The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem for Taylor GS5

Hi,

I am considering installing LR Baggs Anthem on my Taylor GS5. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with this pickup and could recommend a better alternative if any. I am looking at getting the most natural amplified sound out of my guitar and I will be playing it mostly at home.

I am assuming it is better to have a luthier install it?

Thanks,

Ilya
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 AM

Hi Ilya,

I'm very pleased with the Anthem SL which I have in a guitar. Its certainly the best sounding all-in-one system which I've installed. However, if you're looking for the most natural sound for a relatively quiet performance setting, you may want to wait for the new LR Baggs Lyric System. They are predicting that it will be available this winter, but those predictions tend to be optimistic (judging from past performance). You might have to wait 'til May or June.

Here's a link:

http://lrbaggs.com/lyric/
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM

The Lyric looks to be very interesting! Personally I don't like the piezo sound of the Anthem on the bottom end. The GS5 is a super warm sounding guitar so the piezo "snap" on the lowest notes may really be noticeable as compared to a brighter spruce-topped guitar. The Lyric sure looks promising!! If you like the Anthem sound, go for it. If you are uncomfortable doing your own installation, have a shop do it. Okay, now comes the portion of the thread where everyone recommends the K&K's...

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 12-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
recommend a better alternative if any. I am looking at getting the most natural amplified sound out of my guitar and I will be playing it mostly at home.
Acoustic amplification strategies are completely dependent on application. The application you predicate here is:
1. most natural amplified sound
2. playing at home.

In my opinion, this particual application would be best achieved by a good external mic going into a good acoustic amp.

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 12-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I have the Anthem SL system in both my 6 and 12 string Mark Angus hand-built guitars. I like the sound of the unit when amplified just fine... I do NOT hear any UST "quack" with he Element portion of the system covering just 140 hz. and below...

I run mine through a Bose L1 Model I Classic, using the 80 hz. low pass (?) preset; it requires very little tweaking this way...

If you are going to be using this at home, primarily, you should be aware that installing the Anthem is going to change the way your guitar sounds, unplugged; with some guitars, the change may be more dramatic than with others... in my case, I found the Anthem changed the sound of my Angus 6 string QUITE noticeably, and not for the better! This is a guitar that was made for me in 1979 and was my only 6 string acoustic for over 30 years; I'm a "professional" singer/songwriter/guitarist and I have played that Angus for so long that it's characteristic sound is imprinted on my aural DNA heavily!!! I was NOT happy about the way the Anthem changed the sound of that guitar, but I have kept it in the guitar; like I said previously, I like the way the system sounds in a live application.

You might want to research the K&K Pure Western Mini; I have that installed in my Goodall Grand Concert and I like it a lot... it's relatively inexpensive (approx. $125 installed) and can be used without any sort of pre-amp... although I like mine better with an external pre-amp.

Just be forewarned: If you like the sound of your GS now, you may not like what happens with the Anthem installed... especially because of your assertion that this will be mainly for "at home" playing and messing about... I would consider another alternative, were I you...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I have installed a few Anthems SL pickups and like the tone. The installation is straight forward. The 2 steps requiring the most attention is drilling the bridge and cutting the saddle height. The most important step for me was prepping the work area, guitar, and mind to be careful.

I don't have an issue with the UST on the BASS because I hated what USTs do to the trebles.

I hope the new Lyric I smooths out the tone more and I like the idea of leaving the bridge and saddle intact. I agree with others that a UST impacts the acoustic tone.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

I am glad that I posted this thread because I was unaware that the installation of a pickup can change the acoustic sound for the worse. I may want to wait and maybe get a Taylor BTO with the pickups already factory installed.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Hi,

I am considering installing LR Baggs Anthem on my Taylor GS5. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with this pickup and could recommend a better alternative if any. I am looking at getting the most natural amplified sound out of my guitar and I will be playing it mostly at home.

I am assuming it is better to have a luthier install it?

Thanks,

Ilya
An external condenser mic will be the best choice for "getting the most natural amplified sound out of my guitar" while "playing it mostly at home".
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

One has to ask.... Why would you want to play amplified at home. Amplified almost never sounds as good as the natural guitar sound. Why not take advantage of not needing to be amplified (because you're at home), and enjoy the natural sound? Not trying to be sarcastic, it's a serious question that might help you make the right choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
gs5, lr baggs, pickup, taylor