The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM

Well I just added to the clutter last night, by buying a Focusrite 18i8 interface for enabling me to record more inputs at one time. I like the idea of having two mics on a guitar and one mic for vocals... or two inputs for my synths and one for vocals...having three channels to work with sounds great to me.

In the event someone comes over to jam, having 4 inputs is ideal...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well I just added to the clutter last night, by buying a Focusrite 18i8 interface for enabling me to record more inputs at one time. I like the idea of having two mics on a guitar and one mic for vocals... or two inputs for my synths and one for vocals...having three channels to work with sounds great to me.

I've thought about something with more channels than my little 2i2. If I ever get to where I'm trying to make "good" recordings vs. just listening to songs objectively, I'll probably go that route.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Well right now I have two tracks I can record with on my M-Track interface. Having 3 or 4 tracks is VERY appealing to me. The 18i8 has lots of nice features to it...two adjustable headphone outputs, studio monitor output, meters on each of the 4 mic inputs, . It's a definite step up for my studio.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Just so we are clear, to my mind having gear and having it set up ready to go is not clutter . The two concepts have no relationship to each other.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-29-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM

I look at the picture of my studio and practice rig, and it looks like clutter to me. HOWEVER, it's all set up and ready to go at a moment's notice. If I feel like learning or practicing a song, it's no problem to grab a guitar and go. If I feel like making a recording, just open up Sonar and go. Easy peasy.

Now that I'm into recording the guitar in stereo, having that third channel for vocals will be fantastic. What this means to me is that I can get a great stereo guitar recording and record my vocals at the same time. Not only is this good for recording me, but for recording others as well. I have a couple of friends who play guitar and sing really well, this setup will be perfect for recording them.

This setup will also work very well for recording my synths and sound modules and vocals thru the line inputs on the 18i8. This opens up a huge world of possibilities.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I look at the picture of my studio and practice rig, and it looks like clutter to me. HOWEVER, it's all set up and ready to go at a moment's notice.
I would think the "HOWEVER" indicates we agree on there being a difference in the two concepts. Or that is two say that one is not the requisite for the other. But it is certainly not worth quibbling about.

I think you will indeed find the 18i8 will add possibilities and versatility. One thing to remember about recording guitar and vocal at the same time is, because of bleed, it does make it a bit harder to get clarity of distinction between the git and the voice. Which is neither automatically good nor bad and depends on the kind of overall sound you are going for , it is simply a factor .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 PM

Yes I know there will be some bleed, but at least now I'll someplace to plug the vocal mic in while recording the guitar in stereo. Currently I only have two inputs for recording, having the extra inputs of the 18i8 will be a great help....

I used to have an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card but when I got my new computer it didn't have a PCI slot for it, so I ended up selling it. I really miss having all those inputs to work with, so the 18i8 will restore those capabilities I used to have.

Yay !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Well the Neumann TLM 102 just arrived...I did my first sample recording with it to see how it sounds....It's surprisingly mellow. It sounds very good compared to my other mics...here's a sample...

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/tlm-sample
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 05:24 PM

I've been comparing the sound sample of the Neumann mic to my other mics for the last hour or two...It's crystal clear, has a nice sweet tone to it. None of the other mics come close to it. Am I happy I bought it ?? It's much more than I hoped for. The other mics seem to jam up the notes of my guitar playing, the 102 shows separation between the notes giving a much more distinct sound to it. Much better, but you may not hear it unless you do a side by side A/B sound test. I thought the Baby Bottle mic sounded good, but after doing the side by side test, the Neumann smokes it. It just sounds so much better. The Neumann is my best sounding mic, and will be my "go to" mic.

The MXL shock mount worked perfectly for the 102 mic. Fit like a glove.

The Focusrite 18i8 is scheduled for delivery on Monday afternoon.

Everything is coming together nicely.

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Okay, here's sound sample of my D-35 recorded with just the Neumann TLM 102 mic.....

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/d-35-neumann-mic
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-01-2016, 03:53 PM

I received the Focusrite 18i8 today. I just got done checking her out....At first it was giving me some grief but as it turned out it was a ASIO driver issue in Sonar that wasn't set right....now that it's set right, it works like a charm. All inputs and outputs show up like they are supposed to. My mic tests sound very good. I had to download the Scarlett Mix Control Software, and I watched a few video's about it I found on You Tube, so it was a breeze to get it up and running. I'm thrilled with it !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Sonar doesn't seem to like ASIO, it was working well for a little bit but now it's acting up. Soooo as an alternative I tried it in Adobe's Audition....works great first try.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-01-2016, 08:29 PM

Here's a sample recording of the JP-8000 synth>Focusrite 18i8>Audition.

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/j...focusrite-18i8
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Just a comment; Sonar is the only DAW I paid a LOT of money for and never could get it to work reliably on any of three different computers. Their tech help was virtually no help. I might as well have flushed my $170 down the toilet. Needless to say, I run the other way any time I see the Calkwalk label.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 PM

Well Sonar works well for me when I use the MME drivers. ASIO ?? Forget about it. The Focusrite 18i8 requires ASIO drivers to work right. Thankfully I have a full version of Adobe's Audition that works great with ASIO and the Focusrite 18i8. I did many tests with the 18i8 and Audition and it worked flawlessly. I even tried doing overdubbing to see if latency would be a problem ...nope !!

SOOOO it looks like I'll be using Audition for my multi-track recordings, which is fine with me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD