The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 PM

Yep. I have been following that. I pulled mine out to try the Dazzo. I really like it better. No session needed.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-29-2016, 06:07 AM

I have tried tons of variations over the last 5 years. I have also read tons of various opinions on this forum - with mine included. There are so many variables to consider it's mind boggling. Guitar shapes are different, bracing is different, tone woods are different, back and sides different, etc. Now add that to the various types of pickups and manufacturers and it compounds the variables. Lastly, our ears and preferences and playing situations and styles. Quite room solo versus loud band. Amp versus PA. Country music versus Jazz. Inside versus outside.

Best advice is what dogdog49 gave. Buy both and take them home. Try them out in a side by side comparison. I bought an A, B ,Y switch just so I could bounce back and forth with this comparison. You can take the one back that doesn't suit your taste. Or you might be like me... Find one does great in one guitar/pickup/situation and another fits a different.

I went to a bar with a guitar playing friend of mine. We listened to one guy with vocal and acoustic. My friend commented on how great the guitar sounded. He went to ask the musician about it at a break. I thought it sounded way too bright. My friend plays and Taylor and I play a Martin.

Good luck in your search and have fun. I think that is the best part about it and why we all come to this forum. To hear, learn and share all the possibilities. Nothing like playing and loving what you are hearing. It's a huge joy and a huge confidence builder.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:57 AM

I use the bodyrez pedal in conjuction with a Keely compressor pedal. Between the 2 I have dialed in my tone with my Taylor 314ce.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get both and see which one (if any) works best for my set up.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I'm using a session DI with an M80 and like it. The hi pass filter set at 80hz clears up some low frequency and the notch filter lets you go a little louder. The saturation adds a little bite and the EQ/compression works well. I went with the M80 over an Anthem because I still hear a little piezo quack with the Anthem. I play jazzboxes as well so I don't mind the slightly magnetic sound of the M80. I think of it as a jazzbox with acoustic flavor which I quite like.

Well I gave up on the Session DI for my M80 pickup and went back to using my Tech21 SansAmp Para DI. So far that is my favorite preamp for both acoustic guitar and jazzbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get both and see which one (if any) works best for my set up.
What are you plugging into? That will probably make the biggest difference. I haven't tried the Body Rez. don't like that concept. I have the Session. The compression is very subtle but the saturation adds a nice character. In conjunction with my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ it sounds really nice. I'm using a Fishman Rare Earth and also a Barbera Soloist in one guitar.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM

I considered the Bodyrez pedal, but glad I took the concept a little further and went all-out for the TC Play Acoustic (after some consideration). The bodyrez in the Play Acoustic has advanced settings which provides 5-way parametric (with Q) and shelving and HP filtering, i.e., seriously surgical, plus a full compressor parameter set, and a subtle sprinkling of magic dust in the form of minuscule fast reflections to provide 'air'. The pedal version has one knob, a one size fits all topology, which won't always quite match the guitar/pickup combination it's fed. This would account for reported 'woofyness' with the Bodyrez pedal. It improves things for sure, but will likely still leave you at the mercy of additional EQ.

If you're singing as well-either in a small ensemble, band, or solo-and can take the knock of the extra bucks/footprint, you might end up thanking yourself. Having your vocal channel sorted and at your feet/disposal is a seriously pleasant asset that makes setup faster/stress-free. Plus all the reverbs, delays, looping options you could shake a stick at.

If price and footprint are an absolute priority, then this tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds, Jim...
Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
What are you plugging into? That will probably make the biggest difference. I haven't tried the Body Rez. don't like that concept. I have the Session. The compression is very subtle but the saturation adds a nice character. In conjunction with my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ it sounds really nice. I'm using a Fishman Rare Earth and also a Barbera Soloist in one guitar.
At the moment I'm running into the 3 below dependant on the size of the gig etc:
Yamaha Stagepas 600i
Tc Helicon VoiceSolo FX150
Marshall AS50D

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1 View Post
I considered the Bodyrez pedal, but glad I took the concept a little further and went all-out for the TC Play Acoustic (after some consideration). The bodyrez in the Play Acoustic has advanced settings which provides 5-way parametric (with Q) and shelving and HP filtering, i.e., seriously surgical, plus a full compressor parameter set, and a subtle sprinkling of magic dust in the form of minuscule fast reflections to provide 'air'. The pedal version has one knob, a one size fits all topology, which won't always quite match the guitar/pickup combination it's fed. This would account for reported 'woofyness' with the Bodyrez pedal. It improves things for sure, but will likely still leave you at the mercy of additional EQ.

If you're singing as well-either in a small ensemble, band, or solo-and can take the knock of the extra bucks/footprint, you might end up thanking yourself. Having your vocal channel sorted and at your feet/disposal is a seriously pleasant asset that makes setup faster/stress-free. Plus all the reverbs, delays, looping options you could shake a stick at.

If price and footprint are an absolute priority, then this tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds, Jim...

