The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Had no intention of buying a guitar today

I think I said on another thread that I'm a sucker for a good deal whether it's something I need or not. I've been scoping out Blueridge guitars for a while and today I happened on an incredible deal on Amazon for a Blueridge br-63 with a hardshell case. I wondered if the price was a mistake. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say here so I won't.
I know buying guitars on Amazon is dicey. I've had good and bad experiences. But I feel better that it's being shipped in a hard case.
It said that it was the last one they had and I noticed after that the price more than doubled "once available."
I would normally try to buy from one of our sponsors but I don't think Maury would have been at all enthusiastic about matching that price. He surely would have lost money.
What are your experiences of buying guitars on Amazon? Would you buy one there if it was an insanely good price?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

If it was an insanely good prices, sure I would buy it. Amazon stands behind stuff they sell.

Amazon prices fluctuate too, and sometimes there are steals for an hour or so.

Do you have the CamelCamelCamel app for your browser? It tracks Amazon prices for you, and graphs out highs and lows, and notifies you if something hits a price you have designated. It's free too- a neat thing to have.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Bought my Godin CW II from Amazon a few years ago, for just over $600 ($995 street) - no issues, no problems, just got through playing it a little while ago...
Old 01-15-2017, 04:23 PM

No I don't have that app Gmountain but thanks for enabling!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
If it was an insanely good prices, sure I would buy it. Amazon stands behind stuff they sell.

Amazon prices fluctuate too, and sometimes there are steals for an hour or so.

Do you have the CamelCamelCamel app for your browser? It tracks Amazon prices for you, and graphs out highs and lows, and notifies you if something hits a price you have designated. It's free too- a neat thing to have.
Good to know- thanks for the info!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:14 PM

I bought a guitar off Amazon that arrived completely wrecked. Filled out the return form, printed the prepaid shipping label, sent it back and they refunded my money.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 PM

I bought a Recording King OM from Amazon last spring and it was good to go. I still have it and play it often.

Around Christmas they had a really good deal on a Recording King Dread. It was not good to go, neck issues, etc. I could have asked for a replacement, but I decided to bail on it. Of course with Amazon, it didn't cost me anything to try it. Hopefully yours will be in good shape.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM

If you can return it if you don't like it it will only cost you the shipping to find out. Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Never bought a guitar from Amazon, but they have been very easy to deal with on several items that I had returned over the years. Unless I remember wrong, they cover return shipping.
I hope your BR 63 is as good as mine - I got a BR 63AS (63 with an Adirondack spruce top & a sunburst finish) two or three years ago, & after lowering the action a bit & getting a good setup, it has been an amazingly good instrument. Comfortable to play, and it has excellent tone, sustain & volume for an OM with laminated B&S.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Funny... I think I started a thread once with same title!!

Congrats on your new BR Guitar!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.
It will be interesting. I've never played this model but I love ooo's and I love the Blueridge neck. I think it's been 20 years since I had a guitar with laminate B & S but I couldn't resist. It could be a stepping stone to a br-163.
Dave
Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 PM

So was the price in the$630.00 range? Maury has it for way less than that.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaokemonk View Post
Thanks for the replies.
It will be interesting. I've never played this model but I love ooo's and I love the Blueridge neck. I think it's been 20 years since I had a guitar with laminate B & S but I couldn't resist. It could be a stepping stone to a br-163.
Dave
I bought my BR-240A on Amazon under exactly the same conditions. It arrived a little dried out but after humidification and a setup it was good to go. Great guitar. I think you're going to like the 63 too. It's a great size that I've come to prefer over dreads.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 PM

Bought two: a Yamaha and a Gretsch electric, both perfect, insanely great prices.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:09 AM

Go for it. And here in Holland, a new BR63 is about 450 euros. I got myself a BR60 dread last year and its the best sounding dread I have ever heard (well, live). Amazon is alright. Havent had any issues.

Cant go wrong with a BR. (you might have to sand down the saddle though. The action is usually quite high)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion