The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Upgrading my laptop

Hello all

I have been recording my songs (ac. guitar/vocal) with a Zoom H2. Since I now got the chance to use my old work laptop as a dedicated music computer I plan to make multi track recordings and add virtual instruments. For this purpose I thought I could upgrade it and would like to ask for the opinions of experts here.

The laptop is a Dell System XPS L502X with i7-2670QM (2.2 Ghz), 8 GB RAM and a HDD with 7200 rpm. A friend of mine adviced me to put a second drive (SSD, preferably Samsung 850 Pro) and add 8 GB RAM. I should put the OS and DAW and virtual instruments on the SSD and the data on the HDD.

Another option would be to put OS and DAW on the SDD and the virtual instruments on an external SSD connected through USB 3 he said.

What do you think? Which RAM (2x8 GB) would you reccomend?
Thank you for your responses
Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

16 GB of RAM should be good. The 7200 rpm is also good. What is your operating system?

Having an SSD with the OS and DAW running separately from the data/files stored on another HD is always a good idea. That way upgrades, OS crashes, and general system failures/maintenance/recoveries don't affect your files. It's also a good idea to run a back-up to an external drive or some other external process.

I've not had any experiences running virtual instruments from a separate SSD drive. My concern would be latency (but USB 3 will likely resolve that, in addition to a sufficiently large buffer) and possibly mis-matches if you upgrade your DAW or OS but not the secondary drive.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Thank you for your reply. OS is Win 7 Home 64 and I plan to keep it. After a bad experience I always make 2 backups of my files on a daily basis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD