The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Opposite of bright

Opposite of bright. ... Martin
Old 04-12-2008, 03:59 PM

I agree with those who have suggested a rosewood Martin.
It was the first thing that came to my mind.
If you don't have a lot of money, consider a used OM-21.
They can be had for about $1100 if you shop around.
If you want something about as good for less money, look for a used
all solid wood, rosewood and spruce, Tacoma Parlor (PR-12). More of a deep bodied OM than a true Parlor size. Tune it down a half step and use medium gauge, phosphor bronze strings.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmike View Post
i don't think its a "folly" to recommend a specific guitar. I think recommending a specific guitar might actually be a good way to help this guy out.
Well, okay, I apologize ... Probably "folly" is too strong a word. "Useless" would be better, probably, since I'd challenge anyone here to predict what someone else is going to like in a guitar, even when they express a preference. And I think that applies to people who are experienced. There are just too many variables and personal tastes and inaccuracies in language.

Case in point: I thought I would love the GS5 because I really like my GC5. I was wrong ... I still like the GC5 but didn't care for the tone of the GS5 -- both the same woods, and the GS5 reputed to have a stonger bass and more balance .. but not this one, compared to my GC5.

It's all just too subjective and dependent on the individual guitar the person is playing.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Wow, I really did not expect so many responses (and such good responses). I suppose this is likely both a guitar and string issue. About technique, I do play with my fingers (and keep my nails cut very short).. no fingernails, thumbpicks or anything like that. Just fingers on strings.

I was most surprised when someone mentioned baritone acoustic guitars. I really thought baritones existed exclusively as electric guitars but knowing there are baritone acoustics has really piqued my curiosity. Could anyone recommend certain brands who produce good baritone acoustic guitars?

I agree I'll only know what I want once I sit down in the store and test some of these out, but I mainly wanted some help in narrowing down my selection so I go in knowing somewhat what I'm looking for.

Right now I've got it down to this:
Cedar or mahogany top
Rosewood or mahogany sides and back
tusq or bone saddle
thick/wide neck

I dreaded hearing Martin was the answer to this, even though it was what I suspected. I only dread it due to the price. The Guild GAD 25 looks good but I will admit the general look and aesthetic is a factor in what I want and this particular model looks like it's wrapped in woodgrain wallpaper - aside from that, it looks ideal.. at least the specs. Ultimately, I need to test one out for myself.

I see so many Martins that look good to me, everything except for the price tag. I really would like to keep things under 800 at the tops.

A few more questions: Does the Seagull S6 have a wide neck? What about the Guild GAD-30R? I'll be heading to some of the music shops tomorrow and will be looking at the lower end Martins, Epiphone Masterbilts, Guilds and Seagull. Also, what is the difference between a Dreadnaught, a Concert and an Auditorium? Are Concert/Auditorium/Orchestra acoustics one in the same? What sets them apart?

I really appreciate all the responses here.. I definitely have a better idea of what I need to be looking for. Many, many thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouris View Post
...I dreaded hearing Martin was the answer to this, even though it was what I suspected. I only dread it due to the price.
Martin is not necessarily the answer to the situation. Likely the top wood, and the strings are the answer, and it may be Martin, Gibson, or Smith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouris View Post
A few more questions:
...Does the Seagull S6 have a wide neck?
...What about the Guild GAD-30R?
...Also, what is the difference between a Dreadnaught, a Concert and an Auditorium? Are Concert/Auditorium/Orchestra acoustics one in the same?
...What sets them apart?
  • Seagulls have either spacings that are like a 1 11/16 (1.72'') or like a 1 3/4'' spacing (1.8'') The newer ones come with a thinner profile and width and the classic ones are the 1.8'' chunky neck.
  • Don't know about the GAD-30 - you need to find one and play it
  • The difference between all the guitars you listed is body size, and the manufacturer calls them whatever they like. Not all OMs are identical, nor are 00 or 000 from different compaines.

I think of sizes like this
Large
  • Dreadnaught
  • Jumbo

Medium Large
  • Mini-jumbo
  • Small jumbo (SJ)
  • Some Grand Concert (depends on the builder)

Small
  • Grand Concert (again - who built it?)
  • OM
  • Parlour

What sets all guitars apart is who built them, and how well they sound, and play.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-12-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 AM

Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Hmmm... then how do explain that most jazz guitarists play maple body guitars? According to you, they should should all be playing cedar and rosewood.
The body wood affects overtones and such, slightly, but the strings and player's technique are what makes it "bright" or not. Play your cedar/rosewood guitar with a thin pick and 80/20 strings. It won't be warm.
Yes, you are correct. Playing the cedar/rosewood with a thin pick will make it sound brighter. But you're missing the point. My point is that the cedar/rosewood will not be as bright as a hog/spruce played with a thin pick. Again, that is a general statement, assuming all other parts being equal. If the OP is looking for a sound that's opposite of "bright" I don't think it's good advice to steer him toward hog/spruce and tell him to learn to play it in a manner that will make it sound less bright. Why not start out with a less bright guitar to start with. I am well aware that different techniques will affect a guitars sound. But there are sound qualities that are definitely inherent in certain wood combinations.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 AM

I didn't read all the threads, so I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but try a Lowden "O" or "F" series with a cedar top. I have a Lowden F25C, and it's the darkest sounding guitar I've ever played, especially the highs. I also have a Martin, and consider it to be a warm, rather than a dark sound. That sound, by the way, is achieved by using medium strings.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM

oh, crap, i almost forgot...

opposite of birght: Gibson Advanced Jumbo!

how coud i let this bass cannon slip my mind. the king of the acoustic guitar itself....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Yes, the GAD30 has the wide neck. I bought it because I was also looking for that "not bright" sound. Unfortunatley, you may find the bass to be lacking compared to a dreadnought sized guitar, the GAD30 is an OM size.

I've always thought most Gibsons I've played were pretty flat sounding, but it may be exactly the sound you're looking for. A little pricey, though.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Martin guitars will give you more of a mellow tone, but most martins under $2000 aren't great. On the other hand, Larrivee has great sounding guitars. they are balance and the bass can be heard strongly. also larrivee are easier on the wallet. Most larrivee are fingerstyling guitars. here's a link to my guitar FS:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...light=larrivee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion