The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Handheld recorders with digital input?

Hello. I am interested in getting a handheld recorder with a digital input. Could be AES, Spdif, optical or coax. Doesn't really matter as long as I can record to it via the digital input. I want this so I can use it stand alone when need be, but also be able to bypass the mics, pres, and converters by using it with my own front end gear which I expect to produce better results. So far I have found:

Sony PCM D-100. This should do it, but there are no xlr inputs for external mics. I don't like that, and it's expensive, so it's out.

Tascam DR-100 mk2 and mk3 These should also do it, but I'm wondering if there are any other options?

Is anyone else doing this? What are some other handheld recorders with a digital input?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Wink

The Zoom products are perfect for this. The Zoom 4Hn, 5Hn, or like I have, the Q8 which also has video. These have 4 channel audio, 2 built in mics as well as 2 xlr inputs for external. They provide phantom power, & are very affordable as well.
Steve
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM

I have an H5 and love it, but unfortunately these don’t offer digital inputs.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
..... Correct. They only have the xlr inputs.
Steve
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM

I've got a Tascam Dr-100 MkIII and it's an excellent, well thought out piece of equipment, though I've never used the digital input so I can't help there.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM

Not exactly what your asking for (and possibly more than you want to spend): look at the SoundDevices MixPre offerings. Everything you want in a standalone recorder with the ability to use it with a computer for more complex recordings. The pres on these boxes are insanely good.

The caveat: you'll need to invest in a couple of good mics as well. They do not have built in mics.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...xpre&Go=Search

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
So ya, as a standalone digital signal recorder, it isn't going to happen with the H5. The H5 does have something that's called loopback IIRC. I'm still pretty confused about how a it works but i think that you would input your digital signal to the computer and and loop it back to the H5 from your DAW software.

If you are doing that though, it would make more sense to just use the H5 as an audio interface to the DAW through USB and for digital signals such as a MIDI keyboard controller or control surface input them as well to the DAW software on the computer.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 01-18-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 AM

What digital signals do you want to record? It is my understanding that the ADC's in the H5 are actually very good.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I want this so I can use it stand alone when need be, but also be able to bypass the mics, pres, and converters by using it with my own front end gear which I expect to produce better results.
What's your present front end gear?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Hello. I am interested in getting a handheld recorder with a digital input. Could be AES, Spdif, optical or coax. Doesn't really matter as long as I can record to it via the digital input. I want this so I can use it stand alone when need be, but also be able to bypass the mics, pres, and converters by using it with my own front end gear which I expect to produce better results. So far I have found:

Sony PCM D-100. This should do it, but there are no xlr inputs for external mics. I don't like that, and it's expensive, so it's out.

Tascam DR-100 mk2 and mk3 These should also do it, but I'm wondering if there are any other options?

Is anyone else doing this? What are some other handheld recorders with a digital input?
You might find that what you are wanting is not so typical. It may be more practical, better workflow, and maybe cheaper, to have two units: a handheld portable recorder as well as an audio interface. If you've got a good front end that you want to use all your interface is needing to do is get it to the computer via usb. You could get a pretty inexpensive audio interface since you aren't concerned about preamp or adc features/quality.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
What's your present front end gear?

Regards,

Ty Ford
The plan is is to find satisfying acoustic spaces, and have a reasonably transportable and good sounding rig for fingerstyle guitar.
Most often I would choose my Lavry AD11. Very neutral pres and Lavry conversion. I have mics from Beyer, Gene Lawson and some Audio Technica to choose from. I am familiar with this gear, it's paid for, and I am satisfied with the sound so I want to use it. The question becomes the recording device.

One option is a portable computer. I have done it with a laptop via usb. The problem is noise. Condensers in close proximity to computer fans is not ideal.
I have considered the Microsoft surface pro now that they have a fanless unit powerful enough to run my preferred daw (samplitude). Info about any other silent pc options would be of interest.

Then there is the handheld recorder option. If there is a digital input it should work. I can bypass the onboard mics and pres, but still have the handheld for other uses.

Ideally, there would be a a small box that records to sd cards, with a selection of digital I/O, adjustable input level, playback capability and that's it. But it seems this does not exist.

Now of course, the main challenge with this will always be to obtain great tracks with poor monitoring. Whatever I get, I will have to monitor through the onboard DA and headhone amp through cans. Despite this serious shortcoming I believe it's a concept worth pursuing.
I appreciate all the replies.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You might find that what you are wanting is not so typical. It may be more practical, better workflow, and maybe cheaper, to have two units: a handheld portable recorder as well as an audio interface. If you've got a good front end that you want to use all your interface is needing to do is get it to the computer via usb. You could get a pretty inexpensive audio interface since you aren't concerned about preamp or adc features/quality.
Agreed, it's not typical. I have a complete setup at home. I just want to take my front end into the field but leave the computers at home.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
What digital signals do you want to record? It is my understanding that the ADC's in the H5 are actually very good.
I wish to record the digital output of a Lavry AD11.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmorgan View Post
I've got a Tascam Dr-100 MkIII and it's an excellent, well thought out piece of equipment, though I've never used the digital input so I can't help there.
So far this is the leading contender. However, I see no mention of anyone using the digital in anywhere, and no info even in the manual beyond the mention of the port. I hope to find someone who has done it and can report.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM

If you're using Lavry converters, then, yes, there's a proper solution - A Sound Devices 702T. It has an AES/EBU input on XLR.

Not sure about the adjustable input levels.

Here: https://bhpho.to/2DNzzaj

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD