The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Bought mine from an AGF member for $1200. Admittedly not pristine but lovely nonetheless.

I also have a Blueridge 140. Also lovely and half the price. Probably needs to go away but it sounds so good.

The OP is just trolling anyways - asked about square shouldered dreads that sound most like a D-18, then later says he doesn't want a D-18 anyways!
It isn’t trolling. These two things are not mutually exclusive. The OP does not want a Martin D18 due to the price so he therefore wants a less expensive guitar that sounds reasonably close to a D18. The question, as posed, made complete sense to me. I still think that the D 16 ‘93H is the answer, but if the 1 11/16” nut is a dealbreaker, then I would look at a Blueridge Br 140a. All that being said, I sold a 2014 D18 for, if I remember correctly, $1300.

For what it is worth, I am playing a brand new D18 right now and it is simply fabulous. It is much better than the 2014 I sold, and IMO, better than the HD 28 that I sold relatively recently. It isn’t as good as my Bourgeois, but it is a very good guitar.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Hmmmm, you really do sound as though what you want is an E10D then. I know how you feel about your E10SS; you won't be disappointed with an E10D, trust me. Mine compliment each other quite nicely,
Folks, thanks for all these wonderful responses. A lot of great suggestions. I didn't want to turn over my cards in the beginning because I wanted unbiased responses. Now that I have them, I'm happy to share where I'm at, in brief.

Many of you know that I have an Eastman E-10SS that I love. I have been leaning Eastman E-10D all along, but wanted to see what else was out there that I may not know about.

I do a lot of research before I buy anything and rarely, if ever, do I resell a quality guitar; it is mine for life. So I move slowly, methodically, and typically take months before I make a decision. I collect data, suggestions, comments, etc. Yes, I know: a little maddening for most, but this is the way I roll.

I know the Eastman is an easy choice and I'd be very happy with an E-10D. I'm intrigued by the Blueridge models, but I would not buy the regular BR-140 for two cosmetic reasons: 1) The gaudy headstock design. For a company that calls this a "traditional" approach, why are you mucking up the headstock with all these cheap swirls and gauds? Ugh. And 2) The color of the top looks like cheap Coppertone tanning butter. And please don't tell me it doesn't look so bad in person. I've played them in person and I find the orange top hideous. Another ugh.

So that narrows it down to two choices, either the Eastman E-10D (or E-6D) or the Blueridge BR-140A, which has a nice simple headstock, no crap swirling around.

A buddy tells me the Blueridges are REALLY bright. I don't like bright guitars.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks so much!
Scott
Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
So that narrows it down to two choices, either the Eastman E-10D (or E-6D) or the Blueridge BR-140A, which has a nice simple headstock, no crap swirling around.

A buddy tells me the Blueridges are REALLY bright. I don't like bright guitars.
It comes down to individual ears, but --

Blueridge are not bright in a Taylor or Collings kind of way. Seem more "woody" to me.

I never thought that Eastmans had a Martin vibe. Sound more modern to me, like a Bourgeois. I love the tone of my Bourgeois, but it's not a "traditional" sort of sound.

But -- as always -- YMMV.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

A buddy of mine, whose opinion I trust, and who knows my playing style and preferences, has told me in no uncertain terms that I will find the Blueridge models too bright. He also mentioned Collings as a comparison.

I've never played a Collings for any length of time, but I am not fond of the brightness found in most Taylors. I know a lot of people love them, but Taylor is not my bag and I can never see owning one.

Thanks so much,

sm
Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

The "grass is greener" syndrome will throw you under the bus if you let it. (speaking for myself here) I'm on my third post 2012 D-18. First was a standard, the second was a custom Adi topped version. Always thought there was a better (D-18 or similar) to be had? Now I'm on my third one...an MFG custom Adi topped Ambertone and this one will not leave.

Eastman's are nice instruments but as has been said...I really don't think they sound that much like a Martin. And maybe that's the point...I don't know? Never owned a Blueridge but folks here seem to really like them. And in several YT videos I listened to they did sound good. So good luck with your search. I'm sure what you're looking for is out there. I'll be curious to see what you decide...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Musical minimalist

I think most guitars you will find at this price point in Mahogany/Spruce will be a little more thin in the trebles and possibly regarded as "bright". I think they will also mostly be quite fundamental in their characteristics.

These are the things that changed greatly when I modified the E10D.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I think most guitars you will find at this price point in Mahogany/Spruce will be a little more thin in the trebles and possibly regarded as "bright". I think they will also mostly be quite fundamental in their characteristics.

These are the things that changed greatly when I modified the E10D.
fitness, I may have missed this. What mods did you make to your E-10D?

thanks,
scott
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 PM

Scott. Find a used D-18! I also wanted a D-18, and one came along on Atl Craigslist I snagged for $1500. A 2014 model in exc condition with original case, etc. He wanted $1600 but it had a small "case latch" ding on the top (you can hardly see it, unless you're looking hard for price leverage!).

I now have a killer Thompson dread ($5k+) I play more often, but the 18 sounds and plays really great!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM

I have a Blueridge but as you can see it is not a dread and it is not mahogany. With that said, mine is not what I consider bright at all. Full bodied is how I would describe it, well balanced maybe.

I have never played a BR-140 with or without the Adirondack top. If it is as well built as my OM size they are well worth considering.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM

I've owned 2 E10D's and, though nice, as others have said here, they did not sound like Martins. They were more strident sounding to my ears.

I bet the Blueridge 140A will sound more like a D-18. I haven't owned one but I did own a 160A (rosewood version) that was much more Martiny sounding than my Eastmans. That was a nice guitar! Both of my Eastmans and my Blueridge had much more responsive tops than a straight-braced D-18 that I owned from 2008.

For reference, I am intimate with the "martin sound" as far as dreads go. My "keeper" guitars are both high-end martin dreads.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
fitness, I may have missed this. What mods did you make to your E-10D?

thanks,
scott
Minor sanding of braces and port(s). It was a guitar that I had owned a year or so ago, and when I sold my Charis dread I was itching for another Mahogany/Spruce dread. I bought a couple of Martins (noted above) and thought it would be interested to compare them.

Before it left the first time I'd very lightly sanded the lower part of the X brace and the tone bar closest to the bridge. I had one oval port in it on the upper bout that was small-ish. Here's a recording I did with it at that time:

https://app.box.com/s/flr8u7s6qjo29jarhx4bhf35w5tjkuuh

When comparing them to the 2014 D18 and 2012(?) D18GE at that point, the Eastman was just way more dynamically responsive. Both Martins had a softness about them that wasn't pleasing to me. The E10D was louder and just more robust, and I knew there was more to be "had" if I furthered my experiment.

I did 3 more sessions of tapering the braces (sanding the sides more and not reducing height too much) and added a lower bout arrangement of smaller ports.

The end result is probably one of the top 5 instruments I've had here tonally (and that's saying a LOT!)

The bracing is still quite substantial - more than my other steel strings by quite a bit (especially the Mcknight) so I have ZERO worries about any problems arising.

I dropped a K&K in it the other day and I've not gone that far with many guitars in the last 10 years. That says something on it's own!

Last edited by fitness1; 10-17-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Minor sanding of braces and port(s). It was a guitar that I had owned a year or so ago, and when I sold my Charis dread I was itching for another Mahogany/Spruce dread. I bought a couple of Martins (noted above) and thought it would be interested to compare them.

Before it left the first time I'd very lightly sanded the lower part of the X brace and the tone bar closest to the bridge. I had one oval port in it on the upper bout that was small-ish. Here's a recording I did with it at that time:

https://app.box.com/s/flr8u7s6qjo29jarhx4bhf35w5tjkuuh

When comparing them to the 2014 D18 and 2012(?) D18GE at that point, the Eastman was just way more dynamically responsive. Both Martins had a softness about them that wasn't pleasing to me. The E10D was louder and just more robust, and I knew there was more to be "had" if I furthered my experiment.

I did 3 more sessions of tapering the braces (sanding the sides more and not reducing height too much) and added a lower bout arrangement of smaller ports.

The end result is probably one of the top 5 instruments I've had here tonally (and that's saying a LOT!)

The bracing is still quite substantial - more than my other steel strings by quite a bit (especially the Mcknight) so I have ZERO worries about any problems arising.

I dropped a K&K in it the other day and I've not gone that far with many guitars in the last 10 years. That says something on it's own!

Man that thing sounds sweet. How much would it cost me to get those mods?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Man that thing sounds sweet. How much would it cost me to get those mods?
Well, you should hear it now! Not even close to the same guitar. My fancy ones have been getting a rest lately

Old 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I"m always curious about people's opinions. I have the resources to acquire a D-18, but will most likely be going in an OM direction for the time being.

I prefer to buy used, but am always open to buying new.

With that in mind, what square-shouldered dreads have you owned or played that come CLOSEST to the tone of a D-18 for under, say, $1200. FYI: I am only looking at models that would have a 1.75" nut.

Thanks!

scott
Hi Scott,

I believe the top two contenders would be the Eastman E10D and the Blueridge BR140. Here are a few videos comparing the recorded sound of these two instruments to a D18

Eastman E10D compared to a Martin D18

Blueridge BR140

Spoon playing many of the same compositions on a Martin D18. Same room. Same microphone. Same player.

To my ears the D18 has a unique sound, but the Blueridge BR140 gets your closer to the Martin sound than the Eastman in this case. That said, I've never been a fan of that Blueridge pickguard.

EDIT: I see you are looking for a 1.75" nut width, the Blueridge is 1 11/16" so the Eastman is probably a better fit.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 10-17-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM

After hearing the videos I think you should go the common sense approach, save up a little more and go for the Martin D-18, the other guitars don't get even close to that Martin tone. A couple hundred dollars shouldn't be that hard to save up for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion