The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 12:22 AM

Question How to orgnaize an open mic

I'm Italian and in Italy is hard to find an open mic nights. I want to organize one and I need to know what 'material' I need.
This is the materials I think i need:
2 mic
Mixer
Acoustic amp (wired to mixer)
Electric amp (wired to mixer)
Speaker
Monitor
Acoustic guitar
Need other stuff?
And the bigger question: who play in open mic? Only guitarist, singers, piano?
I have to stay in mixer for every performance? How many time a person on stage? 10/15 min? No sound check?
Sorry my many question but I like to know how you made open mic in USA.
Thanks and sorry for my bad English.
Ciao
Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 AM

My favorite open mic is weekly and has been going 10 years

The host's equipment I can't speak to

The setup is first come first serve, but the host is willing to push people up or down on the list for nerves or timing issues. He always starts the set off first with his own acoustic "house guitar" which is available for people who don't bring their own gear to the show or for people who get talked into performing from friends during a few drinks.

This allows him to check his sound settings which he does by eyeballing friends in the crowd and nodding up and down. After that he controls EQ via a tablet and allows each player from 10-15 minutes each and personalizes their sound during their first song. If further adjustment is necessary we just ask!

He is the most personable, accommodating, and non-pressuring host I've ever met and has totally spoiled me on other hosts and events. If no one wants to play he will do the entire set himself. The flow of the shoes is organic and friends will walk in to see their friends playing and do a quick one together before drinks. Improv, keyboards, children doing nursery rhymes are all accommodated. I like this place. It's like adult show and tell.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 AM

The first ones I went to here in England were just sing-arounds with no amplification at all. People brought their own instruments or just sang unaccompanied (with prayers that the song did not have 43 verses!). The Irish sessions are still like this. If you know the song you join in, if you don't, you shut up...
With the more "formal" ones, there is usually a house PA of some sort (usually not too sophisticated) but folks bring their own guitars. You could have a "house" guitar,though, if you could afford it. Usually the instrumentation is limited to guitars but certain percussion instruments do turn up. But I wouldn't tollerate a full drum kit!.
Hope that helps a bit, being a bit nearer than our American friends.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

I think you have the equipment covered, all but the house guitar. More on that in a minute.
If this is a start up (New) open mic, consideration should be given to location. If you can find a venue that is easily accessible it would help bring in a crowd. Having to take multiple modes of public transport, or having to deal with parking and traffic are a deterrent. IMO.

Also, promotion should be a consideration. In addition to local publications as well as on line resources, flyers in musician populated areas (music stores and rehearsal spaces) would help spread the word.

Having a drink minimum and/or a door fee is always debatable. I find the better open mics do have a drink minimum at the very least.

In regards to a house guitar, if you are in an area that is a tourist Mecca this can be used as a promotion to get travelers to come to the venue. Does not have to be high end just well set up, has a pick up and sounds good.

Best of luck.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 AM

Default open mikes

The ones I attend are mostly held in churches, not that much music of a religious nature is done - the point being that they may not be representative of open mikes in general. Almost none of them use a monitor and minimal tweaking of the sound is usually all that we get. Nor is a guitar provided. Musicians bring their own (no electrics) or, sometimes, borrow a friend's.

The host introduces each act and, if he's any good, does what he can to generate enthusiasm about each one, additional applause, etc. Most of these open mikes allow 2-3 songs per performer and there is minimal setup for each, to save time and to keep things lively. The performers sign up ahead of time. In one venue , once a certain number of signups are reached, the songs they can perform go from 3 to 2 - so they can get everyone in who wants to perform. If not many folks sign up or the open mike lasts for a long time, performers are permitted to take second or even third turns. Performers are encouraged, subtlely, to stay through the evening and usually they do.

Poets and comedians are welcomed but not that common and a keyboard is sometimes provided for those that play piano. Most often just one person is performing, but sometimes a band will take the stage. If this happens, there may not be enough mikes to go around, but no one seems to worry about this overly much. A performer may also ask another to accompany him. It's all good.

Maybe others will chime in and point out how the open mikes they attend are different.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Guest4562

I run one and do it pretty much the way I have experienced them, i. e,. offering a PA and a place in the rotation. I have never encountered a "house guitar" and therefore don't offer one. The drink minimum etc is up to the house, not me. But everyone who attends buys at least a drink if not a meal, as do their supporters, so the house is satisfied.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM

I will sometimes be a stand in host when needed. Here is what I bring when I bring it all. Mixer, two powered speakers, floor monitor, two vocal mic, a mic'ed cajon, tambourine, a couple other small hand percussion instruments, white board for signups, a house guitar, my pedal board (mainly for my use), music stand, two instrument stands and some curtesy gear such as extra cables, a sound hole pickup, external preamp, batteries, extra cables, usb cable and pics. Sometimes I'll bring my laptop and offer to record the set and email it to the performer. My laptop plugs into my mixer.

The length of sets depends on how many signups there are and it always goes in order of the signup list, no call ins, text ins or favoritism. Around here the sets are usually about twenty minuets.

If I have enough forewarning that I'll be hosting, I will advertise in craigslist, in our local open mic forum, on Facebook and talk to friends to get them to show. "Build it and they will come" doesn't work without advertising. If you do advertise, make sure you have quality gear, a good stage setup, be fair, take time to visit with the participants, be attentive to the sound and be assertive when needed.

The miscellaneous low skill hand instrument I bring is mainly for the audience to participate with, that is if the performer is ok with it. I put them on a table in front of the stage.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-15-2017, 08:05 AM

Go for it. You have the right idea in terms of what you will need. Electric guitar amp may not be necessary depending on how you promote it. Find the right location and spread the word a couple weeks in advance. As others have said let them know that poetry, comedy, whatever is welcome. Obviously you play guitar so you probably know at least a few other people that do too. Get them on board to come out and help support it. Start out slow. First Tuesday of the month or every other week until it takes off. Hosting it every week could discourage the owners of the bar or whatever if you don't bring enough people in. Personally I wouldn't impose any kind of drink or meal minimum. Alcohol has subsidized the arts forever. Adjust according to the turnout as to how many songs or how much time one can play. You yourself should be prepared to play 10 songs if you need to. Again based on how many people show up. Play a couple songs and get someone else up there. if its a slow night do two or three two song sets of your own to fill the gaps. Don't work for free either. Work something out with the owner. If you have to do it for free a couple times until the owner sees that its working then that's fine. But once it takes off and people start showing up all the time you should be getting something for your time and lugging your gear around. Have fun. If you listen to any of this trust me on the starting slow. once or twice a month at the most. Ive seen to many open mics start up and die out within 6 months because they have it every week. 10 people show up one week and the two the next. The owner of the bargets discouraged and says forget it. Once or twice a month allows people to "plan" around it so to speak. Almost like an event. Have fun, good luck and please report back to us as to how its going.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

A guitar cable that has a switch built into one end. I believe they are known as no-pop cables. They are handy when a beginner unplugs before you have time to mute his channel.

Also, a magnetic guitar pickup that slips into the sound hole and has a long cable attached can come in handy when a guest does not have a pickup in his guitar. I think I used to use one made by Dean Markley.

Extra mics come in handy as well for instruments like guitar, banjo or fiddle that may not have pickups in them. I'd suggest a couple vocal mics and a couple instrument mics. I like to use SM58s and SM57s because everyone has used one before and they are reliable.

Apart from finding talent the biggest problems running an open mic are the volume and timing the performers. If you tell folks to play 3 songs there's always a guy who tries to do a 12 minute extended jam on his last song. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Make sure you can control the volume. Keep it down. Customers should be able to have a conversation without leaning across their tables and shouting. You don't want to drive away the folks that are just there for a drink.

Good luck with your open mic. I ran open mics for years and while it's a lot of work it can be a lot of fun too. Enjoy!

Last edited by Al Acuff; 07-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Talk to your insurance agent about the additional coverage you will need.

Will you need to secure a copy right license for folks that want to play or sing covers?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Talk to your insurance agent about the additional coverage you will need.

Will you need to secure a copy right license for folks that want to play or sing covers?
No, that is the obligation of the venue and not the performers or host.

My wife and I ran one for about 1.5 years. Sometimes fun, sometimes a hassle.

We did 3 song/15 minute limit - whichever came first. We did not offer a "house guitar" and I wouldn't recommend it unless it was just a used $100 beater. I would have two mics and two acoustic inputs. If a performer wants to be EVH, they should bring their own amp.

We would recycle through the list of people that signed up if we were short on performers. You will meet and deal with everything from seasoned/pro level players (we had an old guy play that played with Cab Calloway, seriously - he was awesome) to incompetent and untalented prima donas.

The most important thing is to have rules spelled out on the signup sheet and to stick to them. Let one guy so 4 songs and the next will want to do 5 or 6.

Good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 AM

Thanks thanks everybody, now I know how to do. I hope in September to organize one.
Thanks again everybody
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
No, that is the obligation of the venue and not the performers or host.
OP is in Italy. In the US it is certainly the responsibility of the venue owner, presumably it is in most of Europe as well, but it's certainly worth the time to verify who is responsible and how much the license is.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-16-2017, 02:27 AM

In Italy is responsability of the venue owner
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM

When starting out, you can get away with less equipment, but the most important thing is finding a venue - a place that will PAY YOU to dun the open mic and has a built-in clientele. If a venue expects you to fill up the room with your open mic attendees, you won't last long.
You need to advertise your open mic wherever possible to get people to come, including inviting all your friends - and telling them to tell people.
Since you mention amps, are you considering a jam (where people play together)? If so, it'll be tougher to get going unless you know people now who are interested in doing this.
Unless it's a jam, advertise it as an 'acoustic open mic', forget the amps, just user mixer and powered speakers (or amp/unpowered speakers, if that's what you have for a PA).
Music stand with a clip-on light.
2 mics and mic stands
Cables (and an extra XLR and 1/4" instrument cable, just in case)
In the many open mics I ran, there was only 1 regular performer whoever needed my soundhole pickup, 95% of the time, I brought it for nothing.

What I did buy (and now use all the time for myself) was a Radial PZ-Pre - it allows plugging 2 guitars in at a time with either/or/both option, but most importantly, has a mute switch. I keep it at the edge of the stage near the mixer, so can quickly mute someone before they unplugg their guitar!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, mic, open, open mic, organize