The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2024, 08:55 AM

Default Moises

I'm being peppered with ads for Moises.ai, which apparently is an app for making backing tracks by taking a recording and removing various instruments as desired. It sounds similar to LALAL.ai.

It sounds promising, and they're offering a free trial, but I'm suspicious. First, they seem to be saying that once you download it on one of your devices, it's available to all (i.e., download it on your iMac, and it appears on your iPhone, too). I'm always suspicious of cross-platform fertilization. Second, they never say what the product is going to cost after the free trial.

Does anyone have experience with this product?
Old 01-30-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I’d not heard of this before, so went to have a look at their website. The lack of pricing information is annoying. I had to go digging into their Terms to find any mention of it:

IMG_1706627077.382891.jpg

So, you have to sign up before they’ll tell you how much it costs.

No thanks.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-30-2024, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I installed the app on my phone, but haven’t used it or paid for it yet, if I ever do.

It says $39.99 yearly at currently 44% off.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:02 AM

I use this app often, for separating instruments to help with transcription. I don't use it to make backing tracks, although it's obviously ideal for that. It's excellent at isolating/removing vocals. Not quite so good at separating guitars from similar instruments. It's pretty good at transcribing lyrics too! Not 100% reliable, but has picked up words that I've found hard to hear. I use it alongside Transcribe! (downloading the separated tracks to work on in Transcribe, becuase I prefer that interface).

The free version only allows one (or two?) levels of separation, and limits the number of tracks you can work on in a month. I found I wanted to use it more than that, and paid for the premium version - cheap enough.

The one thing I find irritating is that it's online only. You can download a desktop app, but every time I open that it goes online anyway - and then I have to enter my ID and password each time. But working directly online, no re-entering is required - I just start typing in "moises" in the browser and it opens on my library straight away. So, don't bother with a desktop/laptop interface, it's a waste of time.

I can see how one might be suspicious about privacy and sharing of data. That doesn't bother me, for the way I use it. Maybe it should, but it doesn't! Obviously if you discover anything you find concerning I'd be interested to know.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I find the app very useful. I am currently looking for a mic to use with my Samsung S23 ultra to improve the recording of my acoustic guitar.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

In the past on my albums, I've recorded all instruments I want to back my vocals. Even if you wanted to copy someone else's arrangement, which I can't imagine, surely it would be a an IP legal issue.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
. . . Does anyone have experience with this product?
Not on a bet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write