The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Luthiers, what top wood brings out the best in Ebony?

Hi,

Can you tell me whether you prefer a particular top wood to pair with Ebony due to their respective tonal properties?

Thanks.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 02-11-2016, 07:32 PM

Default Lutz...

I am not a builder but a real fan of Lutz...can you separately comment on your two Lutz v. Adirondack? While I have had good luck with both, I think I prefer Lutz.

Also in the 'maligned' thread, lots of support for 'plain, old Sitka!'
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 02-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hi,

Can you tell me whether you prefer a particular top wood to pair with Ebony due to their respective tonal properties?

Thanks.
I once asked about the tonal proprieties of ebony as back and sides and, if I'm not mistaken, amidst the discussion Simon fay said that his favorite top to pair with ebony was Engelmann (Not really sure if my memory is in the right place though).

Since Mr. Fay had built guitars with ebony b/s I do believe that his words are a good take.

Regards, Hikari.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:50 PM

Default ebony with....

There are ebonies and there are ebonies. Generally, I would pair it with one of the softer woods. Engelmann that someone suggested, is a decent choice. And Cedar or Redwood be good choices. But first, I would listen to the suggestions of the builder. Ebony can make a fine guitar. Many of us wish there were more of it in the world.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I like to pair Ebonies with Carpathian, Italian, stiff Cedar or the right Redwood. Since we all build and voice guitars differently, I can only comment on what works for me. Ebony, in my hands, needs a top with clarity and some lushness and overtones since ebony tends to sound more fundamental. I would not pair it with a top that is too dark or warm sounding.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've built several Macassar ebony guitars, topped with Adirondack and Redwood; both wood combos sounded great. The Adirondack-topped one had a lot of power and projection, while a redwood topped one had a great tone for open tuning fingerstyle. I've also built a couple with Sinker Redwood, and those are my personal favorites.
I recently built a Falcon- my smallest model- with Gabon Ebony back and sides, and a Tunnel 13 Redwood top. It's shockingly assertive for a little guitar, and has a very interesting edge to it, almost like a resonator guitar.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:00 PM

As Tim said, we all build and voice differently, so we can only speak to our own experience.

I've topped my ebony instruments --Macassar and Malaysian Blackwood--with stiffer than average WRC. The tops had more overtones than most spruces, but definitely more focused than the standard, run of the mill cedar. The next one I have planned, an OM, will probably have a Port Orford top--one of my favorite tonewoods.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have played the Falcon that Steve is referring to here...and it is one of most incredible guitars that I've ever had the opportunity to play. The smaller body absolutely allowed me to play longer than usual, with the issues that I'm having with my right shoulder. But, aside from the ergonomics, the tonal range and complexity that Steve was able to coax out of this smaller body fascinated me, and I found it almost impossible to put down. The combination of Gabon Ebony and Tunnel 13 Redwood is apparently a perfect combination!!!.....of course you can't dismiss the fact that it was created at the hands of a truly gifted luthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I've built several Macassar ebony guitars, topped with Adirondack and Redwood; both wood combos sounded great. The Adirondack-topped one had a lot of power and projection, while a redwood topped one had a great tone for open tuning fingerstyle. I've also built a couple with Sinker Redwood, and those are my personal favorites.
I recently built a Falcon- my smallest model- with Gabon Ebony back and sides, and a Tunnel 13 Redwood top. It's shockingly assertive for a little guitar, and has a very interesting edge to it, almost like a resonator guitar.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:36 AM

Default Gabon Ebony and ...

Englemann spruce.
I was never a fan of Englemann spruce until I purchased Mark Hatcher's first Piña parlor. The Englemann and gabon Ebony just blended into the perfect parlor. Up until now, I have never been totally satisfied with any parlor sized guitar. The "g" always fell short. But, not this one.

My hats off to Mark.

While tonewood selection is subjective and as Tim says dependent upon the build/builder. He is spot on about this.

I am convinced that you could take two master luthier's with the same tonewoods and they would arrive at a different tonal quality and volume from the same model concept.

...nuff said
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 03-05-2016, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

The one in a luthier's wood locker that possesses the properties they are looking for based upon their understanding their guitar design, construction methods, your playing style, likes and dislikes and goals for the instrument. Given the variability within each wood species (including the body wood that you are asking about) the correct answer can and should be a wide variety of types of top woods. Just look at the variety of woods suggested in response to your query.

My $.02
Old 03-05-2016, 08:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

To me, a safer place to start the search would be the size/shape of the guitar you are considering. Will this be a parlor guitar, or are you thinking jumbo? Those two extremes for instance, would affect my approach more than back/side wood. And next would be style of music, with what you want this guitar to do.
As has been said, a number of species work, and work well with Ebony.
But i'd suggest you define some other criteria first.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
To me, a safer place to start the search would be the size/shape of the guitar you are considering. Will this be a parlor guitar, or are you thinking jumbo? Those two extremes for instance, would affect my approach more than back/side wood. And next would be style of music, with what you want this guitar to do.
As has been said, a number of species work, and work well with Ebony.
But i'd suggest you define some other criteria first.

Steve
Now there's some wisdom speaking...Steve K is brilliant and insightful.

Lots of great ideas here, all things being equal, I've heard some really good guitars with Englemann over Macassar (a McPherson 3.5 I once had with that combo was amazing) and Sinker Redwood of just plain ole' Redwood over Macassar. I think Steve is right however and the size of the box will dictate a lot about what is going to sound best as well as the type of music you plan to play with the guitar. This can be decided easily if this is your only guitar or one that is part of a family of guitars...if it were me I'd dial it in to some particular type of music I want to play because I have several that all sound a bit different for varying moods etc.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Steve will be building me a (stiff) Sinker Redwood/Macassar Ebony guitar in the future, time to be determined. I had a Taylor in Sinker/Macassar, and that's the guitar that got away. Steve is going to bring it back, on steroids for me. No pressure, Steve...

I all seriousness, this combination has been my favorite. Crip, yet lush, full, sweet and with headroom to spare. I think this combination can all you to coax any kind of emotion from the music you play. It is sweet when played fingerstyle, handles strumming...whatever you want the guitar to do, it will do.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Steve will be building me a (stiff) Sinker Redwood/Macassar Ebony guitar in the future, time to be determined. I had a Taylor in Sinker/Macassar, and that's the guitar that got away. Steve is going to bring it back, on steroids for me. No pressure, Steve...

I all seriousness, this combination has been my favorite. Crip, yet lush, full, sweet and with headroom to spare. I think this combination can all you to coax any kind of emotion from the music you play. It is sweet when played fingerstyle, handles strumming...whatever you want the guitar to do, it will do.
No pressure at all, Mike! Building a guitar with a great set of Macassar and primo Sinker Redwood top is almost like cheating! That combination is a personal favorite, for both brilliant sound and ravishing good looks. I'm really looking forward eagerly to making this guitar for you.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
No pressure at all, Mike! Building a guitar with a great set of Macassar and primo Sinker Redwood top is almost like cheating! That combination is a personal favorite, for both brilliant sound and ravishing good looks. I'm really looking forward eagerly to making this guitar for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post

I can't speak to the Macassar / Sinker Redwood combo, but I absolutely trust Steve's experience and wisdom. I can speak to the Macassar / Adi combo as Steve built me one five years ago. It continues to mature and develop a complexity of voice that is almost difficult to explain as it "sounds" so varied depending on the style of play. It has a rich and full voice just played with a normal touch. A light and individually plucked attack coaxes out very crisp and clear notes up and down the fretboard with no sacrifice of volume no matter how heavy or light the attack. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have not found the ceiling for the headroom of this guitar...truly it seems, no limit to its volume and projection and still clarity and definition of every note for every chord. A wondrous and amazing instrument.

I'm sure, Mike, that if Steve says the Sinker RW will yield marvelous results, you are in for a treat. I can't wait for your build to be shared here.

And...I'm about to take delivery on the completion of one of Steve's latest builds, my Spirit Guitar built with Ziricote and Adi, another fine combo!

jb
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop