha for some great playing and sounding budget friendly guitars.

Quote:
Is this what makes them heavy and dense? I do notice the density and weight seems to come from the neck area.

Is it a special neck attachment system they're using that makes them easily adjusted as opposed to needing to be reset?
Yeah, they’re bolted on.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

ive never found them tinny sounding of the rack, but I do put 13 PBs on mine once i set it up for my ears. weight is a a generalization that holds no weight imo, builder/woods/etc all come into play in affecting sound/resonance/etc. the later comment in thread on the neck and resetting goes back to the 70's. Normand Boucher perfected the inverted heel bolt on neck and Taylor capitalized on it, although with their own NT format but same engineering principle although ( inverted heel or not)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 03-19-2024, 04:48 PM

My Taylors certainly don't feel heavier to me than my Martins, but I haven't weighed them.

As for the sound, one also has to think about usage. The guitar that sounds good when you are playing solo doesn't always come out well in a band mix. The guitar that easily cuts through the mix doesn't always sound good when played alone.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:11 PM

Welcome, Cip!

Everybody does not recommend Taylors! Most of them are too bright for my ears, too. Some people like that, especially the open-mic crowd. My folk guitar taxomony:

Gibson = the saloon guitar: spunky, expressive, bold
Guild = the party guitar: twangy, talkative, boisterous
Martin = the porch guitar: balanced, complex, worldly
Taylor = the open-mic guitar: direct, callow, plain-spoken

Those are gross generalizations, of course. All four companies make world-class instruments, and they all work well in any of those four environments. But those are the tendencies I've noticed.

Keep test-driving guitars — even after you've bought one. Your tastes will broaden as you gain experience. The thrill is never gone.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

A couple things add to the weight.
The bolt on necks add a little, the battery adds a little and if you picked up a rosewood guitar, rosewood is dense and heavy.

I’ve had a few Taylor’s, my favorite is the 512 cedar over mahogany, and if ever I but another Taylor, it would be that one. The Taylor I still have and love is their small body 12 string, the 562.
As others have mentioned, the necks feel great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion