The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

What an incredible set of woods--this should be a fantastic build. Congrats, Daveac!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:15 PM

Default It will be magical, to be sure!

It will be magical, to be sure! Steve and Ryan retopped an Ovation classical covered in a previous thread…” New Larry Robinson Inlay...impressive!” And not only is the top outstanding (esp in the hands of these builders) but it also, as a side benefit, smells great! So as soon as it comes out of the case each time, you'll take a long, pleasant smell, for years to come!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 02-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Killer looks, good smell, great tone (which is a given). What more can you ask for?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 PM

Default Welcome to the club

I just saw the lead in about repeat customers. There are so many great luthiers today, yet Steve and Ryan make guitars that are in a very unique niche of top of the line tone, workmanship, knowledge, service, and fair value. I have been lucky to own some of the very best guitars out there, and yet I knew almost from my first strum, that my first Kinnaird, at least for me, was the best that I had ever played. I eventually decided, I am done, I won't need to buy another guitar. And then a couple of years later, well...I decided to have Steve and Ryan build me a second one with several features that I had never experienced before, which was a calculated risk. I admit to having high expectations, at times bordering on unrealistic, for tone and intonation. Well the build has far surpassed what I had thought even possible! I don't want to leaved anyone with the impression that they are perfect, as they certainly have one thing remaining to improve upon. I would like some day to build my third Kinnaird, but they did far too good a job with the first two, so I have no idea what could improve on the first two! BUT, you know I have always wondered what Port Orford Cedar would sound like...
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, Steve and Ryan, here you go again with ANOTHER insanely beautiful creation! Don't you guys ever do anything boring and ordinary? Sorry, dumb question. Your guitars are ALWAYS the Plus Ultra.

The Ziricote is fantastic. The figure is surreal! And a Port Orford top- that's an inspired pairing of woods. Not a lot of people know it, but Port Orford Cedar (actually a species of Cypress) is a phenomenally great top wood. I've found it has all the richness, tone color, and character of a primo Red Cedar or Redwood, but with the great dynamic range, volume, and clarity that you get with a good set of Adirondack.
So I'm sure the Ziri and POC will complement each other brilliantly.

The only trouble I have with Port Orford Cedar is, the scent it gives off is so spicy and captivating, I can't get much work done. The aroma gets me high as a kite, and I just want to roll around on the floor like a cat who's stoned on catnip.

Have fun, guys, and know your limits!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 02-04-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys, you're making us blush! Like Ryan said, we really appreciate the love.

We weren't sure if this crazy Ziricote would want to comply with our bending efforts. But it behaved just fine, giving off its own unique dill pickle aroma:

That pic^ , of the wetted side, gives an idea of finished appearance. Next, we "cook" the sides on this heated form to further impose our will on that slat of wood:

And moving quickly, Ryan got the sides in mold, blocks glued in, and Spanish Cedar linings installed. Dave is going to be living in olfactory overload:

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you enjoy the build!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
... Not a lot of people know it, but Port Orford Cedar (actually a species of Cypress) is a phenomenally great top wood. I've found it has all the richness, tone color, and character of a primo Red Cedar or Redwood, but with the great dynamic range, volume, and clarity that you get with a good set of Adirondack.
So I'm sure the Ziri and POC will complement each other brilliantly.

The only trouble I have with Port Orford Cedar is, the scent it gives off is so spicy and captivating, I can't get much work done. The aroma gets me high as a kite, and I just want to roll around on the floor like a cat who's stoned on catnip.
Steve, we appreciate your input on POC. We have found it to be as you so well describe. And as for the aroma--I told Ryan I want to be buried in a POC casket.
He began sourcing lumber suppliers immediately.
Should I be worried...?

Steve

Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Steve, we appreciate your input on POC. We have found it to be as you so well describe. And as for the aroma--I told Ryan I want to be buried in a POC casket.
He began sourcing lumber suppliers immediately.
Should I be worried...?

Steve
Man, I wish this Forum would give us a "like" button. Thumbs up, LOL! By the way, tell Ryan to get in touch with me. I know someone out in Washington who sometimes has straight, clear POC lumber in dimensions that would be just right for an old-time buryin' box.
No, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 02-04-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice!

What a beautiful set of woods.

Reverse kerfed linings, or how would it be better phrased? Live and learn...

This is going to be drool city...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Default Correction

I just wan't to apologize for a very poor choice of words implying that Steve and Ryan needed to "improve on something' in my post yesterday. Looking at it a second time, I can now see that it was was a very poor attempt at humor that could easily be taken the wrong way.
For the record, they have extraordinary knowledge, dedication, and customer service. They were always sensitive to even the tiniest of details via emails during the build and exceeded my high expectations. It truly doesn't get any better than that!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklm View Post
I just wan't to apologize for a very poor choice of words implying that Steve and Ryan needed to "improve on something' in my post yesterday. Looking at it a second time, I can now see that it was was a very poor attempt at humor that could easily be taken the wrong way.
For the record, they have extraordinary knowledge, dedication, and customer service. They were always sensitive to even the tiniest of details via emails during the build and exceeded my high expectations. It truly doesn't get any better than that!
No worries I am sure....my take on your post was humor and that you were implying you want them to continue to improve on what is already perfection so that your third build would exceed your already fantastic first two!!!!

I feel I am perfect as I am, but Kathy seems to imply that I can always get better in some way....I don't see it, but I have to respect her opinion I guess...just another way to prove I am perfect
Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 AM

That ziricote reminds me of when I was bored in school (which was a lot of the time) and I would start doodling in the corner of my notebook...I swear I drew the same patterns as in the back set.

I have said it before, but how the heck does a tree grow like that and be straight!!!! It is going to look phenomenal with finish, there will be no words. I am anxious to see what adornments will be used to signify the people you want to have embodied in the guitar!!! With my Kinnaird commission, I struggled the most with that part going from at first wanting a full fretboard inlay to just something on the 12th fret, to the final product which grew out of the design of the rosette that Steve and Ryan came up with. It is fantastic, but I think I may be responsible for a few of the gray hairs one might see in some pics!!!! sorry fellas.....still LOVE my Kinnaird.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Default The marklm 'double-take'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklm View Post
Your apology and correction is both appreciated by us all (those with Kinnaird guitars) and unnecessary...I will admit doing a double-take, before rolling on the floor laughing when i first read it!

Weird in written posts, not being about to get the subtle humor we get readily in conversation...so i've been caught the same way, I'm afraid.

I think, tho, that we need a club here with strict requirements on what we say and don't say, tho. All this bragging on Steve and Ryan - them personally and the unbelievable guitars they produce - is only going to someday make them actually believe it. And when that happens (along with the years-long waiting lists to surely ensue), we'll find a) their prices go up (to where they should be) and b) we'll have to get to the end of the queue.

So can I hear it guys? No more promoting...a little more feigned criticism (we club member'll know the truth and it'll ward off prospective buyers)...what do you say? And i promise to say NOTHING about the mango thread alongside this one...being my 10th Kinnaird guitar. And please don't anyone tell my wife!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 02-05-2016, 11:15 AM

I don't know which I like better, the beauty of the guitars or these guys' sense of humor. Kinnaird threads are always entertaining.

No question though, really. Drool worthy guitars, without exception.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Man, I wish this Forum would give us a "like" button. Thumbs up, LOL! By the way, tell Ryan to get in touch with me. I know someone out in Washington who sometimes has straight, clear POC lumber in dimensions that would be just right for an old-time buryin' box.
No, I don't think you have anything to worry about!
I dunno Steve. Ryan has a different gleam in his eye. A bit unsettling...

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop