The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-22-2024, 08:43 AM

Default Is this in open C tuning?

Ben's guitar, that is. The bass riff at the start of the verses seems to be played there.

I haven't really checked out Hannah's part, but maybe she's in open G?

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 01-22-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:03 AM

Dunno. For open C, I use McMurtry tuning: CGDGBD, with a capo at the fifth fret on all the strings except the C.

They sound great. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-22-2024, 09:14 AM

It's C Wahine tuning, CGDGBE.

It's a favorite of mine and I have a list of dozens of songs I like to use it for. I have a topic here on AGF that I posted entitled "Adventures in CGDGBE"

Coincidentally, John Leventhal revealed in part three of his Truetone Lounge interview that it's his secret weapon tuning and uses it regularly for both acoustic guitar and his Telecaster work. See 24:30 in the video for tuning.

Watch John use a variant when doing Farewell Angelina with his lovely wife:

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-22-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Dunno. For open C, I use McMurtry tuning: CGDGBD, with a capo at the fifth fret on all the strings except the C.

They sound great. Thanks for the post!
If you search around on Youtube you can find a complete show at the Shrewsbury folk festival.

He's not capoed, so I may try C tuning. She's capoed all the way across and her C chord looks like she's in open G. I'll try to flail at this a bit more tomorrow.

D.H.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's C Wahine tuning, CGDGBE.

It's a favorite of mine and I have a list of dozens of songs I like to use it for. I have a topic here on AGF that I posted entitled "Adventures in CGDGBE"

Coincidentally, John Leventhal revealed in part three of his Truetone Lounge interview that it's his secret weapon tuning and uses it regularly for both acoustic guitar and his Telecaster work. See 24:30 in the video for tuning.

Watch John use a variant when doing Farewell Angelina with his lovely wife:

Thanks for the Leventhal videos. (I think of this as the Vincent Black Lightning tuning.) John is a great player and not talked about much.

The reason I think he might be in open C is I think he's getting an E at the 4th fret, 4th string, so that string is tuned down if so.

D.H.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thanks for the Leventhal videos. (I think of this as the Vincent Black Lightning tuning.) John is a great player and not talked about much.

The reason I think he might be in open C is I think he's getting an E at the 4th fret, 4th string, so that string is tuned down if so.

D.H.
Yes, R.T. uses it occasionally. It's usually associated with Hawaiian Slack Key, but it has found its way into other types of music.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:49 PM

Seems to me Ben's tuning is CGCGCD C-Modal. Whatever it is, it's a terrific tune from an awesome duo.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Seems to me Ben's tuning is CGCGCD C-Modal. Whatever it is, it's a terrific tune from an awesome duo.
Thanks! I've tuned a guitar to open C and worked on it a bit. I've pretty much stayed off the first string, though. I'll give modal C a try next. Of course, playing it up to speed and singing too will be the hard part.

I wasn't familiar with these guys, but got their latest CD, Ink of the Rosy Morning, and have been playing it a lot.

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write