The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 AM

What is a jjb prestige 330? A mic? Do yall have any suggestions for pickups or mics that go inside the guitar? That lr brags lyric looks nice.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:02 AM

I also sawthe lr braggs anthem series. Which do yall think is best of that series?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan_D_Smith View Post
I also sawthe lr braggs anthem series. Which do yall think is best of that series?
Out of those two I'd go for the Anthem SL only because the Lyric can give you a boxy sound in the wrong guitar ... the Anthem is helped simply because you have two sources blending together ... in a way, they to some extent hide the bad effects of each other ... the mic takes away a lot of the nasty piezo quack by adding some "air" and the UST adds some of the (perceived) missing directness of the mic and hides much of the boxiness it can have in many guitars ... resulting in less EQ needed at or before the amp ...

... which leads to a point you need to consider ... you will most probably need some EQ between guitar and amp and the two LR Baggs systems you mention need more than most in my experience.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM

So even if i were to get the lr braggs anthem sl i would still need an eq pedal? Im trying to prevent having to carry an eq pedal around.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM

You never *need* EQ ... but it makes your guitar sound much better most of the time. You also don't *need* a preamp but even more so than EQ it helps your tone ... especially if you don't know what you will be plugging into.

Some pickups are totally passive (like K&K) ... both preamp and EQ need to be external. However, I think most have an internal preamp (often in the endpin jack) ... think Lyric, Anthem, Matrix, Element etc. ... and a few have preamp and EQ internal or side mounted in the guitar side.

In my experience ... and no doubt many others will have differing experiences ... soundhole mags have required the least additional EQ. After that, the pickup that needed the least for me was a D-Tar wavelength. They have little adjusters inside the preamp which you set and forget. For me the ones that needed the most external kit were the Lyric and K&K. Some here can run them without anything but I could never achieve this enviable goal.

Since you want no external kit you should look at pickups with internal preamp at the minimum and possibly some EQ control.

Possible candidates are D-Tar Wavelength (controls in endpin or soundhole), BBand ... controls in side of guitar, K&K with internal preamp ... found this interesting example here.

I'm sure others will chip in with additional suggestions ... or else there is always the Taki suggestion.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM

Trust me on this; go K&K, with an pre-amp (red eye [see http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?t=426827] if you can afford it, or K&K - K&K has one that attaches to your belt and one that is stand alone). If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can install the PU yourself; just follow directions carefully, and do practice runs 1st until your comfortable doing the actual install. You can take you guitar to any tech/luthier to have the endpin hole drilled out, and it won't cost you much. I took a guitar to a guy at a local music store, he did it right there, no charge. This is the simplest solution within your budget that gives you the best sound, notwithstanding that it will require you carry a small outboard preamp with you when you want to plug in (the K&K is often plug n play with good sound without the preamp, but that depends on what you're plugging into). Mic systems, albeit more expensive, are also a bit more complex and generally more feedback sensitive.

Edit: I see K&K has a PU with internal preamp and internal controls within your budget

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster

Last edited by earri; 04-25-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Anything you plug your guitar into, amp or PA, very likely has eq. If you get a passive pickup an acoustic guitar amp will probably have all you need to sound decent. For plugging into a PA you'll probably need at least an active (powered by phantom power or battery or other source) DI or some kind of external preamp of your choice. If you get an active pickup you should be able to plug directly into an amp or PA without an external preamp an be able to use the eq on that unit if necessary.

There are many pros and cons to any system / signal chain. Most of us have come to terms with some sort of affordable compromise that sounds good enough for our particular needs.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
What is a jjb prestige 330? A mic? Do yall have any suggestions for pickups or mics that go inside the guitar? That lr brags lyric looks nice.
A JJB Prestige 330 is a knock off of the K&K Pure Western Mini. It comes in 20mm and 15mm transducers. I recommend the 15s especially for dreadnaughts. The K&K's are 12.5mm. The JJB is not as hot as the K&K. Some that use the K&K do not use a preamp and go direct. I don't think this is a viable option for JJB pickups. I think the signal is too weak.

Bob.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM

So is there an anthem or a k&k with a preamp that fits into the guitar? Im confused. I thiught the k&k and the anthem series had a preamp already. Is there an eq i can put on my guitar without having to cut anything?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM

What is yalls opnion on the taylor expression system? I heard a demo comparing the k&k and they expression system and the expression system sounds better. Does it have a preamp?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So is there an anthem or a k&k with a preamp that fits into the guitar? Im confused. I thiught the k&k and the anthem series had a preamp already. Is there an eq i can put on my guitar without having to cut anything?
Quote:
What is yalls opnion on the taylor expression system? I heard a demo comparing the k&k and they expression system and the expression system sounds better. Does it have a preamp?
Preamps take a variety of forms. Several brands build the preamp onto the endpin jack and run a wire to a clip that holds the battery. Some of those have some controls like a volume control and maybe a tone control wheel. The Taylor Expression System puts the preamp on a circuit board that is mounted to the upper bout of the guitar where it's held in place by the volume, bass, and treble control knobs with wires running to the pickup and to the endpin where they also mount the battery. Some systems put the preamp unit inside the sound hole and they may have any variety of controls. Some styles of preamps are mounted on the side of the guitar where they cut a significant, rectangular hole to fit the unit with tone controls and a battery compartment - these are often referred to as 'barn door electronics.'

Take a look at the websites for Fishman and L.R. Baggs for many of those I described. Take a look at the Taylor site for their Expression System electronics as well as the Takamine site for their barn door systems.

The basic K&K pickup is the Pure Mini which is a passive (no battery, no preamp) pickup. They also offer a variety of preamps both built in and external options.

My opinion is that every system has it's fans and someone makes each one of them sound great, and each one has its share of haters.

I hope this helps
Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Recently purchased a Yamaha all solid LL16 . The pick up on it are passive they are called 'Zero Impact pick ups they are quite impressive for a passive pick up.

I was thinking of having the Fishman Prefix Plus T eq preamp. But that would mean getting my Luther to drill a reasonable size hole on the side of the guitar.

I may just get a LR Baggs Anthem instead that way I don't have to worry about holes been drilled in my all solid guitar.
I'm in two minds.

Dave
Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Often, it is a good idea to quietly do the research yourself, spending the hours necessary to learn about this stuff. That way, you won't need to ask so many questions.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 PM

So eveyone seems to be suggesting the k&k so that is an option for me but i like the sound of the lr baggs anthem and the taylor expression system more so but ill go with one of those three. K&k sounds gloomy compared to the other two products i just mentioned but its cheaper from what ive seen so maybe ill go with that. Does k&k have a preamp already or do i need to buy one seperately? Id prefer one that fits inside the guitar somewhere. I think the anthem series and the taylor es come with one already. Does anyone know of any eq that will fit on the guitar or in the sound hole (like the anthem)? Thank you all for the help. If i cant make a decision then ill go the k&k with redeye route lol
Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
i like the sound of the lr baggs anthem and the taylor expression system more so but ill go with one of those three.
If you weren't already aware, you won't be able to fit a Taylor expression system into your current guitar as they are not available as an aftermarket install, so that rules that option out.

Quote:
Does k&k have a preamp already or do i need to buy one seperately? Id prefer one that fits inside the guitar somewhere.
if you buy the K&K Pure Mini, this has no preamp
but there is the K&K Ultrapure preamp, which is a soundhole mounted preamp with a bunch of controls, if you want that, just get the whole Ultrapure system, which is the K&K pure mini + Ultrapure preamp.

FWIW, i wanted to install a pickup in my guitar a while back, its not the worlds greatest guitar, quite old, but it does sound surprisingly good. I ended up with the JJB Prestige 330 and a K&K beltpack preamp used off ebay. I'm very happy with the results, I didn't want to spent as much as the value of the guitar on electronics, so I went the slightly more budget route.
I'm pretty sure with a K&K instead of the JJB my sound would be 'slightly' better and with a better preamp perhaps another 'slight' gain, but for me, on this guitar, not better enough to warrant the extra cash.
I'm also a big advocate of the Anthem SL (the one with only the volume control in the soundhole) and if/when i finally get round to building myself my next guitar, the chances are very high that this will be the pickup I install.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
mic, pickups, preamp, work