I have looked at the Play acoustic as I have a harmony singer and love it. I suppose I could sell the harmony singer and just use the play acoustic for guitar and vocals. I just wish it had a 1/4 inch out for guitar to amp

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
At the moment I'm running into the 3 below dependant on the size of the gig etc:
Yamaha Stagepas 600i
Tc Helicon VoiceSolo FX150
Marshall AS50D
Those are 3 very different systems to play through. Is there for a live performance or at home? You can't really expect much out of the TC Helicon. It's just too small. I have the similar Mackie unit and it gets used occasionally as a vocal monitor for low volume gigs.

With the Marshall I assume it's on the floor? At home I have studio monitors and just about everything sounds good through those in that environment. For live I use a pair of QSC K10's which can sound good but much of it depends on the room. In a nice room when I can set them up properly and get a bit of distance from them they sound great. Too close, off axis and the sound changes constantly. In general I don't like speakers pointing directly at me.

It's hard to say without knowing what the environment is. One thing I do find is that in low volume situations where you are still hearing the instrument acoustically that can really alter the overall sound. I did a big outside gig last week with another acoustic guitarist and a drummer. I used my modded Taylor T5 for acoustic and electric sounds and it sounded really good but that was also a really big PA with subs and a lot of wattage.

EQ can only do so much. With some guitars they always sound "right" and with some they need to be constantly tweaked. I've sometimes spent a lot of time with my system at home carefully trying to EQ my guitar and get to a gig and those settings don't work at all. With an acoustic , it's kind of a moving target.

You might consider multi source which a lot of pros use. The best sound I've gotten was mixing my Fishman Rare earth Blend with my K&K mini. It's more work but way more flexible than trying to get one pickup to do it all. You've got some good pickups there, you should be able to make it work.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I have looked at the Play acoustic as I have a harmony singer and love it. I suppose I could sell the harmony singer and just use the play acoustic for guitar and vocals. I just wish it had a 1/4 inch out for guitar to amp
I did just this. I wanted to have the body rez effect available for gigs where I am using the house PA. It is built into my Line 6 unit and sounds awesome. I had rehearsed a few times with the Harmony GTX, which is a great unit for vocals and guitar reverb. Once I made the decision to start using the TC mic features live, I considered just buying a body rez pedal to go with it. But, this way I can accomplish both (plus tuner) with one unit. I do not use a pedal board. If you start with a great "natural" pickup system and add body rez, it sounds like a microphone. The vocal processing speaks for itself. Pun intended.

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Those are 3 very different systems to play through. Is there for a live performance or at home? You can't really expect much out of the TC Helicon. It's just too small. I have the similar Mackie unit and it gets used occasionally as a vocal monitor for low volume gigs.

With the Marshall I assume it's on the floor? At home I have studio monitors and just about everything sounds good through those in that environment. For live I use a pair of QSC K10's which can sound good but much of it depends on the room. In a nice room when I can set them up properly and get a bit of distance from them they sound great. Too close, off axis and the sound changes constantly. In general I don't like speakers pointing directly at me.

It's hard to say without knowing what the environment is. One thing I do find is that in low volume situations where you are still hearing the instrument acoustically that can really alter the overall sound. I did a big outside gig last week with another acoustic guitarist and a drummer. I used my modded Taylor T5 for acoustic and electric sounds and it sounded really good but that was also a really big PA with subs and a lot of wattage.

EQ can only do so much. With some guitars they always sound "right" and with some they need to be constantly tweaked. I've sometimes spent a lot of time with my system at home carefully trying to EQ my guitar and get to a gig and those settings don't work at all. With an acoustic , it's kind of a moving target.

You might consider multi source which a lot of pros use. The best sound I've gotten was mixing my Fishman Rare earth Blend with my K&K mini. It's more work but way more flexible than trying to get one pickup to do it all. You've got some good pickups there, you should be able to make it work.
The TC Helicon is for practice/home use. The Marshall for small gigs and the stagepas for everything else. I'm happy with my pickups I'm not going for natural sound just looking to polish what I've already got

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I did just this. I wanted to have the body rez effect available for gigs where I am using the house PA. It is built into my Line 6 unit and sounds awesome. I had rehearsed a few times with the Harmony GTX, which is a great unit for vocals and guitar reverb. Once I made the decision to start using the TC mic features live, I considered just buying a body rez pedal to go with it. But, this way I can accomplish both (plus tuner) with one unit. I do not use a pedal board. If you start with a great "natural" pickup system and add body rez, it sounds like a microphone. The vocal processing speaks for itself. Pun intended.
Thanks I think this is the way to go. I've recently picked up a Baggs M80 and I think it sounds awesome live. Just adding a little finishing touch to it is my goal.

The TC tone function in itself is awesome I don't use the harmonies much on my pedal but always have it in the chain just for the improvement it gives my vocals.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes, that's a major oversight in its design.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:35 PM

I just did my first rehearsal with the Play Acoustic. Very COOL! It took about 45 minutes to get setup and dialed in. But, the guitar tone is excellent and the vocals sound better than I deserve.

Also, you can combine both signals into the mono vox out and do the guitar mix onboard. That way you need only one XLR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification