The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Please suggest videos for intro to bluegrass

I've been playing 50+ years, mostly in the style of James Taylor and Neil Young.
I've always admired bluegrass flat picking, but for some reason haven't learned any.
While I'm quite proficient and can sound very close to James Taylor's subtle but sophisticated style, I've learned that doesn't necessarily translate to different types of music that require a different feeling.
I took a stab at playing blues, but I just didn't have the soul (or whatever you'd call it) for the blues.
I suspect I'll be able to flatpick a bit.

I took piano lessons for years and teach guitar so I know an important function of a teacher is picking just the right material for your level.
Not too easy, not too hard, and something that has level-appropriate lessons on technique.

For you folks to play bluegrass please post some links to get me started learning bluegrass style, with or without vocals.
I've got a good ear for playing by ear, so it doesn't have to show the hands, but that would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 PM

Look on YouTube for Tony Rice and Norman Blake videos.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Guest 1928

Search these on YouTube.

Tony Rice
JD Crowe
Hot Rize
Johnson Mountain Boys
Seldom Scene
Jimmy Martin
Lonesome River Band

...and of course, Bill Monroe, the father of it all...

There are plenty of others, but that ought to give a intro into traditional and newer Bluegrass.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I just started with Bluegrass also. A few members pointed me to Ryan Kimm. He has a website where he sells song lessons, licks etc. Typical price is approx $8 for video and tab. Downloaded content. I miss flat picking and doing some bluegrass stuff a couple days a week is good for me.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 11-23-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Look up Banjo Ben Clark on YouTube. He does banjo, mandolin, and guitar videos.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 PM

ArtistWorks - - Bryan Sutton's school of bluegrass guitar. A large library of exercises and fiddle tunes from beginner to advanced levels by Bryan. You can submit videos to Bryan, & he will review them & make comments & suggestions. His reviews are typically turned around within a week and are fairly in depth - most responses run from 10-20 minutes. You also have access to all videos submitted by others as well as Bryan's response to them.

They will be running a Black Friday sale tomorrow on 12 month subscriptions and usually offer a pretty deep discount at Christmastime as well.

I have used the site for two years & it is a very good way to develop flat picking skills.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol46 View Post
ArtistWorks - - Bryan Sutton's school of bluegrass guitar. A large library of exercises and fiddle tunes from beginner to advanced levels by Bryan. You can submit videos to Bryan, & he will review them & make comments & suggestions. His reviews are typically turned around within a week and are fairly in depth - most responses run from 10-20 minutes. You also have access to all videos submitted by others as well as Bryan's response to them.

They will be running a Black Friday sale tomorrow on 12 month subscriptions and usually offer a pretty deep discount at Christmastime as well.

I have used the site for two years & it is a very good way to develop flat picking skills.
Bryan is an excellent teacher. I would also recommend him.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Search these on YouTube.

Tony Rice
JD Crowe
Hot Rize
Johnson Mountain Boys
Seldom Scene
Jimmy Martin
Lonesome River Band

...and of course, Bill Monroe, the father of it all...

There are plenty of others, but that ought to give a intro into traditional and newer Bluegrass.
+1 to all of the above recommendations. I especially like the Seldom Scene . . . but I'm biased because I used to play guitar with John Starling when we were both stationed at Fort Bragg . . . back in the early 70's.

Add The Country Gentlemen to the list. (Fox On the Run) They were one of my favorite groups back in the day.

Also check out Chris Hillman and the Desert Rose Band. Strictly speaking, I never thought of the Desert Rose Band as a "real" bluegrass band but they have put out some good songs that were covered by other bluegrass bands. ("Wait a Minute" which was played by The Seldom Scene is one example.)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:57 AM

I have a True Fire course I had slowly been working on before stepping on a few landmines at work. FYI, they have a sale going on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion