The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default SBAIC and Sexauer Guitars

I have never previously gotten directly involved in the production/promotion of a guitar show, but that comes to an end now with the Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration's 2017 event. That's to say; SBAIC. I had a great time at last year inaugural SBAIC production, and found that the promoter (we'll call him Kevin) was seriously committed to getting it right, and though the first event was in many ways a learning experience, this second effort is going to benefit enormously from being built on its predecessor. Not so sure I assembled that statement right, but the upshot is that I like Kevin's style and am supporting his future; SBAIC/'17.

I am doing this not only by attending the show, but also by sponsoring it. I have made a guitar which will be given away on the final day of the show. All day tickets will have a stub which can be dropped into a bin on my table and one will be drawn on Sunday. That ticket's buyer will be presented with my guitar. If you attend three days you get three chances. There is no other way to get a chance.

Here is a picture of the guitar, and here is a link to my website's page on the guitar:

I am also making one guitar specifically to show at the event. I am going to be documenting this build in this thread starting now, though I have been working on it for three days and there are a few earlier steps documented in my on going blog thread; Sexauer/'17 (Chapter 2). This guitar is a Pernambuco/Adirondack Modified Dreadnought loosely in the style of Ervin Somogyi, though of course does not benefit from his tutelage in any way, it is actually purely Sexauer. It should be very interesting to see what happens!

The sides are bent, and the first of 4 sections is installed. In keeping with the style I am emulating, the radius of the bend is looser on this cutaway than on most of my previous efforts:

Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate your involvement Bruce, looking forward to catching up and playing your fine gits...!!! See ya there...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have all but installed the sides onto the top of the Pernambuco Mod-D. This is pretty typical construction for me, except that the cutaway is carried ALMOST all the was to the side template. As you can see, I have put a little bit of spin on the shape as I am wont to do:

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I like it...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tribute to Bill Collings

While I am sure Bill made many contributions to lutherie beyond my knowledge, I know he made a big difference in the standards for cleanliness in the inside of a guitar. I have not always been thankful for this. But good housekeeping is not a bad thing, and the industry rose to something like Bill's standards. The following two pictures are meant to illustrate this.

The first is the 18 peone I installed since my last post an hour or so ago. There is no real structural reason to clean up the HHG that beads around most of the peone, in fact they may even add a bit to the strength of the connection, not that it is needed. But the market is now holding us all to Bill's standard, so the second picture show what a little warm water and a toothbrush accomplishes. Yes, I could have gone further, but I'm not Bill Collings. I hope to make anything like as much difference in our world as he did.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Beautiful guitar Bruce!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the fourth and final side bit going in as well as the ribbons to mitigate crack traveling:

Old 07-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Looking good, Bruce! Can't wait to try it out and see the raffle guitar guitar in SB.

Thanks for your sponsorship and participation in the show. See ya then!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM

I have said it before, but I love the way you construct the box with no forms. Cut the top and glue the sides to it, no forms, no two guitars exactly the same....I am sure there are others, but I don't think on the AGF there is anyone else that I recall doing it that way. Thank you also for your kind words for Mr. Collings and his influences.

I hope you have a good time at the show. There will be one very lucky person there for sure.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have said it before, but I love the way you construct the box with no forms. Cut the top and glue the sides to it, no forms, no two guitars exactly the same....I am sure there are others, but I don't think on the AGF there is anyone else that I recall doing it that way. Thank you also for your kind words for Mr. Collings and his influences.

I hope you have a good time at the show. There will be one very lucky person there for sure.
I have directly influenced a few people to try this approach, and I think that Fred (Printer2) is one such in the forum.

I have hoped to meet you, Tom, and perhaps we will both be at Woodstock this year? If so, please do identify yourself to me.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wonder how many of the builders here document their builds "real time"? Doesn't matter much, perhaps, but inquiring minds and all that.

I expect to have this back on in about 20 minutes. I have only to relieve the sides and kerfed linings to receive the back braces and on she goes!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

What is the depth at the neck and end?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll measure it for you tomorrow when I trim the back to fit the ribs. I think it is just shy of 3 7/8 x 4 5/8 on the centerline but I never did think to measure it.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have directly influenced a few people to try this approach, and I think that Fred (Printer2) is one such in the forum.

I have hoped to meet you, Tom, and perhaps we will both be at Woodstock this year? If so, please do identify yourself to me.

I very much hope to be in Woodstock again this year although last was very expensive for me.....my life is a little in flux right now, 2 homes and a business for sale and an impending move to the Lone Star state...the timing of all of this is left to fate so if I am able to be there, you can be sure I will find your booth among the chaos that is ever present (in a good way)! Crowds or lack thereof is not an issue at the Woodstock festival!!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM

OK, this is one of those times where it really stinks to have my job, where I'm overseas and can't make a special trip when I would most like to. I actually contacted Bruce in 2012 about a walnut WRX he was building, but was unable to make things work because of my job. These guitars are so beautiful!! If I were in CONUS I would have all my family and friends at this show just to increase my chances. Just the usual work by Bruce Sexauer.

And then there is the Pernambuco!? Does it never end?

Last edited by pgilmor; 07-22-2017 at 07:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop