The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 AM

Default Good software for songwriting

Hi

Anyone with good experience on software for songwriting with guitar chords (where you can enter your own by pointing at the strings on the frets).

The ones I've tried out have been either irritatingly bad UI, or way to complicated scoring software.

What I'm looking for is an easy to use, uncluttered program that gives you instant access to the songwriting process. Wich I find the most important, Something like EZ KEys, for guitar.
If it is midi-exportable is a +, but not really a dealbreaker.

iPhone or Windows machine.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Hi

Anyone with good experience on software for songwriting with guitar chords (where you can enter your own by pointing at the strings on the frets).

The ones I've tried out have been either irritatingly bad UI, or way to complicated scoring software.

What I'm looking for is an easy to use, uncluttered program that gives you instant access to the songwriting process. Wich I find the most important, Something like EZ KEys, for guitar.
If it is midi-exportable is a +, but not really a dealbreaker.

iPhone or Windows machine.
May not be the answer you're looking for, but there are two things that make songwriting fast, simple, and easy to archive or demonstrate to others.

1. Pencil and pad of paper.

You don't have to wait on something to boot up and it's instantly available when the inspiration hits. It's a good idea to keep a small notebook with you at all times, even if it's jotting down an idea in the coffee shop. You can always massage your scratchings into an actual document with chord changes, etc. when you get a bit of quality computer time.

2. A cheap handheld recorder.

Verbalizing the name and throwing down a quick melody idea to a complete scratch track of an entire song, the portable recorder does it all with a minimum of fuss. You can even do simple overdubs on some of the better handhelds. I highly recommend their use. The Tascam DR-05 is my weapon of choice, as I also use it for playing my current favorite music, plugging into a stereo with an auxiliary input.

If you need a quick n' easy speaker system for your handheld I can advise the Creative D100:

http://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-d100

For around $50 it gives you the option of a completely portable stereo system that can accept a standard plug-in cable or also Bluetooth compatible devices.

These three items will give you a great songwriter's toolbox. (External speaker not strictly necessary...)

All that's left is the creation process!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Well, a pad and pencil always work and have the advantage of being traditional!

However, my modern take on it is to use Ulysses for Mac and IOS. This is a simple text only editor which synchronises content between Macs, iPads and iPhones using iCloud. It means I can play with lyrics wherever I am and know that they will all be synchronised via the cloud. A great system this.
Martin J40
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Thank you both for your input :-)

I use the iPhone as a quick recorder, but my bandmate has a dedicated little recorder and I agree it's better. But there are those times where I don't have any instrument close by (or don't wanna to play any). For those quiet, moments of mind composing with headphones anywhere. A nice software for that would be nice. All I've tried so far have been toys.

I'm gonna try out Songtive for the iPhone.

Others with tips on songwriting...

Last edited by Northward; 09-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...The Tascam DR-05 is my weapon of choice, as I also use it for playing my current favorite music

Did you choose this model for a spesific reason? (There are such a plethora of choices..)

I own a Bluetooth speaker/amp. Not as stylish as the one you recommended, but it's got a mic input and can be used as a mini PA. (Samson Expedition Express)

Last edited by Northward; 09-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Did you choose this model for a spesific reason? (There are such a plethora of choices..)

I own a Bluetooth speaker/amp. Not as stylish as the one you recommended, but it's got a mic input and can be used as a mini PA. (Samson Expedition Express)
I previously owned a Zoom H1 and it was a bit of a PITA, so when I went shopping for a different handheld I came up with a laundry list of wants, somewhat in order of importance:

1. Buttons on the FRONT with a good positive feel to them.

2. A display that is easy to see and displays information in an easy to decipher format.

3. Good battery life, choice of recording formats, ease of transfer to and from PC.

The Tascam DR-05 fulfills all these points and is hands down easier than the Zoom H1.

The Zoom H1 can also be used as a usb mic, but that's not important to me as I have a audio interface for my PC and several good mics to use it with.

The Tascam has omni mics (I prefer the X-Y configuration for quick and easy recording) but I can live with the omni configuration.

The Tascam DR-05 feels like a quality and solid unit, not the case with the Zoom H1.

The Tascam DR-05 works quite nicely as an mp3 player since you can set up folders for your music, the Zoom H1 only offers consecutive music files to index through one at a time.

The Tascam DR-05 does have menus, but they are quick and easy to navigate.

The Tascam DR-05 also has an overdub function that is really simple to use. Don't expect to do radio-ready songs, but it's good to archive simple ideas on.

I'm not anti-Zoom, and I have an R24 that I've recorded several full CD projects on for a few different bands, but the H1 leaves a lot to be desired in the hand held recorder department.

As for other brands, there was nothing in the sub-$100 category that seemed to be a contender.

Hopefully this isn't "too much information"!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:37 PM

+1 on the Tascam DR-05. I've had mine for a few years. It drives my AKG K702 headphones very well and that combo sounds really natural.

DR-05 is nice and simple to use. I don't find the Zoom H2 or H4 easy to use but they do sound good.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-26-2016, 01:02 PM

Good stuff!
User recommendations are the best

Thanks ya'll!
(I wish I could speak 'cowboy' haha.. I would've got the Gibson-J-45 Ebony and a white hat in a heartbeat..)

I may just get that cool pickguard for my Yamaha.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 PM

music memos for the iphone. great free app. includes a drum and bass part if you wish. also analyzes the music and shows the chords or notes, if you wish. perfect for grabbing those ideas that you THOUGHT you could remember the next morning.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
music memos for the iphone. great free app. includes a drum and bass part if you wish. also analyzes the music and shows the chords or notes, if you wish. perfect for grabbing those ideas that you THOUGHT you could remember the next morning.

play music!

Yup, I use that thing. It good for capturing ideas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD