The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-20-2015, 06:09 PM

Question Strange balalaika problem ?!

Hi folks! I have tried a balalaika (russian traditional string instrument with three or more strings) few days ago and it wasn't in very good shape and I knew that. But I have encountered a problem that I could never imagine it is possible. Every fret I pressed string on, produced the exact same sound! It is literally defying law of physics! Could you guys explain me what is the problem and is it and how possible to fix it?
Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Is it fretting out somewhere higher on the fret board?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
Is it fretting out somewhere higher on the fret board?
I think it is not fretting out, but I don't really understand what do you mean by fretting out. It does sound okay but the same sound is playing through the whole fretboard on one string amd the same problem is with all other strings
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 AM

What I meant as that, due to a high fret or a warp in the neck, there may be a fret up where the neck meets the instrument body that makes contact with the string when you depress the string lower on the fret board. Then that high fret would either cause a buzz or tone relative to itself rather than the fret your finger is at.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
What I meant as that, due to a high fret or a warp in the neck, there may be a fret up where the neck meets the instrument body that makes contact with the string when you depress the string lower on the fret board. Then that high fret would either cause a buzz or tone relative to itself rather than the fret your finger is at.
It is possible that the string is touching some fret near the body and it is producing sound of that fret instead of frets I was pressing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
balalaika, fret, problem, strange, string