The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Question Non-K&K pickup recommendation for Dreadnought JR

Heya Folks,

I'm looking for a pickup recommendation for the Martin Dreadnought JR aside from the very popular K&K pure mini. I have two 15 series Martin's with K&K's installed in them and while they great plugged into a PA (with a little tweaking on a preamp) they are somewhat less satisfactory on my small Roland AC-33. However much I try to eq them I can't seem to get a sound that I like.

As I'm hoping to busk with my DR JR I'm looking for a relatively cost friendly pickup that will have a different sound.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks AGF!

-Z.

Last edited by Zhoken; 08-10-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:15 PM

What kind of sound do you prefer?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Strange - all my instruments have K&Ks, and they sound great through my Roland AC60.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM

I hope this helps some. The dread Jr has a full sized slot so you should be able to use a UST. If you want budget friendly sound board transducer try the BBand product. SpruceTop put it in his Dread Jr. He indicated he was happy with it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Well, do you have any requirements? Does it have to be a SBT, or are you ok with a UST or mag? Does it need to be active or passive?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 PM

I am going to say to you the same thing I say to everyone who asks this question. I recommend Dazzo.

Right now he is making his newest batch by hand. He spends zero dollars on advertising. He will pause long enough to answer your phone call.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM

I'll put myself out there for an attack...
I have had 4 or 5 K and K mini's and I am just not that impressed by them. They are OK for the money but that is it. I always have had to use them dual source. I also have a bit of an issue putting a 2-$400 pickup system in a $500 (new) guitar. Just doesn't make sense to me. My son had an Fishman Rare Earth.. Didn't really care for it. (I use Sunrise or Krivo on most guitars). A few months ago I picked up a Fishman Neo D Single Coil with 3 sets of D'Addario strings from Strings and Beyond for $34..Delivered... For the cheapest pickup I have ever purchased I was quite surprised. I did run it through a Fishman Platinum Stage pre-amp. I ended up selling the Eastman it was in, but I am picking up either a Taylor GS Mini or Martin D JR next week and I already ordered another Neo D for $35 delivered from S & B. I have to justify where I would be playing that guitar with that pickup. If I played the Ryman or Carnegie hall, I wouldn't use that guitar or pickup. But for busking or jamming at the local bar, for myself, that Neo D can't be beat for the buck....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4vgfV_AtvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmMW1frHpik

Last edited by MartyGraw; 08-11-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM

This....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeArmond-260...kAAOSwq9lZgPIQ
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I installed B-Band A1.2N-1470 AST (<$100) in my Martin Dreadnought Jr. Sounds pretty good! If money is no object, Trance Audio Amulet M-VT ($319 and includes audiophile-grade endpin preamp).
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I don't have much of a preference for pickups aside from trying to find something that is somewhat natural sounding. I prefer passive if possible but I'm not opposed to an active pickup.

I'm really interested in these Dazzo pickups but I think that may be overkill for a DR JR that is mostly going to be for busking. I have a 000-15m and a Martin J-15 with K&K's, although now I wish I would have heard of Dazzo's before installing the latest K&K in the 000-15m, just to get to compare the two and see which one I prefer.

I've never heard of the B-Band A1.2N-1470, isn't that type of pickup similar to the K&K (being a SBT?) What natural sounding is it? martingitdave (thanks again for the list!) seems to list peizo quack as one of it's weakness,

I'm also considered trying out the JBB 330 as a cheaper alternative to the K&K but since that does seem to sound good on my AC-33 I'm not sold.

I even run my K&K through a fire-eye redeye pre amp and I still seem to get quite a muffled and quacky sound out of it. -_-

Any other relatively affordable suggestions?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Non-K&amp;K pickup recommendation for Dreadnought JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoken View Post

I don't have much of a preference for pickups aside from trying to find something that is somewhat natural sounding. I prefer passive if possible but I'm not opposed to an active pickup.

I'm really interested in these Dazzo pickups but I think that may be overkill for a DR JR that is mostly going to be for busking. I have a 000-15m and a Martin J-15 with K&K's, although now I wish I would have heard of Dazzo's before installing the latest K&K in the 000-15m, just to get to compare the two and see which one I prefer.

I've never heard of the B-Band A1.2N-1470, isn't that type of pickup similar to the K&K (being a SBT?) What natural sounding is it? martingitdave (thanks again for the list!) seems to list peizo quack as one of it's weakness,

I'm also considered trying out the JBB 330 as a cheaper alternative to the K&K but since that does seem to sound good on my AC-33 I'm not sold.

I even run my K&K through a fire-eye redeye pre amp and I still seem to get quite a muffled and quacky sound out of it. -_-

Any other relatively affordable suggestions?

AeroUSA is recommending the Fishman RareEarth Mic that is sound-hole mounted. That might be a good option. Otherwise, realistically, you've tried most of them - same as us. They are all a compromise of sorts. :-)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoken View Post

I've never heard of the B-Band A1.2N-1470, isn't that type of pickup similar to the K&K (being a SBT?) What natural sounding is it?
B-Band systems are Made In Finland. The B-Band A1.2N-1470 AST is just the AST (SBT) pickup. I believe the AST band pickup is why the company has Band in its B-Band name. It comes with an endpin preamp and is quite easy to install. It's my first-ever B-Band system and sounds quite natural and I have no regrets about installing it in my Martin Dreadnought Junior.

Please note that there is also a battery-box that is part of this system:

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM

I have a Takamine GS330s with a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup that I think sounds pretty good. When plugged directly into some PA's it can get quacky, my Zoom A3 or PADI cleans it right up. When plugged directly into my Fishman Loudbox Mini, very good tone and no quack. I'm not a purist for acoustic tone and so the sound of the under saddle pickup doesn't bother me.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 AM

If I'm being honest... I am just not all that picky over pretty much any pickup I've tried over the last 10 years or so. They are all pretty good through my PA and any house systems I have used. I like the K&K in my Kronbauer, the stock Baggs in my Guild is good, the iBeam I have in my Seagull is good, and I like the Fishman Prefix in my Rainsong (although I have to fix the High E volume or that system is going away).

They each have their own EQ tweaks but I generally seem to get a good enough tone even plugging direct... and if I experience something off (boomy, etc.) I go right into my Raven labs which gives me plenty of control over the tone.

I don't know... maybe I'm just not that picky? For me... if I can hear everything in the mix on stage? I am as happy as happy can be. If I can hear well enough to get into a nice pocket with my drummer and Bass player... and then hear myself on leads? I'm ecstatic. The mix levels are so, SO much more important to me than the tonal nuances I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification