The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-04-2016, 04:48 AM

Default Mastering recordings

I am doing some recording and will eventually have a CD that needs mastering...can anyone tell me how mastering affects a recording...this is all finger style celtic style music. The CD, when completed will not be for sale, I will have a lot of copies to give away...I am not a professional musician and don't want to be...just want to create the best sounding CD I can...kind of a "legacy" or something like that. I am recording in a professional studio with Raymond Gonzales...who is a professional musician and has been recording for years.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Mastering serves three purposes for the recording:

1. The mastering engineer is a final pair of ears to listen to your product and detect any mistakes before the recording is set in stone.
2. The mastering phase is where what was recorded is adjusted to what is expected, ie. the expectations of the audience. If all albums in you genre right now have certain frequency response and compression signatures, a mastering engineer who is familiar with your genre will adjust your recording to expectations. If he is unable to, he can advise you how to adjust your recordings to allow him to do so. For example, if your recording engineer monitored on dull monitors and as a result created overly bright mixes, the mastering engineer can rein that in and give things a smoother sound.
3. Mastering technically prepares the recording so that it is ready for whatever delivery format you may be using. If you are going to make a CD, there is one set of final characteristics and metadata included in the final files. If you are going to issue a vinyl record, there are other audio qualities required. If you are issuing MP3s for download, there are other requirements. For example, a CD may handle dynamics well where vinyl can't and MP3s may be played in environments where you want even less dynamic range.

Does that help?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

For solo guitar, usually not much in the way of mastering needed, especially if your recordings are well done. Some post recording tweaks, such as use of reverb, are not IMO part of the mastering process. However if you are looking for someone to do this extra sort of thing (equalization, reverb, etc.) your recording engineer, Raymond Gonzales, may have some advice, though naturally likely you have already discussed that with him. An extra set of experienced ears never hurts.

You might post a clip from one of the tunes you plan to put on the CD.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM

The difference between mastered and un-mastered sound can be striking. My suggestion would be to send one song into a mastering service as an experiment. There are lots of them around.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Mastering serves three purposes for the recording:

1. The mastering engineer is a final pair of ears to listen to your product and detect any mistakes before the recording is set in stone.
2. The mastering phase is where what was recorded is adjusted to what is expected, ie. the expectations of the audience. If all albums in you genre right now have certain frequency response and compression signatures, a mastering engineer who is familiar with your genre will adjust your recording to expectations. If he is unable to, he can advise you how to adjust your recordings to allow him to do so. For example, if your recording engineer monitored on dull monitors and as a result created overly bright mixes, the mastering engineer can rein that in and give things a smoother sound.
3. Mastering technically prepares the recording so that it is ready for whatever delivery format you may be using. If you are going to make a CD, there is one set of final characteristics and metadata included in the final files. If you are going to issue a vinyl record, there are other audio qualities required. If you are issuing MP3s for download, there are other requirements. For example, a CD may handle dynamics well where vinyl can't and MP3s may be played in environments where you want even less dynamic range.

Does that help?

Bob
Heelps a lot ...thank you
Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Thanks all for the input...when I figure out how to post a clip I will do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD