The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Flying into Boston

I'm flying into Boston this Friday. My wife and I decided to take advantage of a Southwest Airlines flash sale.

What should we do?

She's leaning toward a coastal Maine drive - maybe staying in Portland or Bar Harbor.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM

OMG - where do I start? New England in the autumn is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The Maine coast is beautiful, but so is the ride north into places like Peterborough NH and RT 100 in Vermont.

So my suggestions:
1) visit the Music Emporium (closed on Sunday) in Lexington Mass (and the Lexington National Park would be a great place to experience autumn.)
2) Eat Lobster and chowder
3) make rustling noises while walking through piles of leaves
4) breathe in the beautiful autumn air.
5) bring a windbreaker!
6) take in a show at Club Passim in Cambridge

Have a great time! For all of the issues in my home state (cost of living and budget deficits) I still would choose this part of the world over any other.

best,

Rick
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

“srick” makes some great suggestions. Having lived (and loved living) my entire life in NE, it would be hard to say what you should see. I will point out that your best chance at decent foliage might be through mid VT right now. However it is not a great year for fall foliage by NE standards due to the drought we had last year. It’s still pretty and there is much to enjoy. IMO Portland and a coastal trip would be fun, but probably recommend driving a loop that brings you into mid-VT and down the CT River valley back into MA where you can pick up RT 2 East back to Beantown. Stop along the way and enjoy. Happy travels.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
G625 mistral-k

There is so many choices and so many options, so here are a few ideas

If you are staying in Boston, do the Freedom Trail.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/freed...al-sites.shtml

We spent 3/4 of a Saturday doing it years ago, and adding in meals it became a full day event.

The Maine Coast is gorgeous and we really love Booth Bay Harbor and the botanical gardens just outside of town are worth the visit.

The Kancamagus Highway is another treat. I would suggest lodging in North Conway at the Coral Gables Inn if rooms are available. Make sure you go to May Kelly's for some grub, absolutely the best in N. Conway. In fact, we will be there on Saturday evening as we head up for 4 days of hiking. There are plenty of hikes off the "Kanc" as well as scenic stops. Just beware, there are no services along the 35 mile route.

https://www.myscenicdrives.com/drive...s-scenic-byway

Take a ferry ride and spend a day on Cape Cod or just drive 90 minutes from Boston to Newport, RI a seaside town with quite a lot of character. You may also take in the mansions and do the Cliff Walk

http://www.newportmansions.org/explore

http://www.newport-discovery-guide.c...liff-walk.html
Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM

You already have some great recommendations. I think Haasome's driving tour sounds terrific if you want to be driving and seeing fall colors on this trip.

You could spend a couple delightful days just walking around Boston...my wife and I did that about three weeks ago, just walking along the Charles River, strolling the Back Bay neighborhood, visiting the Boston Public Garden and nearby areas.

Eat some oysters! Any good quality restaurant or upscale bar will do (and even a few funky establishments will have good oysters). If you really want an oyster treat, try Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston. Pricey, but pretty much unparalleled for quality and selection.

If you drive up to Maine, York is a sweet little town just over the border, and there are other delightful smaller town in that area.

Cape Cod is much quieter now than it was in the Summer. The beaches are just as beautiful though.

It is a great time to come to New England...I'm sure it will b a fine trip!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Take a little trip out North and West on the 2A to Lexington and Concord, where the first pitched battle of the Revolutionary War was fought, April 19th, 1775. If you listen carefully you might just hear the last ringout of "the shot heard 'round the world." While you are there, take in Walden Pond.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Coastal Maine is beautiful any time of the year. I like Boothbay Harbor but you can't go wrong anywhere you stop.

If you decide to head south to see Newport then Providence is well worth a visit as well, especially if you like Italian food.

We are expecting another warm weekend. This is not typical New England fall weather and the leaves are not yet spectacular, at least in southern areas. Head north and inland to VT, ME or NH for the best foliage right now.

I have to put in a word for Connecticut. If you have any interest in history and/or maritime history, then Mystic Seaport is probably one of the top spots in the world to visit. Less than 2 hours from Boston. Many years ago we hosted a young female exchange student from Japan. She went all over the country, and said the Seaport was her favorite destination. It is a very peaceful place in the fall. Surrounded by water and old wooden ships, you feel like you are living in another century. For lobster head over to the Noank section of Groton (just over the Mystic River) for waterfront casual dining at Abbott's.

If you like pizza head down the road another hour to New Haven for the best in the world. I prefer Pepe's over Sally's, but go with whichever one has the shorter line. They are across the street from each other in Wooster Square. I recommend the white clam pie at Pepe's...but you have to be OK with lots of garlic.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

No-one has yet mentioned Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard - we enjoyed both.

I didn't enjoy driving in Boston, and I've driven in London, Paris, Dallas, Austin, Sacramento, Santa fe, Spain and Greece etc.

Second time we went back - we travelled by train from Lowell. Stood looking like confused tourists with an upside down map, in that enormous railway station and a smartly dressed lady came up to us, and said "I suspect you are new to our city - can I help you?" ... utterly charming. I'd like to think that London would be so courteous but I doubt it.

We did the "walk" around the city too.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
If you like pizza head down the road another hour to New Haven for the best in the world. I prefer Pepe's over Sally's, but go with whichever one has the shorter line. They are across the street from each other in Wooster Square. I recommend the white clam pie at Pepe's...but you have to be OK with lots of garlic.
Connecticut pizza is arguably the best in the world!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks!

Would it be worth driving up to Acadia National Park?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Don't forget to eat some Clam Chowwwwda! It's wicked pissah!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post

Depends what you are looking for. It is beautiful and a hike up Cadillac Mt would be very nice. It’s a fairly long drive from Boston, but interesting things to see along the way — especially if this is your first trip to the area. I always enjoy visiting Bar Harbor. It is quintessential Maine fare and the summer vacationers will be gone. There might be foliage traffic, but not as much as NH or VT.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:

How long u going for. As mentioned, Acadia is a bit of a drive from Boston, and it takes u off the beaten path a bit..... Especially if you want to see other sites... White Mountains in New Hampshire as example.

Acadia is beautiful, as I usually go camping there every other year or so, but you can probably get the Maine coast experience without going up that far (if time constraints exist??)

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
How long u going for. As mentioned, Acadia is a bit of a drive from Boston, and it takes u off the beaten path a bit..... Especially if you want to see other sites... White Mountains in New Hampshire as example.

Acadia is beautiful, as I usually go camping there every other year or so, but you can probably get the Maine coast experience without going up that far (if time constraints exist??)
We are staying till Monday.

So many options...so little time.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
We are staying till Monday.

So many options...so little time.
Not a lot of time as u say. So I would say Acadia is out. I would (IMHO) stay around the Boston Area. A lot to do right in Boston. For the ocean experience, check out Rockport and Gloucester (Perfect Storm Movie) Mass. Nice shops and restaurants. Spend a night there. Depending on traffic, not much more than an hour drive north of Boston. Lexington and Concord if you are into the history stuff.... Close by to Boston. For only 3 'ish days, you don't want to spend all your time in the car.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut

Last edited by gjd100; 10-11-2017 at 01:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic