The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
The official Yamaha Store in London currently has the higher end L Series on sale. I can’t remember the RRPs but I think they are about half price. L26 series at just £1,700 and L 36 at just over £2k. Somebody is going to get a bargain...
That has to be one of the best deals for a long time. Not only are the prices right down but when you order they are throwing in a Yamaha soundbar and sub woofer for free ( mrp £429, street price £300 ).
Old 06-27-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The official Yamaha Store in London currently has the higher end L Series on sale. I can’t remember the RRPs but I think they are about half price. L26 series at just £1,700 and L 36 at just over £2k. Somebody is going to get a bargain...
Yeah, there was a recent post about this from another guy that bought a 36 during that blow out. Can’t wait to see if they are blowing them out due to new product, a revamp, etc...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Can anyone tell me a couple of things about Yamaha.... First I had a A3m but stupidly sold it...

Ok why would I buy a FGX830 over a A1m or A1R ?? are they basically the same?

It's just that the A3m's are $859 now so I need to find something for less

Or a L6 over either one of them..I know the neck size is 1.75 on the L6 but is it a better sounding guitar over the A1M or R?

As you see I'm struggling to make the right choice to replace the A3M I sold... mainly in Tone...
Old 06-27-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Can anyone tell me a couple of things about Yamaha.... First I had a A3m but stupidly sold it...

Ok why would I buy a FGX830 over a A1m or A1R ?? are they basically the same?

It's just that the A3m's are $859 now so I need to find something for less

Or a L6 over either one of them..I know the neck size is 1.75 on the L6 but is it a better sounding guitar over the A1M or R?

As you see I'm struggling to make the right choice to replace the A3M I sold... mainly in Tone...
If you loved your A3M and the tone and playability of it, then that will factor into this decision but either way it looks like you will be 'downgrading' from going from solid b/s to laminated if you're limited with funds. It's not necessarily a downgrade, there are benefits to laminated.

I love the L series, I have an LL16, but the tone will be different with the rosewood model than the mahogany that you had in the A3M, you can get some L series in mahogany if you prefer.
Also, the L series will definitely not play as fast or smoothly as your A3M did. So if you loved the way the neck felt and played on your A3M, I would suggest trying the FGX820/800 or whatever you were thinking, the neck will be more familiar. But if you didn't have complaints with your A3M, my number one pick would probably be to try the A1R or A1M.

But, trying out all these options is probably a good option, maybe you'll find you love the way the L series plays, they certainly are fantastic quality guitars.

I always long for the playability of the A series guitars, so nice to play, wouldn't be surprised if I buckled and bought a A3R or M one of these years.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Yeah, there was a recent post about this from another guy that bought a 36 during that blow out. Can’t wait to see if they are blowing them out due to new product, a revamp, etc...
According to the Yamaha guys here in the UK, there is nothing to suggest this at this time. The kind of deals going on here right now are more indicative of a need to stimulate some cashflow, hence the crazy giveaways on Home Cinema / wireless speakers on these sales. These offers came up not long before the reopening of the London store after lockdown.

I have been told this week that there is also going to be a significant gap in the supply chain going forward across, at least, the music division, due to CV19 interrupting production
Old 06-27-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearstudio View Post
According to the Yamaha guys here in the UK, there is nothing to suggest this at this time. The kind of deals going on here right now are more indicative of a need to stimulate some cashflow, hence the crazy giveaways on Home Cinema / wireless speakers on these sales. These offers came up not long before the reopening of the London store after lockdown.

I have been told this week that there is also going to be a significant gap in the supply chain going forward across, at least, the music division, due to CV19 interrupting production
Ah, I see...That makes a lot of sense...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Guilty

It took me some time to arrange, as they do not allow for overseas orders on their web. I have contacted them at the Saturday evening using the chat window on the web, next day morning sales guy contacted me by email, two days to get shipping costs from their external agency (does not work on weekend), checking details, invoice, payment. Their technician should be doing set-up for lower action now (service offered and provided for free). LJ36 on its way next week...

LS36 is not in stock, it is incorrectly indicated on the website. LL36 is still available, I am not greedy
Old 03-08-2024, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Four years since the last post, so I'll resurrect the thread and see who's still around.

LS16 A.R.E rosewood incoming - and to keep it company an LL6, either rosewood or mahogany, can't decide.

Both will be 99% fingerpickers and not so much blues, as folk and pseudo-classical (for want of better terminology), so I'm erring towards rosewood for the LL too. A dealer here in the UK has the LL6 at half price and for £8.00 per month finance it would be rude not to buy (at least) one.

I used to own an LS6, but apart from the aesthetics never really appreciated it. I'm a better player now and have more of an idea about how to set up a guitar the way I want it, so I'm looking forward to getting it.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I used to own an LS6, but apart from the aesthetics never really appreciated it.
It's finding what speaks (or sings) to you. I love my LS6 and play it more than my more expensive guitars. I've also been surprised at how many compliments from other guitarists I get about the sound from its pickup (the factory UST).
Old 03-08-2024, 11:51 AM

I am now on my third L Series Yamaha from the time that this thread first started.
I had to let my beautiful LL-16-12, 12 string go as my hands have become arthritic.
I was able to replace it with a great Guild 8 string Baritone, that I tune D to D.
I can play the 8 string without the finger pain that I got from the 12 string.

Moving forward, I recently purchased a new LL-16D.
What a beautiful looking and sounding guitar!.
I have a friend that owns a couple of high end Martin guitars and this Yamaha keeps up with them in looks and sound.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

@arthurslowhand, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I am awaiting delivery of my LS16 rosewood tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my favorite guitar my FS5.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:31 PM

My LJ36 arrived a few months ago, purchased used online based on the rave reviews I'd read. I'd never actually played one before but had been pleasantly surprised by how well an FG5 had sounded and I decided Yamaha's higher end guitars might be a bargain.

I bought it to be my "fingerstyle" guitar in my modest collection. It is exactly what I'd hoped it would be although it is more versatile than I anticipated. Sweet, clear, resonant, balanced. Wonderful for fingerstyle, but it would sound great at a bluegrass jam - not as much "barK' as my DR Deluxe by any means, but great note separation and it sounds great flat picked.

The setup is excellent although I have no idea if it came that way from the factory, was set up by the original retailer or perfected by a luthier for the original owner. My only complaint, as such, is the blingy inlays surrounding the top...I'd prefer something a little more subdued. But when it sounds that good, I guess it has the right to be a little on the flashy side.

I can only scratch my head wondering why the original owner let it get into the hands of an online guitar store. Probably a sad story there, I doubt it was disappointment in the guitar itself. I'm lucky to be its second owner. Cheers!

Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe 2009, Jayson Bowerman ...(co-designer Preston Thompson)
Santa Cruz Model F, 1998, Richard Hoover
Yamaha LJ36, 2022, Hiroshi Sakurai
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Last edited by para_adams; 03-08-2024 at 10:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion