The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Q&A with Greg Wells from Mix with the Masters

I like Greg Wells work attitude and insight
I found this 50 + minute Q&A interesting. Some of it applies more to multi track session mixing than say solo guitar but some good overall general recording and mixing insight.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting this. I watched the whole thing and found it to be quite depressing. He's in a whole different world than I am... I'd need about two million dollars to buy all the equipment he's talking about, and about 20 years to learn how to use it..... It reminds me of the line..."You spent HOW MUCH MONEY to make MP3's ??"

I'll stick with my simple home studio and Sonar Platinum.

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Thanks for posting this. I watched the whole thing and found it to be quite depressing. He's in a whole different world than I am... I'd need about two million dollars to buy all the equipment he's talking about, and about 20 years to learn how to use it..... It reminds me of the line..."You spent HOW MUCH MONEY to make MP3's ??"

I'll stick with my simple home studio and Sonar Platinum.

Yes in manner of speaking he operates in a different world. BUT No need to be depressed. His particular preferences for specific tools is just that, "his preference". The point is that the process and the concepts he is talking about (which was also good portion of his answers) are not related to specific gear. They can be applied and utilized with any DAW and any gear. You did get the part where he said he might use a Shure 57 , 58 or SM7 (all way less money then the Neumann you just bought) for the vocal if it served the singer and the song yes? And that a 57 was one of the two mics he used most for guitar cabs ?
As for the concepts they can all be applied with plugins, The high pass roll off on vocals at 50hz or 60 hz for example can be done with any plugin EQ with a high pass filter feature same for the slight boosting at 12k to 16 k for more air etc.

And BTW, while for the home hobbyist on a tight budget, the price category of the actual gear pieces he named as using is expensive no doubt , probably actually more like the 15 to 20 thousand dollar range . But for a professional who is "in the business)" actually a fairly modest business investment.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:21 PM

Yes I got the part about the 57...I also did a little research, his background includes 85 million records sold from many high profile artists such as Katy Perry, Adele etc...yes when you have the backing and the expensive gear at your reach, yes you should be able to make good sounding recordings.

Sorry but I don't have a two million dollar studio available to me. He was also talking Telefunken mics, Pultec eq's...huge mixing board...that's all big buck stuff.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I got the part about the 57...I also did a little research, his background includes 85 million records sold from many high profile artists such as Katy Perry, Adele etc...yes when you have the backing and the expensive gear at your reach, yes you should be able to make good sounding recordings.

Sorry but I don't have a two million dollar studio available to me. He was also talking Telefunken mics, Pultec eq's...huge mixing board...that's all big buck stuff.
You have it backwards. He is not good because of access to the artists or studio or gear. He has that access because he is good at what he does... AND Trust me the 85 million records sold are not simply because of the studio or the gear at his disposal .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:49 PM

Reminds me of another saying I heard..."You put a qualified engineer in a studio, any studio, and you'll get a decent mix. You put a monkey in the same studio, you'll get a mess. Are you an engineer or a monkey ??"

I'm sure he's good at what he does, he's working out of a fabulous studio in France.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

How bout we discuss the techniques he talked about as opposed to lamenting and gear envy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Well he really didn't say anything that was earthshattering.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well he really didn't say anything that was earthshattering.
earth shattering ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Don't know how richter it is, but I found the comment about recording the vocal with a roll off at 50 interesting. I have always recorded dry and done the EQ after. Something I will try when I get back to my studio in the fall

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Stick with a 58

Aloha Martin Maniac,

Kevwind did us all a great favor by sharing that Greg Wells piece. Instead of being depressed, I was energized by the shared techniques I have never considered & may now try - at my limited knowledge level - no matter how inferior my recording signal chain may be in relation to a seasoned pro's multi-million dollar studio.

From your pictures, IMO, no matter how organized & ready to go your rig is to you, your words & gear tell me that you might do better sticking to the SM58 side of the gear equation than the Neumann 102 side. I say this only because what I see in your pictures & hear of your purchases - none of it is really of the same quality as the 102 ( a good live mic but not quite a great recording mic).

Mixing & matching 58 & 102 level gear in a signal chain never works, IME - they should be at the same level of quality. Otherwise, you lose headroom, add noise, levels are different, among many other issues, IME. I mean the constricted "mid-range" onboard mic preamps on a Fast Track or lower level Focusrite Scarlett interface will never do a 102 justice, IME.

What IS disappointing is your response to what Kevwind has shared here. A brick wall of defensiveness. The fact that the gear is always better than ours should not matter. We can still learn from the pros, & also learn about gear we simply have not evolved to as yet. I hope you'll return to Kevwind's Wells piece & see what I mean.

All the best Martin Maniac. We share the same goal - trying to achieve more consistent & better recordings.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 07-31-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:42 PM

Well thanks for the scolding and insults. Now back to playing with my new mic that just arrived.....

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/tlm-sample
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 07-30-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well thanks for the scolding and insults. Now back to playing with my new mic that just arrived.....

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/tlm-sample
I don't think anyone was trying to insult you. Apologies if that is how it felt.
I think both AlohaChirs and were simply voicing counterpoint and objection to what appeared to be a dismissal of the value of the video and Wells expertise, beyond being simply a matter of having expensive gear.
If in your perception you found nothing valuable beyond the price of gear, then lets just agree to say we all have different perceptions, and let it go at that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-30-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Well all I got out of that video was to tweak the eq a little on vocals...the guy spent an hour jabbering on about nothing of substance that I could use. sorry.

Being told to go back to 58's and leave Neumanns alone sounds like an insult to me. I was kind enough to show pics of my studio and get put down for it. that's okay, I've taken down the pics and no one will see them again.

Now back to working with my Neumann and D-35...

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/d-35-neumann-mic
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-31-2016, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Actually there was a fair bit more insight than simply "tweaking the EQ on vocals " but hey, to each their their own.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD