The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 PM

A bevel on the lower bout can really improve comfort for the right arm. I have an OM sized guitar with a bevel, and a jumbo that has rounded sides because of its specific construction (Micheletti). Neither are dreads (of course) but they are very comfortable and easy on the right arm.
I googled around a little and found a company - Wide Sky Guitars that makes an interesting Dread with a bevel. Looks like a few Taylor dreads may have them as well. I am sure there are others.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 AM

I have an R. Taylor style 3. It is a dread with a bevel. I have no shoulder pain when I play it. I think it helps in the comfort department over my Taylor dread. It may be a solution where you get the best if both worlds.

Common sense says if you play a lot: take frequent breaks, stretch and warm-up, play in an ergonomically sound position.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 AM

How about playing the guitar in the classical position on your left knee (if you are right handed)? That works for me and I have a busted shoulder, though it may cause you to get funny looks during the flatpicking competition!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:27 AM

Gitarro nailed it- in the "classical" position your shoulders are straight breathing is not constricted the spine is straight- guitar yoga.
I hear my guitar better, more fully in this position. I occasionally try to do the common "perched on thigh" position and quit after a few seconds.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 AM

Default shoulder

Aspercreme Works wonders

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion