The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Default Recording acoustics: mic or pickup?

Hi,

I'm fairly new here and got some probably very basic questions that are maybe already answered somewhere here. If so, please show me the way.

How do pro musicians record their acoustics: always with a mic in front of the guitar or with a pick-up and a lead too?

When using a pick-up, does the size of the body and the used woods still play a big role in the sound?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Both ways. Whatever sound you are after more or less dictates, although philosophically I have issues with a plugged in acoustic guitar even though the sound can be fine.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM

The third option - multiple mics.
There is no one answer that is right for everyone. The mics, room you record in (acoustically treated?), guitar and playing style/ability all are part of the equation. Also if this is just a solo guitar, or will have vocals, or be multitracked with other guitars and instruments.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM

In my last recording project (acoustic duo) the singing guitarist had a Martin OM-28e Retro ... nice pickup. I used a LDC on the guitar, and took a line from the pickup also. When I mixed the tracks I used one or the other or both.

I could have used stereo mic'ing on the guitar with two SDC's in X-Y configuration, or even used mid-side technique. There's no one "right way" to do it.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Thank you guys.

And what do you think of body size and wood?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Go with whatever inspires you most..
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 07-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Use a guitar you like the sound of (acoustically) then figure out how to capture that sound n a recording!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 PM

Thanx. What I meant was:

When using a pick-up when recording an acoustic, does the size of the body and the used woods still play a big role in the sound?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 PM

It's really tough when you are getting into recording because there are so many variables and it's hard to see what's most important. You learn the most when you just sit down and experiment. Play with mic position for a day. Try the pickup. Try the pickup through an amp or preamp. Try recording in different rooms. Pick closer to the neck or closer to the bridge. Experiment a lot and listen back to compare.

Depending on the pickup, the woods and body size will likely have an effect on the recording. Undersaddle pickups and magnetic soundhole pickups won't respond as much to the woods and body size as a Soundboard pickup or internal mic will.

What are you trying to accomplish with your recording? What sort of sound or tone are you going for?

I just did this video and it was recorded with a $200 Zoom H4n in front of the speaker that had my guitar coming out of it. I think it turned out amazingly well. The guitar sound was from a K&K pickup, internal DPA mic, and a MiSi magnetic soundhole pickup all blended and processed through a computer. It's not necessarily a common recording technique but for this it worked great.

Last edited by David Youngman; 07-08-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I always, always prefer mics on recorded acoustic guitar.

-Mike
Old 07-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guild272 View Post
Thanx. What I meant was:

When using a pick-up when recording an acoustic, does the size of the body and the used woods still play a big role in the sound?
First just to sort of clarify (because terms like "big role" can be very subjective)

Yes everything both physical i.e. the woods, body shape, size, the room, the playing style etc.... as well as all the electronics involved from source to output, will effect and thus play a role in the recorded sound. This is true with both pic up and mic'ing

And yes specifically the tone of the guitar ( shaped by the woods used , body shape and size) whether through a pic up or mic'ed..... will effect the sound. How a "big a role" that plays is honestly and ultimately determined by personal perspective and expectations.

Being new to recording that question is probably at the bottom of list of things to focus on. Because as has been said many times, when recording arguably the two most important things to focus on are the playing (how cleanly done) and the performance. Everything else is a matter of learning the craft and developing experience informed preferences ( which unfolds over time). There are no shortcuts around this "truism of recording"

So focus on playing and performance and just start recording.
What recording tends to do is highlight (much more so than just playing live) all the aspects of your playing good and bad (unfortunately including string/fret buzz and finger squeaks ect. ) for example.

And it also tends to highlight performance, as in how much emotion, honesty, feel and style, or lack there of is present

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD