The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2024, 05:10 PM

The pricing has nothing to do with the cost of labor and materials and everything to do with what the market will bear. As long as there is someone willing to pay the price they will try to get it.

I like the 814 redwood top, but not for 5 grand.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapaho G View Post
The pricing has nothing to do with the cost of labor and materials and everything to do with what the market will bear. As long as there is someone willing to pay the price they will try to get it.

I like the 814 redwood top, but not for 5 grand.
I like it, overall, but I don't like that funky bevel they're doing in the cutaway...
Old 01-27-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOfYourLife View Post
Personally I am in shock and awe. In awe at the craftsmanship, in shock at the price!
I'd much rather have that Taylor for $4999 than a Martin of comparable body shape and woods (if both existed). I have heard a recording of a Taylor redwood top guitar and they sound marvelous. Martin has a $12999 redwood top dreadnought that sounded marvelous in a demo shown by Maury's music. But I think the Taylor redwood top sounds warmer and more soothing.

- Hsienmo 38S, Sinker Redwood

- Hsienmo Autumn, European Spruce

- Teton STA180CEAB-AR, Sitka Spruce

- Teton STS205CENT, Thuja / Redcedar

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-31-2024 at 09:47 AM. Reason: The thread is about Taylor not promoting another brand
Old 01-27-2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
Thanks for the review!
Do you have more info about the GS Minis?
I played a 50th anny GS-mini today. It was the same price mentioned in the video. Layered RW b/s with a burst top. I didn’t purchase, but I liked it more than the 314 anny.

Last edited by xfrankdatank; 01-27-2024 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2024, 11:03 PM

Cool video, thanks for linking. It had some of the other info I had heard, like the 314-BEs with the armrest and the addition of the GP shape to the 200 series. I'll have to see some of those new-fangled GS Mini tops in person, could be okay.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:17 AM

The GS Minis will have what kind of wood tops?
Old 01-28-2024, 02:41 PM

Beautiful looking guitars, I'm sure they play fantastic. Yet those prices. Wow. Well above my talent bracket.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Limited edition. Limited to how many they can sell? At least Martin does limited runs and they state only 50 are being made, or 80 in case of an 80th anniversary model. But you can't fault the sheer number of models they can crank out. I personally have not liked the modern Taylor since the bold on neck was introduced. I played Taylor #6. It was a very nice guitar. They lost me in the 90s. They also became very successful.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-28-2024, 03:22 PM

I'm not saying I'm in love with the pricing or V bracing. How many fingerstyle guitars can you order with a redwood top for under $5k these days? Seems like most luthier builds start at $5-6k. As a Taylor, you know it will play great from the start, you'll get it in under 6 months, and you'll have impeccable customer support.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:48 PM

I've already chimed in my dos centavos, but the comment on bringing "old specs" with particular mention of x-bracing is a CRACK UP!

Yeah, to me who loves his old (dare I say pre Andy) stuff. If they "re-release" x-bracing the ol marketing team can't very well claim 'better" since the v-brace was better-er. Can't wait to see how that plays; and this from a Taylor fan, LOL!

Edward
Old 01-28-2024, 11:56 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Limited edition. Limited to how many they can sell? At least Martin does limited runs and they state only 50 are being made, or 80 in case of an 80th anniversary model. But you can't fault the sheer number of models they can crank out. I personally have not liked the modern Taylor since the bold on neck was introduced. I played Taylor #6. It was a very nice guitar. They lost me in the 90s. They also became very successful.
They're only making 1,974 of some of them, based on the year the company started.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:36 AM

Default Thoughts on Taylor's new 50th anniversary line?

Just based on videos and listening with quality headphones, the 50th Builders Edition 814, at least to my ears, beats the new skeletized Martin that is the “New Era” or whatever. With some of Taylor’s body sizes and wood combos, V-Class works great. Another good example is the AD22, bringing uncanny articulation and dynamics to a hard wood top in a GC shape. I like the look of some of those GS Minis too, although I’ve never liked one enough to buy one.

Last edited by steelvibe; 01-29-2024 at 12:48 AM. Reason: redundancy from the department of redundancy...
Old 01-30-2024, 02:22 AM

They do not have the same focus as they once did I feel. It seems that they are about guitars as a lifestyle and always have something *new* coming out all the time . Too many different aesthetic differences in and between each series. The prices are high to the point where it edges into the custom shop/handbuilt realm.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Just based on videos and listening with quality headphones, the 50th Builders Edition 814, at least to my ears, beats the new skeletized Martin that is the “New Era” or whatever. With some of Taylor’s body sizes and wood combos, V-Class works great. Another good example is the AD22, bringing uncanny articulation and dynamics to a hard wood top in a GC shape. I like the look of some of those GS Minis too, although I’ve never liked one enough to buy one.
I also heard a good recording of the 50th anniversary 814. I think it was Alamo music. It looks great IMO and sounded very good. I agree it beats the new Martin GPCE Inception. That guitar doesn't do much for me tonally. The Taylor 50th Anniversary 814 looks quite nice.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-24-2024, 10:03 AM

When I got serious about learning guitar in 2005 the local shop pointed me to the Taylor line as quality, easy to play instruments. The model I craved was the 714ce, that was rosewood/cedar but due to financial considerations I ‘settled’ for a 314 Khaya/spruce, minus cutaway and electronics. I still own and love that guitar, it’s my only acoustic and a great sounding strummer. Now … finances have improved and that 50th 814ce RW/redwood is similar to the one I didn’t get, and I’m GASing for one for fingerstyle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion